toblix

Crock Band

Miffy, have you played "Thrasher" on guitar yet? Looks fun, I haven't gotten that pack yet though -- and we only have the (kinda broken) RB guitar still, so I dunno....

Is that in the Earache pack? I haven't downloaded that one. Listening to that sort of metal isn't really my thing, but if the songs are fun, who am I to argue? I'll definitely look into it.

Also, announced yesterday was the 6 song Boston pack! I'd buy the pack for "More Than A Feeling" by itself, but with 5 more songs, I'm unbelievable psyched for Tuesday's pack to drop.

Is that in the Earache pack? I haven't downloaded that one. Listening to that sort of metal isn't really my thing, but if the songs are fun, who am I to argue? I'll definitely look into it.

Yeah -- I don't really like the songs either, but I have to get it just for the challenge. Thrasher is probably the hardest guitar song to come out:

...and "Blinded by Fear" is one of the hardest drum songs -- or at least one of the fastest/most notes. It's a pretty basic pattern, and not even as hard as Blackened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RijF_1gu9JQ

How about that new in-game store?! Love it. Have you had any lag issues since the patch? Other people are reporting it, but it seems okay for us. We use manual calibration, and since the patch the actual numbers changed (from 60/0 to 25/-20) but it's still fine.

Actually, I'm netless at the moment. I'm writing this on an iPod touch using the university's wifi connection. For whatever reason my cable modem stopped working two days ago so I haven't had the chance to download the patch yet. Hopefully I'll be back up in a couple of days, but until then, no Harmonix store for me. :tdown:

Hurray, net's back! Got Boston, got joy from it. Although unfortunately, all people ever want to play when I get a group together is Band Quickplay, so no World Tour for me unless I spend a bunch of time convincing people that it can be fun to actually progress in the game. I've had it since mid-December and still hadn't even cleared out a single city completely until tonight. I've had to resort to (dirty as it may sound) Co-oping with myself. Live headset strapped on and guitar in hand, I finished everything in the London setlist tonight, singing on hard and guitar on expert. Kinda fun, but kills the point of it. And I had to do "Run to the Hills" about 4 times. Not that bad when there are 7 songs between each play of it, but whatever. Only failed when playing "Brass in Pocket" 'cause I don't know the words to that one. Could've used some support. Why oh why didn't they have online WT in this one?

Anyone else having to resort to things like this to see the entirety of the game? I unlocked the Endless Setlist tonight, but I figure that'll require some night in the summer when I can get a bunch of people together and none of us have to work the next day. No one can bitch about not having their favorite song (from the main setlist, anyway) included.

It's tempting to try playing alone, but I haven't tried it yet. I basically don't know anyone who can play higher than medium -- except my cousin, so when he was here we cleared out a bunch of the "hard-only" setlists, but we only had a few hours.

I'm still waiting for my roommates to get better at the game, but they just don't play enough. We unlocked the endless setlist, but haven't done it yet. We also haven't cleared *any* city completely yet, because we're so sick of some of the songs.

We have over 100 total songs now, and have lots of RB parties, but like you, it's always quickplay. How many songs does everyone else have so far?

Everything except for the Thrash Pack and "All the Small Things." I think that makes about 135. That's a lot of songs, but still I welcome more. I need help.

Yeah, I've unlocked the endless setlist as well, I just have no one to play through the whole thing with. Boo.

Is there any news on a European release yet? The wait is killing me!!

EDIT: Bloody typical! I finally got around to posting this and a second later they release the date...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/uk-rock-band-release-set-for-may-23

XBox360 version due out on May 23rd! (PS3 and PS2 in the "summer".)

Still a ways off, but at least I know when!

Not sure about the weird-ass pricing scheme, though:

The "Instrument Pack" will retail for GBP 129.99 / EUR 169 (featuring the drum kit, guitar and microphone peripherals)

The actual game will cost GBP 49.99 / EUR 69.99 (!)

Bringing the total bundle to around GBP 180 (inc. tax) which is the equivalent of $355 USD!!!!!!! (Even though the US version retails for $170 (£91) excluding tax.)

I think it might be cheaper to import the US version and just buy the game version when it's released.

OW! My ass!!! :tdown:

Those prices are insane! WTF are they thinking? It's more than a standard 360!

I accept that VAT makes things more expensive here, but VAT is 17.5% (We don't pay sales tax calculated at registers, just import duties that business have to build into their operating costs and prices). Most companies that operate internationally seem to add a bit more on top, but doubling the price is ridiculous. I'm pretty outraged.

All games and computer-based goods (even CDs) are inflated in price here, and always have been. I've been outraged longer than you have :P

Just import. I did, although mine was an import from the US to Canada. This game has the weirdest release scheme ever.

I would happily import, but the game is Region encoded, would you believe :tdown:

Also, it's impossible to import for less than £150, plus there's the risk of import taxes on the way it, too. Argh.

Do you have GHIII for 360? Will the guitar still work with Rock Band in Europe like it does in North America? You may be able to get away with only buying the game, and maybe picking up a standalone drum kit later whenever they get around to releasing them...

On another note: GODDAMN IT! Missed one fucking note on Gimme Shelter (Expert Drums) and didn't get the perfect achievement. Grah!

Well, the game isn't available yet, so it's hard to say. Activision/Red Octane will probably try and make it illegal for Rock Band to be able to use their equipment :shifty:

Still, wouldn't only having a guitar, and no microphone or drumkit, severely limit the game's enjoyment?

I'm waiting to see if the price will come down. There's got to be some sort of uproar about it... Where's Anonymous when you need them?

On another note: GODDAMN IT! Missed one fucking note on Gimme Shelter (Expert Drums) and didn't get the perfect achievement. Grah!

GOT IT!!! WHOOO! WHOOO! :woohoo::clap::woohoo:

*ahem* That is all.

Still, wouldn't only having a guitar, and no microphone or drumkit, severely limit the game's enjoyment?

Yeah, but most USB mics should work, and they're very cheap (ebay).

But aren't drums the new guitar? :)

Anyhoo, it's doesn't matter. It's my birthday on the 21st and the game comes out on the 23rd... guess what I'm getting :eyebrow: (gotta love this smiley)

I do feel conflicted, though: It's my 30th birthday and I'm really excited about getting Rock Band... Hmmm. Will I look back with regret at the childishness of my younger years - or will I still be trying to get five stars on expert at 80?

Haha, nah, I've never played any real instruments or been in a band; I just started playing Drummania a few years ago and really loved it.

Maybe you should try. GH in now way helps you to learn the guitar, in fact I think it hinders me in trying to learn the real instrument, but the drumming should help - you've trained yourself to hit rhythms correctly it seems!

Yeah, I have a "real" electronic drumset (and actually Drummania uses all the pads but no hi-hat pedal), and I have a few books but I do want to get some more. I mostly just play Rock Band now because we play so much that there's no reason to go play more drums afterwards.