toblix

Portal

Done all the advanced maps and got golds on all the "fewest portals" challenges, but goddamn are the "fewest steps" challenges hard (well the first one is crazy hard anyway) got a gold on the second one of those though.

Just finished the campaign! I thought it was gonna be some stupid puzzle game, but I was so very wrong. Granted none of the puzzles were really cerebral and seemd to rely more on timing, but everything else just blew me away. This alone was totally worth the price of the entire orange box.

I wish I can bang my head against a brick wall until I lose all my memory so I can play through it again fresh.

Damn that was good. Very easy (wasn't stuck once), but damn good. Great ending, fantastic credit sequence.:clap:

Holeru shitteru! I'm playing through it again with commentaries, and in one of the commentary thingies they said "something something, but in this first Portal game, something something". In this first Portal game? There's more? That's awesome!

Holeru shitteru! I'm playing through it again with commentaries, and in one of the commentary thingies they said "something something, but in this first Portal game, something something". In this first Portal game? There's more? That's awesome!

Might be referring to Narbacular Drop, the portal tech demo back when the devs were college students. The most interesting difference is that you can project portals *through* other portals. Otherwise, a sequel would be damn cool.

I finished the advanced maps with only a little bit of swearing. the challenges though... they're going to keep me busy for a long time, I can tell.

I think the clip that Toblix is quoting seems to infer that Portal is the first "portal" brand game, thereby implying that there may be more. So yes, there may be more to come. One possibility that occurred to me is if they started messing with time, such as portals that could be set up to the past. Developing such a system though would be even more mindmelting than playing it.

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe a Portal 2 or something. Or Portal: Episode One. Or Portal: The Portaling. Really, anything with more Portal would rock.

This is crazy! I just completed it for the second time, with the commentaries, and during the ending song... I know it's supposed to be funny, but I was... moved or something. It was like I got something in my eye, I mean. There's something just right about this game, and I'm just so impressed with Valve. I already knew they were the best at shooters, but then they try this crazy new first perzon puzzler thingy, and it's fucking perfect! What is it with these people? In a way, I would think it impossible to "merge" these two game worlds, one being this bleak action thing and the other almost a comedy game, but by now I'm just thinking that whatever they decide to do they'll just go ahead and do it perfectly, so that the only ones who can do any better are themselves. Seriously, who makes better games than Valve? Nobody, that's who. Anyway, good night.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the devs mentioned more portal in the future. I'll try and get that confirmed somehow.

This is crazy! I just completed it for the second time, with the commentaries, and during the ending song... I know it's supposed to be funny, but I was... moved or something.

I know what you mean Toblix, the end is somehow very poignant. Possibly because it seems not only to be about the experiment in the fiction of the game, but the creation of the game itself

(This was a triumph!

I'm making a note here:

HUGE SUCCESS...

///

These points of data make a beautiful line

We're out of beta

we're releasing on time...)

I realised something that made the cake even funnier. While I was at uni I took part in a couple of psychology experiments run by undergrads. Since they cannot afford to pay participants they often provide other, somewhat underwhelming incentives.... such as cake.

Oh, I found some more stuff on the aperture science website. Type HELP for a list of commands (most of which do nothing). also type THECAKEISALIE for a secret note from another "employee".

Ok, impressive. Damn impressive. I was right to be as enthusiastic as I was when the game was announced. On test 18 now, having just

killed the companion cube

and my only complaint about the game is actually a complaint about my PC. GodDAMN can it be laggy. Killed me about 7 times on test 14/15

whichever one has you using portals to get onto those moving platforms in the snaking corridor

simply because my PC couldn't handle the recursion from portals looking into portals and creating an infinite loop of infinite lag. I couldn't see what I was doing well enough to traverse the level. Only time it's really come up though, and I set down the graphics afterwards which has made it more manageable. They were already set to below the recommended for my PC, but now they're lower and better, so all is survivable.

Humor is great, game is just enough of a thinker to have you scratching your chin but not getting pissed off. The first time a turret told me "please put me back down." I couldn't stop giggling. They say funnier things, sure, but something about that one was just so perfect. Love the game. Going to have to eventually get the Orange Box on 360 so I can play through the whole thing without the lag.

[...]my PC couldn't handle the recursion from portals looking into portals and creating an infinite loop of infinite lag.

Actually, once the first portal has been drawn, drawing the rest is simply a matter of copying the image of the portal into itself, so the performance hit isn't proportional to the number of visible portals at any given time. Still, you can adjust the depth of portal rendering in the settings, the maximum being 9. I noticed a slight lag when setting it to 9, so I ended up with 6, I think. I still couldn't see the "end of the tunnel" though, so setting it to 3 or four should still be enough, and not too stressful on your computer either.

Have you guys seen this flash version of Portal? It's actually pretty cool: http://www.armorgames.com/games/portaltheflashversion_game.html

Neat. Beat it earlier today (40 levels). Some of the collision detection was a bit iffy (boxes going through walls, non-stackable turrets, going through exit at too high a speed somehow teleports you to the entrance :shifty:), but pretty fun.

Just played through the normal campaign in one sitting and I have to say that Portal is probably the funniest game I've played this year.

Oh, and Valve will begin selling weighted companion cubes later this year!

Oh, and Valve will begin selling weighted companion cubes later this year!

Gleeeee!!!

I hope they ship to canada.

Man, I can't believe they managed to turn a stinkin CUBE into a memorable and somewhat likable character.

Gleeeee!!!

I hope they ship to canada.

Man, I can't believe they managed to turn a stinkin CUBE into a memorable and somewhat likable character.

If anything, it shows you how superficial most characters in games really are. That cube has more character than Master Chief. All hail inanimate carbon rod weighted companion cube!.

Addendum: Still Alive - radio mix.mp3"]http://the-inbetween.com/dump/audio/[Portal] Still Alive - radio mix.mp3

Finished in one seating too and I must say it's the best game I've played in the past 6 months : it's smart, well-paced and the length is just what it should be, no more, no less.

One thing though :

The survivor messages were good but could have been better as they begin to repeat themselves from a certain point. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, we just stop seeing any of those in the last part of the game

... or maybe I have missed something ?

You might have missed some. They are occasionally in pretty hard to reach places.

Am I the only one who knew Jonathan Coulton did this this song before hand? :eek:

One you play both games, if you pay attention, you'll see the connection between both of them! :yep:

Am I the only one who knew Jonathan Coulton did this this song before hand? :eek:

Once you play both games, if you pay attention, you'll see the connection between both of them! :yep:

Uh? Both games? There is only one portal as far as I know of?

Uh? Both games? There is only one portal as far as I know of?

I meant Half Life 2: Episode 2...

Both games mention each other faculty, I don't remember the name of each, but in Episode 3 you should visit a site built buy the company who build the portal machine. And near the end you see a slideshow that mentions the company behind Black Mesa and Gordon. Who know maybe we'll find the portal gun in Episode 3