Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Devil May Cry 4

Anyone else tried the demo on Live yet? I thought it was superb.

How similar is this to the previous three entries in the series? Being a rapid scrolling beat 'em up fan of yore, I can't help feeling I've let a key franchise pass me by.

I went to Capcom's development offices in Osaka to see this last year. I asked the director (Hideaki Itsuno, I think - I'm rubbish with Japanese names) why it was so similar to the last three games. He told me this was intentional, and that, basically, DMC4 is exactly the same as previous games in the series, but in HD.

And, well, it is. Which is sort of disappointing. Everything about it reeks of OLD, like the fixed camera angles and the predictable 'hit-the-glowing-eye-it's-a-weak-spot bosses.

I don't like it. But I want to.

I like. I've only played DMC 1 but have always meant to catch up with the other two. This is probably the excuse I need.

I played through the first one on a friend's PS2 (back when you didn't have to pay me to pick up a PS2 controller). Didn't like it one bit as it was essentially Onimusha with a jump button.

What I will say is that the demo is perfect for anyone who enjoyed this series as it looks fantastic, the controls are a bit iffy but forgivable (NEVER assign lock-on to a bumper button, it makes no sense and is awkward), and the scope can finally be done justice on the current generation (I always felt that too much of the level design looked jagged and wobbly because of the lack of Anti aliasing).

I hope it sells well on the 360 as it will do on the PS3. It would be nice to see more of these types of games on Microsofts's console (I want Shiki Gami No Shiro 3 to make it to Europe at least an Onimusha would be nice too) as well as show Capcom that it isn't ill-advised to support it.

OK, so I bought this on Friday during my lunch hour -- and succeeded in picking up the Limited Edition tin for the same money as the regular version.

Managed to play about 45 minutes-worth that evening and so far I'm pleased. The demo makes the game seem deceptively more dynamic, in terms of combat, than it initially is. I'd estimate that the Nero in the demo has had about 3hrs-worth of skills advancement than, as your basic moves arsenal at the beginning of the retail game - across the same levels as shown in the demo no less - is exactly that: basic. But this certainly doesn't mean you're cut loose and expected to play the game with surgical precision in order to progress. It's still fun and you can select a couple of new skills at the end of each 'mission' within a short time.

For those who like being dropped in at the deep end early on, there are hidden tasks within the game world. These are like challenges mini-games, where you might have to clear out a section of the level in a strict time limit. This requires some considerable skill, even at the start of the game, and I wasn't able to do the first in the game despite several retries. I'm inclined to believe these become significantly more achievable when you have more moves at your disposal...

In terms of game design, there are a few obviously papered-over cracks; it suffers from Capcom's lazy design habits of locking certain 'portals' in earlier levels until the player has acquired a specific skill or weapon from later in the game. Meaning I expect a fair bit of backtracking in a few hours' time.

This has blunted my enthusiasm somewhat, as it's about 5 years out of date in terms of game design mechanics. Some reviewers have already leveled criticism at this arrangement and I'm presently inclined to support those views, based on the fair number of elements I've been forced to leave behind because I can't yet interact with them. Whereas Resident Evil 4 had smooth, steady progression through its game world, DMC4 flops back into Resi 2's bad habits of forcing backtracking to artificially prolong the experience.

It's not crippling, however, as the slight intrigue given in the "can't" messages makes me want to find the required weapon or skill. And I've just picked up something that will (hopefully) solve one of the puzzles I discovered early on.

Got a further or so hour's play in last night and it's starting to gather pace.

I did indeed have the necessary collectible to unlock not just one but several different puzzles in rapid succession. One of which also led me to collect a second quest item whilst introducing a third puzzle.

Above anything else, I can't stress enough how luscious the locations are in this game so far. Each area, whilst not extravagantly modeled, is richly textured and steeped in atmosphere. I'm actually now glad the game forces you to run around the castle a lot, as it means you get to see lots of interesting details which you may have missed before.

On a technical note, regarding exploration; the camera is awkward at times, but not a show-stopper. Having it flit from fixed perspective and then free look - or vice versa - as you move from one area to the next is crap. But I can appreciate the cinematics being attempted with this and so, to my mind, this is forgivable.

I'm now very much enthused about the game and have unlocked several more fighting techniques already. The fighting system is maturing nicely and the combo system is definitely rewarding. Especially as it encourages variety over repetition.

If any of you haven't tried the demo yet, PS3 or 360, I'd say definitely have a go.

I was a tad let down by DMC4. The third was a good return to form, but this was just kind of... meh. Had Capcom resisted putting Dante in it would have been a much more cohesive experience overall and additionally would have forced them to make more levels, ironically pumping in a little more variety. I've always viewed DMC as a bit of a 3D Castlevania, and the moment you're prancing around in jungles and big, bright open spaces, something has gone horribly wrong. The combat was solid as ever, but I really struggled to muster up the energy to see it through to its conclusion. Shame, it's probably a 5 or 6/10.

Doesn't plummet to the horrific depths of the second game thankfully, but I'm looking for DMC5 to do something totally new. Or I'll just get Bayonetta.

did your enthusiasm remain for this game?

I got horribly stuck a few days after posting the above and didn't finish it. I keep meaning to go back to it, though.

I'd say it's definitely worth grabbing if you can find it cheap nowadays, and don't get enraged by ridiculously pretentious Japanese anime pulp.