Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Opening credits

I sat down and watched episodes 3, 4 and 5 of season 1 of The Wire last night and, upon reflection this morning, it does seem kind of slow to get going. But then it's about building up the complexity of the different characters' relationships. And they're genuinely interesting and non-typical portrayals, which makes a tangible difference.

All the build-up is starting to get pretty nail-biting already, too. I can't wait to watch some more tonight!

I sat down and watched episodes 3, 4 and 5 of season 1 of The Wire last night and, upon reflection this morning, it does seem kind of slow to get going. But then it's about building up the complexity of the different characters' relationships. And they're genuinely interesting and non-typical portrayals, which makes a tangible difference.

All the build-up is starting to get pretty nail-biting already, too. I can't wait to watch some more tonight!

The thing about getting into the Wire is that (most) fans of the Wire didn't watch those first three (or however many) episodes and immediately start proclaiming it the best show ever. We didn't see something you didn't. I started watching season 1 and was like "this is ok... I guess." The experience you have watching the first couple episodes is not the same experience you'll have watching all the others. And it's not that they're bad episodes. I've watched them since and they're great. The pacing is really so unusual for TV -- it's not that you suddenly get to an episode which you love, it's that you suddenly get to an episode where plot points click and are paid off, even in very small ways, which makes you realise how good it always was and how much you want to see it continue.

That said, even by Wire standards, season one's pacing is rather leisurely. Once the show starts expanding in scope it does get more engrossing episode-by-episode.

To be clear: I started last night on episode 3 as I've watched the first two a couple of times in the past, in an effort to get into the series, but then failed to make a habit of it.

For me, there was enough style and intrigue in the first two to want to stick with it. It's just that watching it on my laptop is uncomfortable, anti-social and inconvenient. Being able to watch it on my TV via the 360 is a real boon and much more likely to keep me watching now. I'm just worried that I won't be able to switch off at a sensible hour now!

I'm not one for absolutes when it comes to favourites of anything. Saying whether something is in the top ten or not is as far as I'm willing to go. And even then, there's more than likely quite a bit more than ten spots on this top ten list. Despite this, I'm pretty comfortable with saying that The Wire is the best damn show I've ever seen.

But on topic, Carnivàle had a great intro:

Also, Six Feet Under:

To be clear: I started last night on episode 3 as I've watched the first two a couple of times in the past, in an effort to get into the series, but then failed to make a habit of it.

For me, there was enough style and intrigue in the first two to want to stick with it. It's just that watching it on my laptop is uncomfortable, anti-social and inconvenient. Being able to watch it on my TV via the 360 is a real boon and much more likely to keep me watching now. I'm just worried that I won't be able to switch off at a sensible hour now!

Yes, sorry, I wasn't trying to lecture at you specifically, it was more a general point I saw an opportunity to blurt out :fart:

Yes, sorry, I wasn't trying to lecture at you specifically, it was more a general point I saw an opportunity to blurt out :fart:

's all good, Holmes...

holmes.jpg

I ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADED the first episode of Brass Eye and it was absolutely brilliant. I just kept laughing.