toblix

Crock Band

Apologies! The date on the Wired article was 2nd July, so I had a quick look at the posts around that time and couldn't see it. Had no idea it was so old :):getmecoat

Anyone know why I can't see my character's score via the Leaderboard? :( I know my character's name wasn't really going to be online-worthy, but I changed it last night and there's still no online scoring :(

Anyone know why I can't see my character's score via the Leaderboard? :( I know my character's name wasn't really going to be online-worthy, but I changed it last night and there's still no online scoring :(

It takes a while to update, so that might be the problem. Is it working now?

Did everyone see the GI scans for RB2?:

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11340

Check out the L.E. Ion drumset! Mmmmm. I really might have to buy that thing, if it's responsive enough and doesn't cost a TON. Hoping it'll be $250 or less. I actually don't really even care about the cymbals, since they're optional anyway. I just want a solid base kit.

Two nights ago I was a pixel away from 5-starring Perfect Drug! I definitely would have had it if not for my shitty pads, because even on the easy part it dropped a note and broke my multiplier. <_<

EDIT: Well that didn't take long. The Ion set costs $299. :\ I still hope you'll be able to buy the set sans-cymbals for less.

drumrocker2.jpg

More Info

Miffy, have you downloaded "Snow (hey oh)"? Unless you really hate the song, you have to play it! Expert guitar is an exercise in endurance. I took turns with my cousin, and we both beat it after a couple tries, but man, we were in the red a lot.

Ooh! It was a great idea allowing third parties to create peripherals for Rock Band. They look sweet! Are they Rock Band 1 compatible, though?

Edit: Yes, it is compatible!

The Goodwood drumset costs near $300 inc. shipping to Europe, so if the Ion set is cheaper shipping, it might worth the extra cost.

I'm totally getting that drum kit. Next payday, my preorder will go up. Crap that thing is awesome. I hope I'll be able to buy the new guitar separately as well though. That thing looks really snazzy and my current strat has bitten the dust.

Haven't downloaded Snow. It's that good? May do it tonight.

EDIT: Oh my god you bastard. Failed at 60% on my first try. Haven't done a second yet. This is definitely one I'll need to work at repairing the strat before I have another go. Trying this with the GHIII controller was murder.

Haven't downloaded Snow. It's that good? May do it tonight.

EDIT: Oh my god you bastard. Failed at 60% on my first try. Haven't done a second yet. This is definitely one I'll need to work at repairing the strat before I have another go. Trying this with the GHIII controller was murder.

*D:D Well you got farther than I did on my first try.

Thinking about that ION kit some more -- it uses 1/4" jacks, so you can buy a drum "brain" and use it as an electronic kit (brains are expensive, though). But that also means if I could just BUY THAT ION BRAIN I could plug in my Yamaha pads for RB! Arrrghhhh. It's so damn tempting to try and do the whole "solder a MIDI cable to the RB controller" thing so I can use my real kit, but if I fuck it up, I lose my RB drums AND a MIDI cable! Plus, it's good to have the RB drums for parties at other people's houses.

RB2 Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36036.html

WHOO! It's been a long time since last I made an attempt at career mode, mostly playing band quick play with friends for the past couple of months, but tonight I figured I may have improved enough to go back in and have a shot at the song which had had me so stymied those months ago. This song was The Hand That Feeds. Kicked its ass. Then the next two tiers as well. Would have gone further too, but my 360 chose the middle of When You Were Young to have a tantrum and crash. I booted it up again to make sure it had only frozen, not RRoD'd on me, and then shut it down figuring it was a sign to give the system a break lest I have to send it back to Redmond.

Still, Woo! Feeling much more accomplished as a drummer. More career tomorrow, methinks...

And no, I haven't tried Snow again yet. Tonight was all about the skins. Might give it another shot in a day or two.

ROCK BAND 2 SONGLIST ANNOUNCED:

1. AC/DC "Let There Be Rock"

2. AFI "Girl's Gone Grey"

3. Alanis Morissette "You Oughta Know"

4. Alice in Chains "Man in the Box"

5. Allman Brothers "Ramblin' Man"

6. Avenged Sevenfold "Almost Easy"

7. Bad Company "Shooting Star"

8. Beastie Boys "So Whatcha Want"

9. Beck "E-Pro"

10. Bikini Kill "Rebel Girl"

11. Billy Idol "White Wedding Pt. I"

12. Blondie " One Way or Another"

13. Bob Dylan "Tangled Up in Blue"

14. Bon Jovi "Livin' on a Prayer"

15. Cheap Trick "Hello There"

16. Devo "Uncontrollable Urge"

17. Dinosaur Jr. "Feel the Pain"

18. Disturbed "Down with the Sickness"

19. Dream Theater "Panic Attack"

20. Duran Duran "Hungry Like the Wolf"

21. Elvis Costello "Pump It Up"

22. Fleetwood Mac "Go Your Own Way"

23. Foo Fighters "Everlong"

24. Guns N' Roses "Shackler's Revenge"

25. Interpol "PDA"

26. Jane's Addiction "Mountain Song"

27. Jethro Tull "Aqualung"

28. Jimmy Eat World "The Middle"

29. Joan Jett "Bad Reputation"

30. Journey "Anyway You Want It"

31. Judas Priest "Painkiller"

32. Kansas "Carry On Wayward Son"

33. L7 "Pretend We're Dead"

34. Lacuna Coil "Our Truth"

35. Linkin Park "One Step Closer"

36. Lit "My Own Worst Enemy"

37. Lush "De-Luxe"

38. Mastodon "Colony of Birchmen"

39. Megadeth "Peace Sells"

40. Metallica " Battery"

41. Mighty Mighty Bosstones "Where'd You Go"

42. Modest Mouse "Float On"

43. Motorhead "Ace of Spades"

44. Nirvana "Drain You"

45. Norman Greenbaum "Spirit in the Sky"

46. Panic at the Disco "Nine in the Afternoon"

47. Paramore "That's What You Get"

48. Pearl Jam "Alive"

49. Presidents of the USA "Lump"

50. Rage Against the Machine "Testify"

51. Ratt "Round & Round"

52. Red Hot Chili Peppers "Give it Away"

53. Rise Against "Give it All"

54. Rush "The Trees"

55. Silversun Pickups "Lazy Eye"

56. Smashing Pumpkins "Today"

57. Social Distortion "I Was Wrong"

58. Sonic Youth "Teenage Riot"

59. Soundgarden "Spoonman"

60. Squeeze "Cool for Cats"

61. Steely Dan "Bodhitsattva"

62. Steve Miller Band "Rock'n Me"

63. Survivor "Eye of the Tiger"

64. System of a Down "Chop Suey"

65. Talking Heads "Psycho Killer"

66. Tenacious D "Master Exploder"

67. Testament "Souls of Black"

68. The Donnas "New Kid in School"

69. The Go-Go's "We Got the Beat"

70. The Grateful Dead " Alabama Getaway"

71. The Guess Who "American Woman"

72. The Muffs "Kids in America"

73. The Offspring "Come Out & Play (Keep 'em Separated)"

74. The Replacements "Alex Chilton"

75. The Who "Pinball Wizard"

Bonus Songs

76. Abnormality "Visions"

77. Anarchy Club "Get Clean"

78. Bang Camaro "Night Lies"

79. Breaking Wheel "Shoulder to the Plow"

80. The Libyans "Neighborhood"

81. The Main Drag "A Jagged Gorgeous Winter"

82. Speck "Conventional Lover"

83. The Sterns "Supreme Girl"

84. That Handsome Devil "Rob the Prez-O-Dent"

Plus 20 more FREE DLC tracks! And you can import the RB1 songs for "less than $5".

Wtf?

That's a brand new song off their new album that hasn't been released yet, that's been in production for years. Apparently it's a big deal.

<--- (Not really a GnR fan.)

The Who pack got released today, and holy shit it's awesome. The songs are great, but the difficulty is also pretty high which I love! "Young Man Blues (Live at Leeds)" has some insanely hard drum parts, but luckily they're short enough to not kill you.

They actually did something right!:

LOS ANGELES -- Own Rock Band instruments on Xbox 360? They'll work with Guitar Hero World Tour.

At Activision's E3 press conference Tuesday, Guitar Hero director Brian Bright told the crowd that if they already owned guitar controllers and drum controllers from "previous games" on the Xbox 360, they'd work with Guitar Hero World Tour.

What Activision didn't say is how that will actually work, considering that Rock Band drums have four pad inputs and Guitar Hero World Tour has five.

UPDATE: Here's how it'll work. Speaking with Bright after the conference, I found out that the game's five-button drum track, shown above center, will be compressed down to four inputs if a Rock Band drum controller is inserted.

There's also a MIDI jack on the back of the drum kit, Bright said, which will allow gamers to play Guitar Hero with any electronic drum kit by simply plugging it into the controller. You can also hook up a second drum pedal if you want to play two bass drums.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/xbox-rock-band.html

That might be weird, though, compressing it into 4 pads...RB can do it because it's made that way, it's not auto -- unless GH will actually have two sets of note charts.

Also, MIDI adapter on the drumset, great! Except...why the fuck do I want to buy your drums if I already have my own set? How about you just sell me an adapter? HMX, you too!

Now I wonder if the ION drums will work fully with GH, since it'll have enough pads/cymbals. I have a feeling I'll probably be buying GHWT (game only) since I'm such an addict, and already have all the instruments anyway. User-created songs are definitely appealing.

Now I wonder if the ION drums will work fully with GH, since it'll have enough pads/cymbals. I have a feeling I'll probably be buying GHWT (game only) since I'm such an addict, and already have all the instruments anyway. User-created songs are definitely appealing.

I doubt that the ION kit will work, as Red Octane would have to allow third parties to create instruments for their game, right? I'm not completely sure about all the techo-legalities involved. It's all a bit weird!

Great news on the MIDI interface thing... does that mean ANY electronic drum kit will work? Maybe Activision/NeverSoft have finally got things sorted :tup:

I doubt that the ION kit will work, as Red Octane would have to allow third parties to create instruments for their game, right?

Well the ION kits WILL work with GHWT -- they're RB drums, and RB drums work in GHWT. But what I was wondering was if they'll be able to work with all 5 pads. The cymbals are just copies of the other pads, so it probably won't work, and the kit should be detected as RB drums, so no matter what you'll probably get 4 lanes only. I guess I just need to wait until people start making adapters for all these games.

Great news on the MIDI interface thing... does that mean ANY electronic drum kit will work? Maybe Activision/NeverSoft have finally got things sorted :tup:

Yes, any electronic kit will work, as long as it has MIDI out -- but you'll have to plug them into the GH drums! So again, I hope someone eventually makes a separate adapter.

BWAH HA HA! Got it! Take that, Snow ((Hey Oh))!

Second attempt, after getting warmed up with the entire Who pack (a great way to wash the taste of GH: Aerosmith out of my mouth, by the way) not only did I beat it, but I got 4 and 2/3 stars! Had full star power for the last third of the song too, but was saving it in case it got brutal again. It didn't, so next time I should actually be able to easily 5 star the damn thing, or at least get really close. I had a full bar when I went over at least 4 star power sequences, so I should be able to get a bunch of double-score time in. Made it through all of the brutal parts without activating star power once, very happy with myself on that one. Final score: 186,258. Whoo!

On another note, is it weird that, excited as I am about all the awesome in RB2's set list (holy crap! Bob Dylan! And my girlfriend squealed with glee when she saw Bikini Kill on there...) the one that stands out the most to me is Lump by the Presidents of the United States of America. Just sort of a "holy hell, I loved that song in high school!" thing, I guess.

And now, to bed. I gotta be at work in 7 hours...

Whatever. They invented star power, I don't feel bad using the term for this. If the term hadn't been taken from them, it'd probably still officially be star power now anyway.

I finally 5*'d The Perfect Drug and Thrasher! I kind of fixed my drums...it was just enough that they didn't break streaks as often.

Oh, and speaking of OD/SP, did you hear that hyperspeed is finally in the game?! Of course, now it's called...Breakneck speed.

I just heard Rock Band was made available here in Norway. I was going to buy it, and then I remembered the sequel, with better gear, has already been announced.

I wonder why EA are acting like retards with this game. Is it all the controllers making distribution so hard for them, or do they have some awesome plan? What other games have had this terrible a release schedule? I know there have been some huge Nintendo game delays, but I cannot believe they are anywhere near the fucktardedness of RB and RB2.

Has anyone transferred the RB1 songs to HD yet? We're going to do it eventually, but I'm so sick of those songs I don't want them in RB2 for a couple months.

The patch also makes gold stars easier to get, which is nice (I've gotten a couple more, even with my crappy drums), though it cheapens it a bit and makes all my previous GSs less special.

Also: yay more Jonathan Coulton!