Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Paprika

Holy maloney, this film is awesome. Here I was, thinking that all non-Miyazaki anime is crap, and then I watch this and it's fucking beautiful. The animation, music, everything. Just shut up and get it and watch it. Now. NOW!

Yufster, you told me you didn't like it because it was too confusing or something. But if Toblix says it is good then I shall watch it.

(and then get the soundtrack).
Yeah, I just got it. It's fucking awesome.

((((((

:hitler:))))))AWESOME!((((((:hitler:))))))

We were all far too pissed when we watched it, also the version we saw (the European premier) had white subtitles (without a border) often on a white background, so were near impossible to read.

Wow. I watched the trailer and it looks incredible.

Satoshi Kon is amazing. I got Millennium Actress a couple years back and it was really interresting. It was really a very human drama.

It's fairly shallow from a story point of view, but it's an amazing trip for your senses.

...except, um, smell. And touch. And taste.

Satoshi Kon is at this moment one of the most inspiring anime-directors in the scene. Millennium Actress was great, Paprika is at the very least very interesting and visually arresting, with a great soundtrack, and his other work I have unfortunately not seen yet (Something Blue Something, Tokyo Godfathers).

The one you're looking for is Perfect Blue, Rodi. Yeah, Paprika was spectacular. I had to really push the bosses at the theater to pick it up, but seeing it on the big screen back in September made the whole thing worth it. So cool.

Satoshi Kon is at this moment one of the most inspiring anime-directors in the scene. Millennium Actress was great, Paprika is at the very least very interesting and visually arresting, with a great soundtrack, and his other work I have unfortunately not seen yet (Something Blue Something, Tokyo Godfathers).

I saw Tokyo Godfathers too. Not quite Millennium Actress, but very good.

I wanted to see this but it's only up to buy, not to rent. My video store usually has anime to rent. (I was surpised when they got Ghost in the Shell 2 in.) I don't want to blind buy anime, even most good anime doesn't seem to be rewatchable and Spirited Away seems to be the only one.

Paprika is interesting. Those who liked it may be interested in Tekkon Kinkreet, which is animated by the same studio that made Mind Game - a film made from several layers of awesome.

Paprika is very enjoyable, though the story feels slightly contrived at points. Actually it's not so much the story as the pacing, which I felt was a bit uneven (the story is pushed forward all too much at a few points). I liked Perfect Blue more, but everyone should try and watch this too.

Paprika is interesting. Those who liked it may be interested in Tekkon Kinkreet, which is animated by the same studio that made Mind Game - a film made from several layers of awesome.

No one seems to care about those movies and I can't get anyone to watch them, but I think they are eye pleasure.

I want the DVD of "Noiseman Sound Insect" so badly. I've only found pirated versions online, and it's not for sale in the US.

I want the DVD of "Noiseman Sound Insect" so badly. I've only found pirated versions online, and it's not for sale in the US.

That would be awesome, but I don't think it Studio 4C releases are going to be seeing much exposure over here in the near future unless we have another Animatrix type ordeal. Seems to me that Tekkon Kinkreet, their first major US release didn't reap much in sales even though Sony seems to have put a lot of money into getting it out here.

Also you should check out Cat Soup which for some odd reason was released on DVD in the US.

Cat Soup is short and sweet. No text, just strange adventures with cats. Very hypnotizing. Those liking Paprika should look into it.

We were all far too pissed when we watched it, also the version we saw (the European premier) had white subtitles (without a border) often on a white background, so were near impossible to read.

I can confirm this. The white subs really did leave us clueless as to wtf was actually going on.

That one tune was amazing though. Good job we were at the back so that all our jumping around every time it came on didn't piss everyone off.

I don't understand why subs are ever anything other than white with a black outline. Surely that's not difficult?

Surely that's not difficult?

When the world finally slips into the sun, either through our own stupid efforts or those of natural astrological progression, there should be a thousand-foot monolith left in space with this written on it as a warning to others.

Terry Pratchett predicts that the last words spoken before the world ends will be "what happens if I press this?"

I always think the American yellow subtitles are extremely ugly. Subtitles should not become a part of the graphic appearance of the programme, so white with a black outline is the preferred choice.

Terry Pratchett predicts that the last words spoken before the world ends will be "what happens if I press this?"

really? Not "Oh bugger!"?

Man I totally missed the Tekkon Kinkreet release (I thought it was titled "Black and White" I must have misread it in some article)-- even my library has it! I'll have to watch it tomorrow.

Catsoup and Mindgame were great but I still haven't found Noiseman sound insect anywhere, I'll have to go hunting for it.

As for paprika :tdown:. Are you guys being serious about the soundtrack? Aside from the parade music I thought it was grating.

As for paprika :tdown:. Are you guys being serious about the soundtrack? Aside from the parade music I thought it was grating.

What the fuck? I thought the music was fucking enchanting.