Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Call of Duty 4

I was actually wondering about cross-platform play myself. People here seem to be playing on 360, but if/when I get it it'll probably be through Steam. It's been done before, and I had hopes that it was the start of a new trend. Seems not, but a guy can dream, right?

Just played the Chernobyl part they showed as a demo a while back, with the guy in camo appearing up from the grass. Even though everything up to that point had been a blast, this level fucking eclipsed everything preceding it. The colors, the pacing, the maps... at one point I almost had the HL2 feeling of wanting to explore the surroundings more, like the place was more real or something. I guess it felt much like I hoped Stalker would feel like.

The part before that, though, where...

Price executed the prisoner

...jarred me somewhat.

I picked it up and I'm kind of er, surprised that it is isn't rated 18 here? I can't believe Oblivion is rated 18 while this game isn't rated ANYTHING (equivalent of a 'U'). Even Guitar Hero was PG...?!

I don't mean to be prudish, but some of the things I've come across so far are kind of shocking... Shooting and killing people while they sleep... Being pulled out of a cell, beaten, driven around a city and then executed. Sure, there's not much blood, but there's pretty much everything else...!

Also, again I don't mean to sound prudish, but the game seems a little racist so far, too...? The references and portrayals of eastern block countries and of Russians, so far, seem a little insensitive and ignorant? (Just me being sensitive?)

What level did you guys play it on? In the training mission, the game suggested I play on 'Hardened' - I'm at the chernobyl bit, by the ferris wheel. I tried for an hour to get past the section where you just need to hang on until the chinook arrives to take you away. I made it there once, picked up price, then died in a hail of bullets from 97 enemies. Is there anything you can do to trigger fewer enemies to spawn? I had to go outside and fly my kite so I didn't chuck the controller through the telly in frustration. Then the wind was too strong and I got dragged around the field - but at least it was fun :)

the game seems a little racist so far

SB_robot-hitler_colorthumbnail.jpg

Robot Hitler says, "Nein!"

Well, maybe. I don't know. It didn't leap out and slap me in the face but it could be that I'm just too used to seeing Russians, Arabs and Terrorists in the bad guy role. Take into account the fact that the games got a modern setting and I think it could perhaps cut a little too close to the bone for some people. But I'm not them. As I said, I don't know.

The Americans and the Brits are portrayed as rather unlikeable at times as well, like in the scene toblix mentioned above. And while the bad guys are clearly "bad guys," some of the acts which the English perform (shooting the sleeping guards, though I think that might be player-directed) are altogether more loathsome.

True, it could well be me being over-sensitive. I keep trying to think of it as being a bit "James Bond-y", but I can't imagine even Daniel Craig shooting a ship's crew in their sleep (which is done by the NPCs). Probably just me.

Definitely surprised that there's no BBFC rating, though. It's hard to believe that the fantasy-set Oblivion could get an 18 and this not get anything...?

On the plus side, it is visually STUNNING, though. Really well done.

Tis a good point. A quick search of the BBFC site brings up this which is filed under DVD Extras. Couldn't find any other mention of the game so not sure exactly whats going on there.

What level did you guys play it on?

I did it on Medium because I'm not really interested in getting stuck on a game like this, just about pushing the plot along and firing my pop gun. I've heard that there are some easier ways of tackling the section you're talking about - something about hiding inside a ticket booth, but you'd have to search for that because I only heard it over Xbox Live. Hope that helps anyways.

Yeh I've found the ticket booth. It's indestructible, and blocks the grenade blasts. You just need to try and keep the guys down who face the doorway so one doesn't land in it. The chopper arrives and they say you have 30 seconds. I made a dash for it, but perhaps at this point the enemies stop respawning. Perhaps 15 seconds of sniping would be well invested. Cheers though, at least you've given me will to try it again.

I'm giving serious thought to tackling the Veteran achievements this week, but it sounds like outright sadism by all accounts...

I'm enjoying the singleplayer experience and anyone put off by the demo shouldn't be concerned. Whilst the gameplay hasn't improved significantly the enjoyment factor is very high. I personally like the lack of having an opinion so far as well.

I only played multiplayer for about fifteen or twenty minutes so I'm in no position to judge that just yet. Two games, one in headquarters mode and one in team deathmatch. The headquarters game was unforgiving in that I spawned into a war zone and everyone was dying all around me. Was difficult to make out enemies from friendlies and in the chaos no one would tell me what we were supposed to be doing (aside from getting killed :D). Team deathmatch game was much easier in contrast and I was first on the leaderboard at the end. Comparisons to Counter-Strike are apt - but not really had a chance to soak any of it in.

Still, early days and it looks to be a good purchase (if expensive on Steam).

Was difficult to make out enemies from friendlies and in the chaos

As much horse shit as this may sound, this actually becomes instinctive after a modest amount of time. It very suddenly clicked for me last night and the game leapt another notch in terms of fun.

Gash and I played again with some regulars we've been meeting up with and it was an absolute blast. I'm also starting to get better at the game too, even though I'm still a very lowly rank at present.

Really, really can't recommend Call of Duty 4 enough -- it's a sublime package.

I've started on the veteran struggle. It's ok so far, although I've only got to the TV station level. The big room kept me retrying for a while though...

Those last few levels on hardened has made it one of the toughest games I've played on the xbox, especially as the enemy soldiers all seem to be olympic shot putters with the accuracy of a crown greens bowler. They can also seem to sustain about 4 GPS [Grenades Per Second] at any given moment, making it extremely difficult to stay in cover. Once you break cover, they switch weapons and aim with the reactions of a cat, and the accuracy of a marksman, even on full auto. I predict a broken controller for veteran.

Ah, I neglected to mention I gave Arcade mode a try last night for the first time. It's a hoot, like Time Crisis but not on rails. The scoring system is quite addictive, plus you're still able to get achievements too. :tup:

If they ported the game to Wii in this mode exclusively, it'd be no less brilliant I think.

What level did you guys play it on? In the training mission, the game suggested I play on 'Hardened' - I'm at the chernobyl bit, by the ferris wheel. I tried for an hour to get past the section where you just need to hang on until the chinook arrives to take you away. I made it there once, picked up price, then died in a hail of bullets from 97 enemies. Is there anything you can do to trigger fewer enemies to spawn? I had to go outside and fly my kite so I didn't chuck the controller through the telly in frustration. Then the wind was too strong and I got dragged around the field - but at least it was fun :)

I'm playing on hardened and ffs I don't even want to imagine this level on veteran mode. It's insane and totally frustrating to boot. A chinook with only 30 seconds of spare fuel... oh fuck off honestly! I've probably spent about 4 hours on this map alone and I want to kill myself.

It's destroying my perception of the game, one death after the other. You'd think they'd have learnt that people (generally) don't enjoy these parts of the Call of Duty franchise - but seemingly not. What was turning out to be a great experience ended in defeat and dissatisfaction. It's when you play shit like this you appreciate how Valve holds your hand.

*fume*

:D

!!!!GAWD!!!!!

unngg....

:violin:

What was turning out to be a great experience ended in defeat and dissatisfaction. It's when you play shit like this you appreciate how Valve holds your hand.

I will enjoy seeing you eat those words once you've dropped out of your post-orgasmic haze from actually beating the level.

I've been playing a bit more of Arcade mode, on Hardened, and the difficulty increase doesn't seem unreasonable or ridiculous to me so far.

Yeh Cigol, I know what you're saying. I think it took me about 3 1/2 hours all told (in two sessions) to beat that level. Then I got stuck at a point further on, but not as badly. Up until then, the game had been a joy to play, and it ruined it a little for me as well. It seemed the difficulty-curve became a vertical line at that point, then became more sensible again. I did all ghillied up, but was not about to attempt the next one on veteran (i.e. the sniper one). I might give it a go one day.

I did the mission before the AC-130 one last night on veteran. The one where the SAS have to escape to the evac zone. That got really frustrating, especially with that blimmin' helicopter providing cover-fire at the final bit. As soon as more than your nose was poking out, the guy on the mini-gun focussed on you. Was a real pleasure to shoot that fucker down with the shoulder SAM.

I did all ghillied up, but was not about to attempt the next one on veteran (i.e. the sniper one). I might give it a go one day.

If you do, the trick to surviving the hold-out at the end is to go prone in the ticket booth by the ferris wheel.

The booth is impervious to grenade explosions, so you "just" have to stay prone and shoot any enemies that come round to the booth door to try and get you.

Of course, you'll still have the sprint to the Chinook to get through right at the end...

Oh, I tried that, believe me :) It has the distinct advantage of the fact that any dogs who try and attack you get blown up by grenades. Every so often a grenade would land in the door. I went back to camping out behind the concrete wall things, and setting claymores up for dog/human rush defence.

Every so often a grenade would land in the door.

Ah, yes. I neglected to mention the other key aspect of this strategy is throwing away any grenades that do make it inside as quickly as possible. ;(

Oh I tried that, and AMAZINGLY it worked - but I was so disorientated that I had no idea what was going on outside and by the time I realised I had to haul ass to the chopper before its 30 seconds of fuel were used up I had lept up in a panic and got killed in a hail of random chaotic gunfire.

I tried it again thinking my increased knowledge of how the scenario unfolds would serve me well. Unfortunately no matter how many grenades I threw out, one or two would somehow find their way in and destroy my frail , fragile corpse. For some reason the prone in the ticket boot no longer worked - causing me to hurl insults to my monitor (knowing full well it didn't care, which in turn made it all the more infuriating).

So a new strategy was hatched - RUN TOWARDS THE ENEMY - because they are clearly scripted to run towards the ticket booth area they might then pass me by if I can infiltrate a position behind them. With the added benefit that they'll stop throwing an endless supply of grenades in my direction.

...and lo and behold, I was right! Running towards the area past where you initially jumped down there is a deadend allyway, and in here you can hide and eat down the clock.

SUCCESS!

The helicopter is now here and I've got 30 seconds to haul ass and make my way past the other troops. Thankfully the chinooks crew lay down some covering fire which provides enough of a distraction for me to wind my way past the wrecks and debris and dive into the back. "I'VE DONE IT!!!" I cry out loud as I board the helicopter, tears streaming down my face and a smile emerging from where there was once a frown.

But I hadn't done it at all. I'd left my comrade in arms sat twiddling his thumbs on the sidelines. OH ME GODS. Give me a hand I shout to the several chinook members who are now putting away their weapons and boarding the helicopter. I'll just be a minute I gesture to the pilot as he starts up the engine and increases the throttle. I'M COMING I scream at the top of my lungs as the chinook takes off overhead and leaves me and Cpt. McDickhead to our certain doom.

But I didn't get too disheartened. This'll work I tell myself (repeatedly). I just need to perfect the strategy and get lucky. Unfortunately no matter how many fucking times I tried I couldn't save myself AND my disabled mentor.

...am I smiling. Oh you betcha!

I'd like to see the gameplay stats for this piece of shit. Especially the point where people just give up. With this many awesome games fighting for my time, I'm not going to spend any of it "trying again" like some 90's guy. This thing completely ruins the cinematic feeling they've managed to build up through the course of the game.

It's obvious that the designers knew about this difficulty spike. Who the fuck let them be the designers? It's only satisfying in the end if you're not furious with frustration by the time you reach it.