Sign in to follow this  
toblix

No, I'll restart my computer later

Is it? I almost always choose it. In fact the occasional app which doesn't give you the option is infuriating, especially if you have other stuff running.

Is it? I almost always choose it. In fact the occasional app which doesn't give you the option is infuriating, especially if you have other stuff running.

Definitely. Problem is that I'll sit there for an hour clicking "remind me in 10 minutes", when it would probably be better just to restart when it suggests :)

I hate that option, because it then prompts you every ten minutes to restart.

Especially annoying with automatic updates that prompt a restart every ten minutes, when you're in the middle of some intricate piece of work that needs your full and unbroken concentration. And I'm sure I remember being plagued with "restart now?" boxes that not only appeared every ten minutes, but also came with a 30 second countdown that, if you hadn't decided, it took the liberty of deciding for you. Greatly annoying when I just came back from a coffee break to see that Windows hadn't even actually managed to restart at all, and was only in the process of waiting for me to save everything I'd left fucking open because I was in the middle of some fucking work which is why I'd asked it not to fucking restart every ten minutes for the past five fucking hours.

Just fuck off.

Sorry for the rant. Yes Toblix, you are right, it is a stupid option. It fucks me off so so much.

I didn't say choosing the option was stupid. I'm just saying that the choice is really whether or not to restart now. It's 100% certain that you'll restart the computer at some point.

edit: Also, I wasn't specifically talking about Windows Update or anything. Just any installer or software that asks you that, and for some reason the options are always the same.

I tend not to forget that I need to restart at some point... a ten minute nag seems like a really bad idea. I've never seen that, is it a Vista thing?

Vista has added Patronising Cattle-prod Technology, which requires you to click 8 other alerts before you'll allow it to ask you if you'd like to restart later. :(

Echoing Leo Laporte: Vista is the new ME. :tdown:

Hmm, ok. I've been using an XP Corporate SP2 install that doesn't have the nagging.

I've seen a little of Vista on a housemate's laptop. I'm pretty amused that the visible approach to security seems to be a prompt basically asking "Are you sure? Yes? Well okay then." rather than asking for a password.

Also, my housemate is pretty severely dyslexic. Changing a lot of icons into text with patronising sentences underneath is a terrible, terrible decision, even for non-dyslexic usability. Even though the guy has coped with it okay for the past seven months, Vista is driving him up the wall and he's longing to go back to XP.

Is it really to do with your OS? I only get these reminders on my (networked) college pc, and I always thought it was the network's fault.

It's 100% certain that you'll restart the computer at some point.

My computer gets restarted like once a month. Half the time it's because Windows XP downloads some update at 3 in the morning and restarts without my knowledge. :tdown: Always scheming while I'm asleep.

THANKS FOR DESTROYING THE ENVIRONMENT

But I need to keep those torrents active so that I can destroy the music industry too. Priorities, man.

Now that I'm actually paying for electricity, turning the computer off when I'm not using it seems far more sensible than it used to.

Did you know that your computer takes exactly the same amount of power in "hibernate" as it does when it's been "shut down"? (Yes, it still draws power after a shut down -- unless you unplug from the wall -- about 2.3 watts per hour, apparently). The unfortunate thing is that my computer seems to take exactly the same amount of time to come out of hibernation as it does to boot up fresh. Pointless! (Well, unless you just want to keep a bunch of apps and documents open, I suppose.)

Vista ist rad, btw :tup: