Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Apartment hunting

So, I went to look at an apartment today. It's about time to leave the old nest, etc. So, I went and looked, and I liked it, and thought about it a bit, and then suddenly it hits me: Holy fucking shitting shit! and now I can't sleep.

Why the holy shit part?

I guess it's a crappy apartment owned by the church

No, it's just that I've been living at home for the last 24 years, and suddenly I'm all into this shit with buying something costing more money than I'll ever see and having to insure, fucking... shit, I dunno. And just... it's so crazy. In a matter of weeks my life may be totally different, who knows?

Anyway, that was the holy shit part.

edit:

Also, I can't get Still Alive out of my head!

Wow, you're immediately buying a house? I understand the holy shit part now; that is some scary money you need to cough up. Isn't renting a more affordable short-term solution? But as an investment, you can't go wrong with property, of course. Good luck!

No, it's just that I've been living at home for the last 24 years, and suddenly I'm all into this shit with buying something costing more money than I'll ever see and having to insure, fucking... shit, I dunno. And just... it's so crazy. In a matter of weeks my life may be totally different, who knows?
So with "home" you meant "with your parent(s)"? Then I understand. But don't worry, we all have to live on our own sooner or later, and millions of us have managed just fine! Look at all the homeless people roaming the parks!

I remember when I moved away from home (at the age of 19) I spent the first two weeks battling great despair and anxiety. Cooking was something especially scary.

Wow, you're immediately buying a house? I understand the holy shit part now; that is some scary money you need to cough up. Isn't renting a more affordable short-term solution? But as an investment, you can't go wrong with property, of course. Good luck!

...except for the on-coming global slump in the housing market, thanks to the arse falling out the shadier end of the business in the US. :fart:

Anyway, I'm in the midst of moving preparations at the moment and it's truly wretched. Having little support from one's spouse's olds only adds to the misery, but it looks like they may be clearing off back abroad when the time comes (Thursday next week in fact), which is somewhat of a relief.

But congratulations on the move--enjoy your new home! Oh and if you're (evidently) shitting it over money and mortgages etc., is sub-letting an option?

When I left home at 23, I thought "Why the fuck didn't I do this sooner?"

Actually that's a bloody good point in my respect too.

.. Having little support from one's spouse's olds only adds to the misery, but it looks like they may be clearing off back abroad when the time comes (Thursday next week in fact), which is somewhat of a relief.

hah, freakin bizarre, we moved last weekend and my boyfriend's parents were in greece on holiday. my mum and dad now hate me for the 85 round trips we had to make in their cars as a result. still, it's done now.

I moved out when I was only just 20, and it was awesome. I was totally ready for it and I never despaired for an instant. I can't begin to stress how much it does for your feeling of selfconfidence and control over your life to live on your own, and chores like doing the groceries and cleaning are actually pretty facile to implement into your schedule.

Well, it's on! Tomorrow we'll know who's got the bigger bag of money.

..or the biggest balls.

Anyway, I got it.

Good work.

We moved house last Thursday and, despite the inevitable fuck-up with getting the phone line at the new house simply switched into our name, it seems to have gone well. The kids now each have their own bedrooms again and I can have more than one console setup at once! :woohoo: