Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Videogaiden 3

I actually really like the way they convey what they like about a game or for that matter don't like about a game and can generally make me understand that without breaking everything down to a points system or easily digestible bites.

The reviews for Mario Galaxy, Need for Speed and The Club were all standout.

Tried to introduce this to some Montrealers and it was awesome to see how bewildered they were by it. One said he liked it despite not having a clue why.

The recent batch of episodes I had to catch up with because of my holiday were excellent :tup: I especially liked Celebrity (14) because its Lost Odyssey review had basically come to the same conclusions I had in my review for GMR a few weeks ago.

Episode 15: Conflict features some heavyhanded gay scenes :tup: Fun game: am I talking about the show's storyline or the Army of Two review?

The newest Videogaiden has a very moving review of Lost. Truly a great piece of gaming journalism. Props to Rab!

Just saw this sunday's award ceremony and it was great. A real fine piece of storytelling there, inside the award format, subtly using all the stuff that's been building up over the series.

Now that season 3 is almost over, it's a good opportunity to see how it was. I can't really tell for sure if it was me not 'getting' it at first, or them struggling with what they were trying to accomplish, but the first four or five episodes felt strange and not very qualitative. Maybe I was pining too much for the slickness of the second season, or the series simply needed time to explain its themed episodes. Whatever it was, it really grew into a great season, with the show showing more selfconfidence every week and some really great stuff coming forth from it, culminating in spectacular little reviews like the Lost one, and the last two television specials (the first one was a bit too weird and geared at the UK in-crowd). The little stories got built up too, with Damien Murray's presence becoming ever more hilarious, Gerry going psychopath and Zack Eastwood remaining oddly out of sync with reality.

It's pretty obvious that the BBC is happy with VideoGaiden, considering its willingness to experiment with the show. I don't know if they've found the perfect fit now with the online episodes. It'd be nice to hear how it did. But whatever happens, season 4 will undoubtedly be nothing like the earlier seasons. So I look forward to the next year! But first we still have the season finale to go, of course!