toblix

Braid

That's fucking hardcore. I'm impressed and/or amazed by people actually attempting this. I'm a bit suprised and disappointed the last achievement is tied to that rather than the stars, though.

I'm horribly stuck, but am loathe to ask for tips or search youtube for answers.

This makes me feel like I'm an idiot, as most people seem to have completed it.

Still, it keeps me coming back.

I love how -- again and again -- I'd look at a puzzle piece and conclude that there was no possible way to reach it, and then gradually go from that to seeing how obvious the solution is.

I wonder if Braid's time mechanics are just great because they're well designed, or also because they touch on some really fundamental, primeval perception of linear time? Could Braid be to our basal ganglias and right parietal corteces what optical illusions are to our Medulla Oblongatas?

I love how -- again and again -- I'd look at a puzzle piece and conclude that there was no possible way to reach it, and then gradually go from that to seeing how obvious the solution is.

I agree with this.

My interpretation:

He contrasts romantic love with atom bombs in terms of their power over us, and the assumptions made about them with and without hindsight. The opening screen is Tim in the midst of his own broken heart. He left his wife because he was in love with another woman, but she didn't want him and his pursuit of her made him like a stalker, a monster. Braid is about him coming to terms with it all.

(IMO)

-----

I managed without walkthroughs, except for one puzzle that broke me:

the one with the falling ladder where you have to exploit the ring, time reversal and time immunity all at once

Haha! That was the same puzzle that broke me, too. Every other one I figured out.

I can't seem to get all the hidden texts, though. Plus there's apparently some hidden stars and an alternative ending to find... Pretty cool.

I think your opinions on the ending seem pretty spot on, too. I'd like to find the key to understanding it all and see if it holds up.

Great game :tup:

Every time I try to buy points from gamepointsnow for this game, they're out of stock. It seems like there's some cosmic force that doesn't want me to play it unless I whore out my CC to MS.

Yup, especially after this review

Three months ago :getmecoat

Actually, I need to finish this. I got stuck with two puzzle pieces left that were frustrating the fuck out of me (and I did not feel compelled to cheat) and they've just been sitting there for a couple of weeks. I should get those.

Three months ago :getmecoat

Actually, I need to finish this. I got stuck with two puzzle pieces left that were frustrating the fuck out of me (and I did not feel compelled to cheat) and they've just been sitting there for a couple of weeks. I should get those.

There's one puzzle (involving ladders and moving platforms) that I feel it's totally acceptable to cheat on.

Yeah that one sent me slinking off to youtube after wilfully not doing that for the whole game... :getmecoat

It was the only one that did though. I watched some speedruns after completing it and also found there were much more eloquent solutions for most than I'd come up with.