Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Futurama's Return: Bender's Big Fail

We just watched the new Futurama thingy.. .what a huge failure... I don't want to give away any spoilers for anyone, but what happened? Where the writing staff entirely replaced? Just forget how to write?... become useless? WTF is going on.?

The sharp witty and awesome dialogue of Futurama has been replaced with a feature length failure with a plot which was obvious from 10 minutes in, but then mixed together with 5 other plots to create some kind of horrible plot sauce malfunction

Also the writers seemed to find it necessary to have every character they've ever invented thrown aimlessly into the mix.

I don't believe in scores, but in this case I find it necessary to give one, and rate the new Futurama a giant :tdown: C- or at best a :tmeh::fart:

maybe it even advocates the use of this

:spiraldy:

OK maybe not quite that, but it was terrible, and at times embarrassing to watch

Please get it back together guys, you used to stun me with your writing, literally break me with awe.

:violin:

And WTF IGN and UGO gave it an A and said it was awesome... erm

no.

IGN gave it an A because they're nerds reviewing new Futurama so it doesn't matter how good it is.

I was really disappointed by it. What a mess. It wasn't paced like a movie and it wasn't paced like four episodes strung together, it was just fucked.

It was remarkable how clever it wasn't. There were a few jokes I liked a lot but it was a weak script. Really underwritten and obvious. It was clear with most of the dialogue that they took the first joke that came to mind and never tried to top it. They were all really easy jokes to make. Classic-period Simpsons and classic Futurama were so funny because it was rewritten so much with so many people involved and they rarely settled for the okay joke that was easier to come up with than the good joke. This one was a first draft.

Yeah, I agree with Duncan, the jokes were really lacking and contained no bite at all. Near the beginning they go to a nude beach planet, and do they use the opportunity to play on american attitudes to nudity?... no they just make a couple of lame penis jokes and leave it at that.

In terms of plot and imagination, it felt like old episodes rehashed. Almost everything that happened has been done before on the show in one way or another.

It was watchable, but it should have been great. A shame.

New Futurama has ruined my life, I felt embarrassed watching some parts because the jokes fells so flat on their face.

;(

And the got Zoidburg's wubwubwub run wrong :(

Featurelength sitcom movies are rarely very good. I mean; the Family Guy movie was just an episode too, basically.

(The 100th episode double was brilliant, by the way :tup:)

Yer, I saw this the other night and was dissapointed. So very average, it had me mildly distracted (entertained is not the word) for the whole thing, waiting for some awesome.

If I was kind i'd say I laughed twice.

:tdown:

Jesus, so much hate! I didn't even know this was out yet, and just watched it yesterday. With all this hate I didn't know what to expect and was prepared to stop watching half-way because of not being able to withstand watching the wasted comedic potential or something. But I was pleasantly surprised.

While it was not up there with the best episodes, and it seemed to suffer from being one long one and not three shorter ones, it was still up to snuff, which means a lot considering it's Futurama.

I don't hate it, I just don't love it nearly as much as I thought I would, it being Futurama.

Yeah, having just watched it the hate is a bit out of proportion (if understandable considering how much everyone loves the show and how consistently good that was). Basically it was average and suffered because of the length; but there were some funny moments and it was by no means terrible as a standalone. It's all relative.

Doesn't seem like people hate it to me, it just sounds like it's not as good as we'd all hoped... Which, considering the situation (Futurama being brought back), pretty much sucks.

I liked it too. A bit chaotic at first, but much better the second time.

those saying it is average, watch some old episodes, jsut pick 5 random ones and watch them, and then tell me that this was nothing but awful, with 0 good jokes...

i was randomly watching the first few seasons jsut before this came out so i had a very clear frame of reference... the old writing makes me die from jealously, this is the opposite.

i dont HATE it, but i'll certainly never watch it again, and consider it awful and a waste of my life.

I've regularly watched the old episodes, and there are plenty of duds. This is easily better than the worst episodes in the series.

You have to remember that Spaff has no middle ground. He either falls in love with something, or loathes it. Very black & white. That's why we love him :D

You have to remember that Spaff has no middle ground. He either falls in love with something, or loathes it. Very black & white. That's why we love him :D

Or completely loathe him?

I've regularly watched the old episodes, and there are plenty of duds. This is easily better than the worst episodes in the series.

yeah like "The Cryonic Woman" or "Love and Rocket"

I couldn't stomach the whole thing in one session, but I still thought there were some nice moments in between. Zoidberg felt a bit stronger in the later bits and somehow the whole time travel plot amused me.

I'm easily amused by time travel stuff, like Bender being the one who destroys New York city while Fry's frozen.

But on the whole there was too much garbage in between. I can understand, however, that they wanted to try and bring as many characters in for a cameo seeing as this was their big return to the TV. But it just felt like too much at some point.

I really hated how cheap Family Guy-esque jokes reared their ugly head. :tdown:

I did really enjoy the new variations of the main theme, however. :tup:

In other news, anyone watched any of the new Boosh?

I've only seen one episode of the new boosh. It was OK.

Don't slate Family Guy.