LOPcagney

TF2 Thumbs Tournament

Well then, let's set a date. I was hesitant to post anything on the group page because there was no room for comments, but how does the 3rd or the 4th sound?

I vote 4th, if only for the connotations it has with 'Independence Day'. A somewhat overrated, but enjoyable movie experience.

I vote 4th, if only for the connotations it has with 'Independence Day'. A somewhat overrated, but enjoyable movie experience.

Here here. 4th works best for me too.

The 4th is Sunday so unless you're playing at like 4pm EST time you can count me out. ;(

The 4th is Sunday so unless you're playing at like 4pm EST time you can count me out. ;(

Oh right. Um, so is Saturday an option?

Yeah, the 3rd is good. I can afford to be playing with you guys at like 3am on Saturday, but definitely not Sunday before work. :tup:

LucasTones!! got TF2 the other day so I'll rope him along if I can, and Huz too.

My broadband connection transfer has been completely fUx0R3D by BT, so I've no chance of (buying/downloading/playing) for a good while yet.

Well, as I just ordered (should be here in 2 days) a computer that should actually be able to capably run TF2, I'd be in for a game or two. Maybe we should run a few of these though, considering that:

a) I've never played TF (any) before and will be a complete retard as I find my feet in the game.

B) I very much doubt there'd be any one time that would work for everyone. For instance, the game you've scheduled I would be at work during.

That said, why not set up some kind of "Thumb league" we could all work our way through? Use the Steam events thing to post games every few days and see who goes in. I don't know how many other Thumbs have their schedules as in flux as mine, but if I see a game I can make on the list, I'd always boot in for it.

Just sayin' is all... :getmecoat

I think 7pm is probably the most balanced time. It's still before midnight for the UK, and hopefully most people will be back from work in the US by then if they happen to be mental and working on weekends.

I could manage that in the week too so regular games ought to be OK.

This kind of only works if you get a decent number of players, but the Black Cat Games community (mod team, not the torrent site) sometimes stage invasions of servers/games.

They kind of roll on for 24 hours or so, with players popping up from from different timezones for the whole period. It is pretty funny watching regulars react to a dozen or so unknown players show up with a BCG tag.

The event has been posted ont he thumb steam group. But I'm confused at what time we're starting. Can anyone tell me what timezone the mentioned time is?

Does it not dynamically adjust to the users timezone? It says 7pm here (GMT) but I really just posted to get the thing 'official'.

It's time zone adjusted.

If we're having difficulty finding a private server, Wireplay runs a community server in the UK that's intended for community events like this. The Wireplay community itself only actually has them once a week though so it's invariably empty and passworded.

I'm expecting it'll be more a case of not many people turning up though and us just having to go into some public server. It's my sister's birthday tonight so I myself might end up going afk a bit.

The public server IP in the Steam announcement looks like a waste of time though as it's full to the brim. We're much better off finding a low-population server if we take that route.

So the game happened right in the middle of my shift. Two questions:

1) How'd it go?

2) When's round two and will I be able to practice a bit beforehand?

Nothing very official happend. About 5 or 6 of us joined the sevrer but were kind of lost in the crowd. We need a server to ourselves and enough people to fill it.

AS an aside on TF2, and this is nothing to do with thumbs players, but I'm getting frustrated with TF2 lately. I still really enjoy it, but find myself getting immensley irritated when I find myself on a weak team. As I was saying to Nachimir earlier, I've never felt that way in Counterstrike. In CSS I can have loads of fun while getting trounced.

In TF2 though, if your team flakes then you are left feeling completely helpless, as teamwork is so integral that even a great player will get wiped when facing a more cohesive opposing side. The game is at that stage where there is a vast difference in players that have a grasp on the tactics and other players who, for instance, choose to fill half of an attacking team with engineers, or build a sentry next to the spawn room where it does fuck-all until the very end and then not much, or defend a capture point by standing next to it just outside the outline and firing a pistol randomly, or repeatedly run their scout past the same bank of sentries without considering whether a demoman would fair better.

Phew, that feels better. Been wanting to get that off my chest. Seriously, I'm looking forward to playing with a bunch of Thumbers where I can relax and not really care how the game goes, because it's all friendly.

Yeah yeah I know, I need to chill :P