Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Videogaiden 3

Well, it's started. The first episode is short and sweet. They've definitely taken up a new style, seemingly emulating old 80s gameshows? I sort of miss the extremely polished setting and theatrical taste of the last season, but I guess change is good. Expect: a glowing review of Galaxy, a butchering review of Jade Raymond Presents Jade Raymond's Assassin's Creed A Video game By Jade Raymond.

This is also a great novelty: http://www.bbc.co.uk/videogaiden/calendar/

It isn't quite like that. Consolevania is still their 'main brand'. They were really revving up for CV3 when they suddenly got the deal to make a gigantic Videogaiden series, so they had to halt CV.

Second episode is up, with some quite interesting reviews. I loved the bit where they show us what happened to the folks presenting the second season of Videogaiden; all washed up and drunken, haha. Now that's closure.

Ah yes, thanks.

I must say, that advent calendar remains highly amusing, even after weeks. The actual game is of course tedious, but the picture... quite good. This is turning out to be a rather gayish Christmas, if you also regard the Santasm movie.

Excellent :tup:

Episode 4 and the TV Christmas special are out. It's pretty clear what we can expect for the entire run of the series now. The small episodes are nice, though they never reach season 2 levels of awesomeness. It's become a bit more like Consolevania, but without the extremes, it seems. Nevertheless, quite fun of course.

The Christmas special I didn't really get. There were some fun ideas, but stretched out over half an hour, they became a bit dull. I'm sure it's a lot more fun of course if you yourself have fond memories of Dominic Diamond and actually know all the guests that arrive.

Just caught up on Episode 4 and the Christmas special. Enjoyed both of them, especially the appearance of Dominic Diamond. :tup:

Frank Sidebottom was a nasty surprise though -- that fucking freak has terrified me from a very young age. :(

"Fifth een's oot," as they say in the vernacular. This episode, Fat Rab and Fat Ryan heartily eviscerate:

• Kane & Lynch (and the Video game press, too)
  • Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
  • Dr Who!

Plus some other treats. Me like! :tup:

Pop Quiz: Which videoGaiden host did I headshot at the weekend, whilst playing Call of Duty 4?

Wow, did you headshot fat Rab or fat Ryan? :tup:

I liked Graphics. Though I think that the internet broadcasting method is actually hurting the show for me, because it just doesn't seem as slick and well-produced as the downloadable high quality season two episodes. For me personally, it's a poor trade-off, but they'll probably reach a larger audience this way.

I love the excruciating 3D soap unravelling every week, complete with extra crappy sound quality.

The new episode is brilliant. I think it's the best one yet. It's called 'Lust' and it's mostly about kids games...

For those interested, Rab and Ryan will be on BBC Radio Scotland from 9:30am GMT today (Weds 30th). They'll be set a series of physical challenges in an attempt to prove gamers aren't a sedentary and unfit lot.

You'll need RealPlayer, but it's the BBC's spam- and ad-free version. So not entirely evil -- but make sure you control its file associations during setup.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were to be an mp3 version for download later on on the site. I'll wait for that one ;)

Critique, the latest episode, had a fun idea which they really push to a satisfying apotheosis at the end. I had been hoping they'd go for it, and they did, and it was great.

Unsurprisingly, their radio appearance(?) was a bit of an anti-climax.

You'll be able to listen to it via BBC iPlayer I believe at some point shortly, but it'll likely be the whole show and not an R&R excerpt. And you'll need to have a UK-based IP to use iPlayer of course... :shifty:

Continuity, number nine, another fun episode.

Is.

I'm secretly hoping there'll be a Videogaiden DVD someday with all the seasons in one place in good quality.

Episode 10, Censorship, is out, with one of Rab's best critical one-liners in ages:

"Richard Garriot's blown it -- he's stuck his name on a donkey."

I'd like to nominate that for QotM, please and thank you.

That 3D soap is excruciatingly good and excruciating. I'm literally squirming in my chair to get away from it every time =D

Am I the only one who doesn't like these shows?

It's exactly what I don't want from a gaming show - two idiots performing sub-Why Don't You? sketches and favouring bum jokes over copy.

At least Bits conveyed some information in between the tits.