Sign in to follow this  
BigJKO

Deus Ex 3!

That's quite some big news, despite the perhaps lackluster sequel (never played it.)

Remains to be seen, though, how well a new studio can tackle such a hugely anticipated sequel. But after seeing how Fallout 3 seems to pretty much be in faithful hands I'm a whole lot more positive.

Ooh, and teaser.

Yes! I saw this and I am absolutely ecstatic. I think they may pull it off, as long as they keep the RPG in favor of a more shooter-oriented approach. (By the way, did anyone notice the blatant similarities between the teaser and the Crysis trailer with the super-close-up of the combat suit?) I'll bet you it was Bioshock's success that inspired this sequel.

I played the demo for Invisible War and, while it couldn't live up to the first game, I didn't think it was bad. It just didn't live up to it's name.

Yeah I blogged about this earlier today. Not that I'm just trying to promote my blog or anything... although secretly I am.

I am cautiously optimistic about this. At this stage there's not really anything to react to. Invisible War doesn't have me concerned for this (unless it's a direct sequel.) since it's a completely different studio. I think the Fallout 3 analogy is a good one.

I'll bet you it was Bioshock's success that inspired this sequel.

Eidos Montreal mentioned that this was a project they'd like to do months ago... I wouldn't be surprised if BioShock helped greenlight it though.

Fallout 3 is shaping up to be a disappointment for existing Fallout fans, particularly those who were hoping for a worthy successor (and not an Oblivion spin-off). It's not a good analogy at all.

...and yeah there's not much to go on here. They could make a Deus Ex type game under any moniker so the fact they are leeching from an IP that already has an existing fanbase is more of a turn-off than a turn-on.

Colour me a sceptic.

Deus Ex 2 disappointed me so much I don't need a good reason to expect the third one to suck.

I'll bet you it was Bioshock's success that inspired this sequel.
Deus Ex 3 was actually confirmed... probably half a year ago, when the new Eidos studio was announced. Back then it was widely speculated to be part of a "loss leader" strategy. I.e. they don't expect Deus Ex 3 to be enormously succesful financially, but it will attract talent and help get the new studio off the ground.

Unless I'm mistaken (never played Invisible Wah) the teaser seems to be alluding heavily to the "augments not welcome" atmosphere of the original game, along with ripping the original's memorable music.

Where the designers to completely ignore Invisible Wah - which was never cited directly as Deus Ex 2 anyway - why must they acknowledge it by titling the new game #3 in a series? This only shackles them to the plot of Invisible Wah which, by several accounts, was shit compared to the original.

I don't know yet. I didn't play Deus Ex when it was released, but only recently. I think it didn't age very well, because when I played it it didn't appeared to be that great. And it wasn't really the "low" graphic quality. And I still haven't played Invisible War, I once tried it but it didn't work on my video card back then. Maybe I should remove the shrink wrap (after I finished system shock 2 and wheel of time).

I've only played Deus Ex, not Invisible War.

I'm feeling distinctly "meh" about this: it's all hype and no beef. Given that publishers own most IP, there's pretty much nothing in a name anymore when it comes to games.

I don't know yet. I didn't play Deus Ex when it was released, but only recently. I think it didn't age very well, because when I played it it didn't appeared to be that great. And it wasn't really the "low" graphic quality. And I still haven't played Invisible War, I once tried it but it didn't work on my video card back then. Maybe I should remove the shrink wrap (after I finished system shock 2 and wheel of time).
When I first played Deus Ex I thought it was pretty lame. Then some months later I'm talking to friends online who think it's the shit and they eventually convince me to give it another go - I now consider Deus Ex one of the best games ever. You really need to get into it (and beyond the first few missions) after which its charm should become more apparent and appreciable.

Saying that, I wasn't playing it so many years after release so I've no idea how it will feel as a virgin experience today.

Fallout 3 is shaping up to be a disappointment for existing Fallout fans, particularly those who were hoping for a worthy successor (and not an Oblivion spin-off). It's not a good analogy at all.

Everything I've read about Fallout 3 seems to indicate they're treating it pretty faithfully..

Everything I've read about Fallout 3 seems to indicate they're treating it pretty faithfully..

And if the team at Bethesda are indeed referring to additional source material of such calibre as Cormac McCarthy's The Road, it should be pretty fucking harrowing too. I just finished reading it last night and to say it's "bleak" would be a gross understatement. ;(

Incredible fuel for helping to mature the Fallout setting, however. :tup:

It may well end up being a good game, but indications are that it doesn't honour the Fallout franchise beyond the superficial. Check the previews, read between the lines, and take into account how Oblivion would have been a completely different game had it bore any resemblence to the image its hype built prior to release. Bethesda have done it before - and they can do it again.

I'm not a fuddy-duddy but all the things that made the Fallout franchise great are all the things Bethesda do poorly - and it doesn't bode well when it's being built upon the Oblivion framework.

It's a poor analogy as the backlash clearly demonstrates.

Most of the criticism by fallout fans has been about the move from top-down to first person. They're making a lot of noise about it, but put that rather silly foible out of the way and the actual substance of the game is sounding good.

To me anyway.

It may well end up being a good game, but indications are that it doesn't honour the Fallout franchise beyond the superficial. Check the previews, read between the lines, and take into account how Oblivion would have been a completely different game had it bore any resemblence to the image its hype built prior to release.

No.

I'm deliberately on a media blackout for this one, as I can't stand either the spoilers or the guaranteed bile.

Edit: I've just noticed we don't apparently have a Fallout 3 thread yet...

That's one criticism yes. For me personally the most pressing matter regards the dialogue and freedom of choice in the game. Now as much as I thought Oblivion was an enjoyable romp it fails spectacularly on both those fronts and to think that Fallout 3 will be employing similar mechanics makes my heart sink.

The original point of the analogy, I thought, was to show it was in 'good hands', that the people taking it on would be showing a good deal of respect to the franchise and the communities that continue to foster most of the interest. Something Bethesda can hardly be commended on.

I have no doubt they will make a 'good game', but it won't be FALLOUT 3

When I first played Deus Ex I thought it was pretty lame. Then some months later I'm talking to friends online who think it's the shit and they eventually convince me to give it another go - I now consider Deus Ex one of the best games ever. You really need to get into it (and beyond the first few missions) after which its charm should become more apparent and appreciable.

Saying that, I wasn't playing it so many years after release so I've no idea how it will feel as a virgin experience today.

I did finish it, completely. I didn't think it was great because the world felt dead most of the time. And the fact that you had to go back to the same place over and over again. Everything felt forced. And the ending simply sucked (all three of them).

I'm not saying it was a bad game, but it does feel overrated (to me).

That's one criticism yes. For me personally the most pressing matter regards the dialogue and freedom of choice in the game. Now as much as I thought Oblivion was an enjoyable romp it fails spectacularly on both those fronts and to think that Fallout 3 will be employing similar mechanics makes my heart sink.

That's assuming a whole lot. I absolutely agree with you about Oblivion, but Elder Scrolls != Fallout, and from what I've read Bethesda are quite aware of that as well. As far as I can tell, and you could question my knowledge of this quite considerably.. Bethesda aren't shoe-horning Fallout 3 into their model of an RPG.

But you are absolutely correct that considering Bethesda's track record there's no reason to trust the Fallout license in their hands. But, and this was what I said in the first place, despite having my doubts at first I'm feeling a whole lot more optimistic now after reading interviews/previews that make it seem like they're trying their best to stay faithful to the series.

I guess it's obvious it's time for a Fallout 3 thread, because I have a feeling Cigol's going to bombard me with quotes that state the exact opposite of what I remember from the interviews off the top of my head. ;)

Deus Ex 3 was actually confirmed... probably half a year ago, when the new Eidos studio was announced. Back then it was widely speculated to be part of a "loss leader" strategy. I.e. they don't expect Deus Ex 3 to be enormously succesful financially, but it will attract talent and help get the new studio off the ground.

That's interesting as a strategy. It had certainly struck me that they were publicising it this loudly, this early, as part of a recruitment thing for the studio. If they weren't in Montreal, they'd stand a pretty good chance of getting an app from me within the next 6 months.

The original point of the analogy, I thought, was to show it was in 'good hands', that the people taking it on would be showing a good deal of respect to the franchise and the communities that continue to foster most of the interest. Something Bethesda can hardly be commended on.

I would love to know how Bethesda has apparently disrespected the franchise and "the communities that continue to foster most of the interest". Who, NMA? These guys? The most insane gaming fans on the internet?

Sorry but the hardcore Fallout fans act so ridiculously entitled and hostile I can't take any of their criticism seriously, because their criticism is basically "we know best because we're true Fallout fans and that's not what we would have done!"

Yeah, I'm totally with Duncan on this one. The criticism is totally worthless. Be quiet and wait for release is the only credible stance; none of this "I speculate it will be like this, and I don't like what my imagination comes up with". It's like gaming self-harm in its extremity, proactively seeking out reasons to be miserable.

@F3 - My only concern is that Bethesda have said that they are eschewing the humour from the second one as they don't think it fits the world.

I really liked the dark comedy moments in the game as well as the random moments where the nod at the player by acknowledging that it is indeed, just a game.

Apart from that it could be very promising I especially like the plan to keep the game turnbased on most of the combat sections.

Deus Ex 3 could be awesome but it will all depend on whether they get the right people. Eidos really knows how fuck up development.

I guess it's obvious it's time for a Fallout 3 thread, because I have a feeling Cigol's going to bombard me with quotes that state the exact opposite of what I remember from the interviews off the top of my head. ;)

this-isnt-the-thread.jpg

This is.

DEU SEX 3 teaser trailer

I tried to play Deus Ex a few months back for the first time and I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure things get better later on but it just felt dated. And I don't mean the graphics, I can live with that. It's the interface that I couldn't stand. It's amazing how much we've progressed on interface/UI design in games in just the last ten years.

DEU SEX 3 teaser trailer

I tried to play Deus Ex a few months back for the first time and I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure things get better later on but it just felt dated. And I don't mean the graphics, I can live with that. It's the interface that I couldn't stand. It's amazing how much we've progressed on interface/UI design in games in just the last ten years.

Really? I feel the most awful game interfaces I've experienced have been the result of cross-platform games of later date.