Erkki

The Witcher

I accidentally found mention of some The Witcher mods somewhere. Anyone tried them? Too late for me now as I'm in the middle of the game, but if I ever want to replay it again I may try the Full Combat Replacement and Alchemy mods, which make the game even harder but more interesting. Currently I'm getting to the point where I have my inventory full of potions and other buffs.

Made it to the chapter where you get back to Vizima. Might even finish it before 2 comes out.

I'm pretty sure I'm playing on hard, but the game started getting kind of easy even before the previous chapter. Maybe my player skills have gotten better or I picked better character skills this time... And maybe I'll eat my words since this time I made more enemies than in earlier playthroughs.

I really don't like how the

Shani vs. Triss thing is handled. It's just one choice: sending Alvin here or there, and to whom you send him becomes your lover. I had forgotten that and sent her to Shani, but did my best to avoid her later -- no help, the game treated this as if I had wanted to be her lover and start a family with her.

If Witcher 2 will take this choice from my save game into account, I'll probably not want to use my save. Is it too much to hope they will allow me to remake Witcher 1 choices at game startup?

in a December interview one of the producers mentioned the possibility of a PS3 ME2 style save creator, but nobody's said anything since. I hope it's in there.

I bought this from GOG but I wonder if I'll ever play it. People keep telling me it's good but it just looks so unpleasant. I wish I could make the main character look a bit more like a person. Then there's the naked lady card collecting...

Then there's the naked lady card collecting...

You know what, I still don't get it why people consider this to be such a big thing to overshadow the rest of the game. Firstly, it's not really collecting. You don't get to keep those cards, you only see them once. Secondly, it's optional and you'll have to go out of your way to 'get' some of them. Admittedly, a few are on the main quest path though. Thirdly, only a couple of them are actually naked that I've seen. Ok, it's dumb, but jeez... it's a really small thing in the game and not some central concept that the rest of the game revolves around.

You know what, I still don't get it why people consider this to be such a big thing to overshadow the rest of the game. Firstly, it's not really collecting. You don't get to keep those cards, you only see them once. Secondly, it's optional and you'll have to go out of your way to 'get' some of them. Admittedly, a few are on the main quest path though. Thirdly, only a couple of them are actually naked that I've seen. Ok, it's dumb, but jeez... it's a really small thing in the game and not some central concept that the rest of the game revolves around.

Mostly agree, but actually if you go into the Characters page of your journal and click on the love hearts above those women you've "romanced" you can see the cards again.

Also, I don't know if this is an excuse, rationale or just doesn't matter to anyone, but Geralt the character from Andrzej Sapkowski's books is just generally getting into a lot of trysts. So it's totally in-character for him to be doing this in the game.

but actually if you go into the Characters page of your journal and click on the love hearts above those women you've "romanced" you can see the cards again.

Oh, I never noticed that. Ok, in that case I get why people call it collecting and I guess it makes it slightly more dumb.

Finished it just in time. Again I forgot the trick to the final fight and stupidly wasted time trying to

kill the Ifrits, while I should have just taken a couple of swings at Jacque.

[edit] Looks like Witcher 2 will unlock just a bit too late for me to start the download in the morning... :( I must pretend to sleep in, or have lunch at home.

Wait a minute... I just remembered I can play the additional stories included in Witcher 1.5 while I wait for the Steamfuckerunbusybecomer

So with all this talk of The Witcher 2 lately and my trying to avoid spending too much money, I decided that today was the day to install this game off my Steam list. I believe it will be the first thing I play once I finish my Valve replay, and was wondering beforehand if there's anything that people would consider essential (mods and such) to make the game a smoother and more fun experience. I've never played it before, but have had it on my games list since (I think) the 2009 Christmas Steam sale. I dig that this is going to be a janky euro-RPG in a lot of ways, but the less janky I can make the experience, the better. Any tips?

Same here. I just played through the first little bit.

I've decided to install a mod to let me walk rather than run anywhere. because it's annoying to keep bumping into people.

Other than that I'll probably leave it vanilla. Although I'm not loving the way swordplay works - I might see if there's mods to make it feel nicer. It might improve as I level up though.

You can really tell that this is an action RPG built on a point-and-click RPG engine (Neverwinter Nights). Still looking forward to playing through it though.

Leave it Vanilla. CDProjekt Red actually fixed the shit with their game, unlike a certain GSC Gameworld.

The 1.1 and 1.2 patches have actually fixed a lot of stuff already, and more are coming.

Other than that I'll probably leave it vanilla. Although I'm not loving the way swordplay works - I might see if there's mods to make it feel nicer. It might improve as I level up though.

I feel the same way about the combat, something about that timed mouse clicking annoyed the hell out of me. But the only combat mod I found seems to make it more difficult.