Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Wheel of Time

I recently started reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (just finished book two) and since I remember hearing good things about the game, I thought I'd give it a try.

I must say I'm quite impressed so far (right now I'm in Shadar Logoth)! I like the level design a lot, and it looks good enough that occasionally it doesn't feel as dated as it is.

The gameplay could be better but most of the time it's quite good -- close combat feels kind of awkward because it's hard to actually hit an enemy with some of the projectiles when they are close to you.

Has anyone else played this? What do you think?

PS. Does it contain a lot of spoilers for the books? Perhaps I should put off playing this lest I spoil them? I did already notice a few things that could be spoilers, but I'm not sure...

oh right... I still need to play that game. Never got around to that (has been on my list since 2000ish)

yargh. It doesn't really contain any spoilers as it is set sort of 1000 years before the events in the books. Great game - I enjoyed it immensely. Also the multiplayer was immensely fun - as it becomes very very tactical with all the crazy "weapons" - freezing someone and blowing them up afterwards - all time favourite. Also the motherfucker weapon that kills you instantly (but its hard to hit someone - is effing great).

One of the few third person shooters I actually finished - which says a lot I think (since I have started many)...:tup:

One of the few third person shooters I actually finished - which says a lot I think (since I have started many)...:tup:

It's actually first person, though :)

It's actually first person, though :)

which is exactly what I meant. Or that I am a third person playing a game that pretends to be first person of some other guy/girl which is the second person. Thus third person. Indeed

I've always been slightly mistrustful of the Wheel of Time novels, even though I've never read them. But I was in a book store the other day and there they were - up to book 20 or whatever. That's just not right.

which is exactly what I meant. Or that I am a third person playing a game that pretends to be first person of some other guy/girl which is the second person. Thus third person. Indeed

what

grrrr.... can't get it to work, it crashes at random locations :(

[edit]

Figured it out, downloaded the wrong no-cd patch. Of course if the damn program didn't insist that my external harddrive is the CD-rom drive that should contain the play disk it wouldn't be a problem in the first case. For some reason most safedisk games from that era have a problem with my current setup.

If I remember correctly, in Unreal engine games, you could edit some .ini file to change the CD drive letter. I may be wrong though.

It's not the unrealengine that is complaining, it's safedisc. The game correctly identifies the CD rom drive.

Anyway, so far the game is interesting. Although the level design isn't that great (currently in the sewers of the castle). If I compare it to Unreal1 they could have done a much better job in certain places (the outside canyon stuff to the castle is quite terrible). And the weapons are a bit odd, specially the air thingy, I'm having a hard time to hit people with that. Those smoke enemies are damn annoying.

Anyway, I think Rune is much better than WoT (so far).