Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

A few things have been reminding me for the past few days just how utterly joyful the video to Fatboy Slim's Weapon of Choice is. I don't think anyone could play it as straight as Christopher Walken does :)

Ander Ilar released a superb mix for the Resident Adviser podcast recently.

It's quite a peaceful, atmospheric collection of music, verging on ambient at times. Really nice.

I just went to see The Apples.

Tonights gig was 1 drummer, 1 double bassist, 2 on saxes, 1 trombone, 1 trumpet and 2 DJs scratching. Apparently, they sometimes swell to 12 people or so. They did a Ska version of Killing In The Name Of, the crowd went nuts. The track called "Attention" is more typical of them. Great stuff to dance to :)

Very nice Nachimir. Some sounds a bit like Red Snapper, some a bit like Up, Bustle and Out, but different. Cheers. They appear to be playing at the corp in sheffield on the 7th. Will try and make it down.

Funnily enough, I finally signed up for an account this morning.

I shall foster my taste in music upon the world in short order (then post my URL here).

Interesting. How does Muxtape work? It's letting me upload any song, but doesn't that break copyright or license agreements? Not that I'm complaining.

"Users may not upload multiple songs from the same album or artist, or songs they do not have permission to let Muxtape use."

Which rules out quite a few songs..

Anyway, been listening to Melvins and Buckethead lately. Love them both.

Cool, I just found that there are a few different places online where you can download Chick Habit by April March (the credits music for Death Proof). I really like this tune. Haven't been able to find much else by April March, but I'll keep looking I think.

EDIT: the rest of her stuff is a bit meh :tmeh:

I'm currently listening to M83's Saturdays=Youth. Didn't know the band before, checked it out based on a mini review in Wired.

Also, some Bob Dylan's early stuff.

Finally sorted myself out with a copy of Vangelis' Blade Runner. Wonderful stuff and I'm sure I'll drive everyone else within hearing distance mad with it. :violin:

I think I just found my ultimate summer CD:

Global underground 32: Mexico City, mixed by Adam Freeland. Lots of chill-out progressive house & techno. YUM!

Bring on the summer!

I've been listening to Crystal Castles for the past month or so, and like the 8 bit influence a lot.

I also just found out they played my town a few days ago and I didn't hear about it. I'll also miss them by three days when I visit Amsterdam later this month. Sad am I.

I think I just found my ultimate summer CD:

Global underground 32: Mexico City, mixed by Adam Freeland. Lots of chill-out progressive house & techno. YUM!

Bring on the summer!

I love the Global Underground series - it's easily the most consistently brilliant series in a boiling sea of shitty MoS Annual-esque plops on the music world.

Pop Trivia: Adam Freeland provided the Area 5 theme for Rez. "Fear is the mind-killer," oh yes! :woohoo:

Claro Intelecto today at work, and slightly surprised to be getting a universal positive reaction to it at the office. Not sure if there's much online to listen to, but it's good.

The commercial site linked from his site is the only place I can find with a quick squiz round the net, Last FM only shows similar artists.

Lately I've been enjoying The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely. Really good.

I've been rebuilding my iTunes library which I lost in the tragic stepping-onto-laptop incident of December 2007. Stuff I've just recovered and am re-enjoying:

* Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock & Roll. Nice simple rock album with a sense of humor. Fun lyrics.

* Nouvelle Vague - Bande A Part. Cover band does various 80ies songs in bossa nova / loungey style. Not for everyone,y.

* OK Go - Oh No. Has some good stuff.

* LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver. Very nice.

Based on already liking your other three recommendations, I'm going to have to try Art Brut.

Sound of Silver has been in my playlists nearly every week so far this year.

After really enjoying Toonstruck's soundtrack, I'm listening endlessly to Ren & Stimpy Unofficial Production Music : they've got most of the classics from 50's/60's cartoons which gives the whole thing a nostalgia bonus but if you're into light jazz you'll find the pieces themselves pretty amazing,.