Wrestlevania

"There is no uncanny valley any more," declares French developer

I've never rated Cage and Quantic Dream. I remember reviewing Omikron on the PC years ago, absolutely slating it and then receiving hate mail from the developers. If you don't want people to talk ill of your games don't make shit! Whilst the narrative might be pushing the boundaries of video gamers the abundance of QTEs show that the gameplay is still stuck in the past, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Whilst the narrative might be pushing the boundaries of video gamers the abundance of QTEs show that the gameplay is still stuck in the past, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I'm sure this is what you meant but, and I think this is worth explicitly stating, just because it's all that matters to you doesn't mean mean that it is the same for everyone.

I'm also not sure it's fair to say that the gameplay is stuck in the past. From the little we've seen the gameplay has clearly been tweaked since Farenheit. It is evolving much in the same way that the RTS or FPS genres have evolved over time even though they retain many of the core ideas. If you don't happen to like this sort of thing that's cool, nobody likes everything, but I think you're being unduly harsh.

So if there's no game over, does that mean that you can just start the game, put down the controller, and watch the main characters save the day despite losing every fight and falling down every hatch? That'd be awesome.

The impression I got there is the game would just draw to a very quick finish, as all your major characters would be dead/unconscious and it'd move on to whatever the next character does.

This is why I'm unsure about whether it'll move on as much as I'm hoping from Fahrenheit. It's like, is that scene where you wake up in the junkyard car actually avoidable, or is it inevitable no matter how long you fight the big black guy for? Can you take that scene in a completely different direction or is it ultimately a case of the ends of each scene are fixed and it's only the means you can manipulate?

I really don't know. My own gut is telling me it will be this limited, but then the earlier demo with that woman did seem to show the scene possibly ending in completely different ways (ie: with her being caught by the killer, or escaping unnoticed). But then would that change further scenes with her and other characters? It could get really complex and awesome.

Buh, have to wait and see. But I mean as a Metal Gear Solid fan, a game heavily reliant on QTE stuff doesn't actually turn me off that much. :D I enjoyed Fahrenheit despite its ridiculousness.

I'm sure this is what you meant but, and I think this is worth explicitly stating, just because it's all that matters to you doesn't mean mean that it is the same for everyone.

Oh god, the opinion police are out! Thanks for clarifying that. I forgot there are such things as wrong opinions...mm-hm.

I guess I was just under the asumption that gamers (what with being one myself) would want decent gameplay, without it you're not going to see any of the incredible narrative. You might as well just watch a film.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good story in a game, but I also want it delivered in a way that isn't going to frustrate and bore me and QTEs always frustrate and bore me.

Gametrailer TV has an exclusive, I watched it, it's definitely not worth your time.

Basically to the question "is there actual gameplay" one of the guys working on the game answers "yes" and that's it...

Then later in the vidéo, the presenter goes "and when you uncover the skull it triggers the quick-time event" and the other guys answers "yeah, the action sequence"

To which we may comment "it's not because you don't call it a quick time event that it isn't one...."

The gameplay is probably going to suck but I'm very likely still going to play this. Fahrenheit wasn't that good, but it still did some interesting things and was worth playing. Omikron was actually pretty good at times, even with it's hundreds of flaws.

Even though Quantic Dream maybe full of crap about some things, they are experimenting and finding new ways to tell stories in games. Not that many developers are doing that.

The fixation on QTE's is detrimental though.

This is why I'm unsure about whether it'll move on as much as I'm hoping from Fahrenheit. It's like, is that scene where you wake up in the junkyard car actually avoidable, or is it inevitable no matter how long you fight the big black guy for? Can you take that scene in a completely different direction or is it ultimately a case of the ends of each scene are fixed and it's only the means you can manipulate?

I saw a preview somewhere that said that if you get the entire QTE 100% right, you end up hauling the guy into the station and you prevent him from being squashed by that crane tread, presumably unlocking some important piece of information about the crime that you'd otherwise miss. If they really managed to make the game as intricately branched as they're making it out to be, then I think there's a chance that the QTEs might actually be kind of interesting. I agree that QTEs in the past have been complete crap, since they've generally just been situations where the game is giving you something to do while you watch a prerendered cutscene. But I'm not sure that's the case here.

At the very least, I'm so happy that someone is actually trying to apply the interactivity of the medium towards its storytelling that's I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Even if it is barely more than watching a movie, if that movie is significantly different each time I play, then I don't really care that much if there's no gameplay.