Thrik

Lots o' stuff coming for those still playing TF2

I was getting pretty worried about the lack of new content for TF2, seeing as Valve is usually very generous with their post-release stuff. Looks like it was unwarranted though as apparently we can soon expect:

1. A capture-the-intel version of Well (within a few days)
  2. New maps: Goldrush (similar to TFC's hunted, except the civilian is now a mine cart that must be 'pushed' by being in its vicinity) and a remake of TFC's Badlands
  3. Two new unlockable weapons for every class, based on achievements (of which there'll be around 35 per class) -- presumably so newbies aren't overwhelmed by too much equipment

:woohoo: Great for those nutters of us who're still playing regularly like Thrik, Metallus, Huz, LucasTones, and bgbennyboy! Play with us and be happy.

I am so unbelievable excited about this. I want to see them jostle up the gameplay a little, it's been feeling a tiny bit stale recently. And I don't think it's just one new weapon: it's new "loadouts", which change just how the class plays in general.

Wow, I really can't imagine how they're going to come up with 2 new weapons for some of the classes.

A deffinate :tup: though.

:woohoo: Great for those nutters of us who're still playing regularly like Thrik, Metallus, Huz, LucasTones, and bgbennyboy! Play with us and be happy.

What server do you guys usually play at? I'm a regular TF2 player too! would love to scrim with some time!

I always play on Wireplay servers. The others tend to be on there often when I join too.

You could join the superb Mojo group if you want to keep tabs on us. It is the best Steam group. ;

I really like how Steam adds people in your groups to an un-opened tab in your friends menu, making it quite easy to play with people who you don't want to fully befriend. :tup:

If I can I'll play most nights, although it's been a bit less than usual this week as I've been busy. Will be plenty of weekend TF2 going on, though. ;

New maps and weapons are always nice. It is also good that you can gain something from the achievements you have collected.

On the other hand, I almost solely play the maps where the other team defends and the other team attacks and the captured points get locked (don't know what they are called), and as I rarely have time to play nowadays I'm not sure if I will be able to test the new weapons any time soon. Furthermore, if the unlockable weapons are more powerful than the old ones I might get even more alienated from the game. I also like to change the class quite often during the match, while upgrade, in a way, seems to encourage focusing on few classes only (unless you have time to collect every achievement).

Still eagerly waiting for the update, though.

Badlands... fuck. ;(

Almost enough to make me prise apart the jaws of the Castle Vania coffers -- and it's me burfday a fortnight today.

Hmm...

The new weapons are meant to be alternatives, not successors. Having better weapons as unlockables would completely go against their focus on making the game accessible to newbies as it'd be make it even easier for experienced players to arsehole them.

For example, the Medic is going to get a new healing gun that replaces the existing one. It will either have no ubercharge at all or a very slow charge, but in exchange it'll permanently buff people's health to 200% instead of the usual temporary 150%.

Also, the article says they'll be introducing the weapons gradually. You won't open the game one day and find dozens of new weapons.

For example, the Medic is going to get a new healing gun that replaces the existing one. It will either have no ubercharge at all or a very slow charge, but in exchange it'll permanently buff people's health to 200% instead of the usual temporary 150%.

zomgthatswikkid :eek:

Capture-the-intel Well is fuckin' live. :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

• Added new capture the flag map CTF_Well
  • Added Spanish map descriptions
  • Added new option to auto-save a scoreboard screenshot at the end of a map to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog
  • Added more particle optimizations for mid range and low end hardware
  • Updated CP_GravelPit to fix all known exploits and changed the scoring method to score per capture rather than per round
  • Updated “nextlevel” CVAR to trigger a changelevel at the end of the current round (not mini-round)
  • Fixed SourceTV demo recording problem
  • Fixed mp_stalemate_enable not preventing Sudden Death mode on some maps
  • Fixed a couple cases where player stats were not being recorded correctly
  • Fixed some log entries being truncated
  • Fixed crash caused by trying to import a custom player spray
  • Removed the “Reset Stats” button from the Player Stats screen

Yeah, agreed. I prefer it a lot to the original map because weirdly it seems to better disperse the combat over the map, even though there're now only two focus points (the two intel points) rather than five (the five capture points).

It seemed a bit big for CTF at first, but I soon realised that one team always ends up taking over the train station and filling it with teleporters/sentries/etc, effectively halving the size of the map to 2fort-like proportions. And then eventually the team will be pushed back out of the train station and the other team takes it. ;

But then some sneaky Engineer will go and stick a teleporter up in the enemy base attic, letting someone get some easy intel grabs while all the enemies sit around the train station. :tup:

Just seems a lot more dynamic and varied with CTF. I'd quite like to see Gravelpit as a CTF map too as it's the only other map apart from Well and 2fort that has a symmetrical design.

CTF maps are definitely at their best on the servers with modified spawn times though (either none or 10 seconds maximum). I only play on those. ;

I think you mean Granary? And I agree, although Well is a much more complex map and less of a straight-forward joust. The more I think about it, the more I think Well works as a CTF map for the same reason Granary doesn't.

Haha, I always have to think for a second between Dustbowl and Gravelpit. I mean, think about what both of those names describe: a dusty, dirty depression in the ground.

Damnit. Why are Valve so utterly shit with release dates. Not only do they charge us to preload games and make us wait before unlocking it but they can never get a patch out on fucking time :shifty:

Now, I wouldn't mind - but why announce a date/time and always miss it? It makes you wonder whether they are just sat there laughing and monitoring the fallout that inevitably occurs (and that's not a comforting thought). Other theories include collating statistics for use in their future bid for world domination, frantically trying to fix some last minute snags, or that they have simply forgotten all about us poor saps with nothing better to do than press refresh over, and over, and over......

:frusty:

The release of Badlands and various other tweaks in the form of a patch. It was supposed to be out 11pm PST but it didn't make it's way for about 4hrs later.

Ah well. If you've ever purchased a long awaited game from Steam (e.g. Bioshock) you should be aware of how shit they are, and not attempt to update when they say they will. Maybe stay in bed a little longer?

Oh. I haven't opened Steam in a couple of days due to general knackeredness. :~

When it comes to Valve I don't really mind their slipped releases. While it is irritating, I don't think any other developer since LucasArts has consistently churned out immensely high-quality stuff for so long. If they need these delays to add last bits of polish or to resolve last-minute bugs, I'm OK with that.

The release of Badlands and various other tweaks in the form of a patch. It was supposed to be out 11pm PST but it didn't make it's way for about 4hrs later.

Given they are on the west coast, if your times are correct, I can't say I'd be too bitter about someone staying in work until 3am so I could have some stuff for free for my entertainment product.

I'm not genuinely bitter (hell I'd let Valve use me as a toilet if they wished), it's supposed to be light hearted jabbing on account of my frustration :gaming: