ThunderPeel2001

Ron Gilbert is making Monkey Island 3!!!! or maybe just counting down to something

Possibly my arse.

No idea what it actually means, though. :fart:

Don't be surprised if there's a big "2!!!!" tomorrow, followed by a "1!!!!" the day after, and then a GrumpyGamer.com redesign, or a new flash toon, or something.

Well, oddly enough, if this actually sends the idea into people's minds and it gets reported as something people want to see on gaming news sites... It might plant a seed in someone's brain at LucasArts.

I say; bring on the hysteria!

Largest probability lies with the unveiling of Ron's hybrid adventure/RPG project he's been talking about for years. Finally! The last thing we saw were some veyr old screenshots, I believe, years and years ago. I don't even remember where I saw them, of even whether I saw them, or if it was some fever dream of prophecy.

I wouldn't really want anything seeded into anyone's brain at LucasArts. They have the power to ruin amazing properties with horrible sequels. I'm perfectly happy with all the new stuff coming out of Double Fine, Telltale, Autumn Moon, etc.

Largest probability lies with the unveiling of Ron's hybrid adventure/RPG project he's been talking about for years. Finally! The last thing we saw were some veyr old screenshots, I believe, years and years ago. I don't even remember where I saw them, of even whether I saw them, or if it was some fever dream of prophecy.

Do you know where to find the screenshots? This is the first time I've heard about this and it sounds interresting.

And correct me if I'm absolutely, utterly wrong, but wasn't there already a Monkey Island 3? The Curse of Monkey Island?

Yes there was, but it probably doesn't count because Ron Gilbert wasn't involved, or something like that.

Second number has been revealed! What next? It could be anything..

As reported on the site, my guess is that the Buy A Car For Ron Gilbert site finally gathered enough funds. After "1" will come a picture of Ron driving off into the horizon, never to be heard of in the games industry again.

Holy crap that's awesome! Diablo style gameplay with adventure atmosphere? My god, if the production values are good too this'll be insanely good.

What's with the enormous amounts of screaming oneliner-replying people on the Grumpy Gamer site, by the way? They just came out of nowhere, seemingly.

I am somewhat confused and want know more about this fusion of Monkey Island style adventure and Diablo style RPG. I also wonder which is going to have more emphasis in the game.

This image reminds me a bit of Castle Crashers (and O'Chunks from Super Paper Mario) and I kinda hope the graphic style will be similar to that. The character himself doesn't seem very interesting (at least compared the classic adventure game characters, which is unfair to begin with), but it's really way too early to say anything.

The name is excellent, though.

Knowing Hothead, and that it's to be an episodic game series, I expect the gameplay to be 'Diablo light', in the same way that Rainslick Precipice is going to be 'Final Fantasy light'. Many adventure elements can easily be implemented in the system. Just think about all the loot you can get from monsters; even Diablo had a lot of adventuring: combining items in the Horadric cube to forge new items, discovering new recipes, stacking chipped gems to get bigger ones... you can create lots of cool puzzles with such a system. And since atmosphere and dialogue can be very important, I look forward to it hugely.

I'm as big a Diablo fan as I am an adventure fan (or used to be, anyway), so this title will probably rock. I just hope they can get the gameplay supple enough. The huge thing about Diablo 2 was of course that it was buttery smooth and a bliss to play.

Yeah, the fact that there are a lot of (what might be considered) adventure elements in practically every RPG game makes me wonder what exactly is it that makes this an RPG-Adventure game (with Monkey Island style adventure elements, to be more specific). Is it just going to be Diablo style gameplay with more puzzles, a traditional adventure game storyline and mechanics with more fighting and level ups, something in between or something completely different?