Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

There's a new The Hives album out. Not exactly convinced this is a good record yet. You can listen to it here if you want.

Underworld has released a new CD aswell: Oblivion with Bells. And it's good. Really mellow and minimalistic. Perfect for a sunday autumn afternoon sitting in the sun while reading a book. :tup: :tup:

About bloody time!

Listened to it twice now and, whilst it's not brilliant, it's much more "on form" than A Hundred Days Off. Which was shit, frankly--except for Dinosaur Adventure 3D.

Also made a point of finally listening to Long Range's début album, Madness and Me, yesterday. I'd been put off doing so because I think the Hartnoll boys seemed really off key in Orbital's last "proper" album, The Altogether. Phil's personal project comes through OK though in my opinion; not outstanding, but very pleasant and listenable all the same. Going to make a point of giving brother Paul's Ideal Condition a good listening-to now as a result.

Not wishing to allow this thread to dwindle into obscurity, I'm going to regale you with my current listenings:

This week I are been mostly having to douse my spontaneously alight trousers to the sounds of Muse's fucking amazing Black Holes and Revelations, with one of my favourite tracks being Map of the Problematique*.

* PM me if you'd like an invite to the rather good Pownce!

Hi. My name is Marek and I lost my entire iTunes library in a computer crash.

:spiraldy:

Oh dear... I don't know what to say, Marek. I'm assuming this was very recent?

As did I. I never realized how handy an iPod could be until I hunted through the hidden files on the thing and recovered all my old music to my new PC. Granted, the names of the files are all QCUE.mp3, etc now but iTunes seems to be able to tell what each one actually is, so I'm ok for it. Sorry for your loss man.

Hi. My name is Marek and I lost my entire iTunes library in a computer crash.

Marek, if I can help with the recovery operation just let me know. I have every Progcast and most of friskyRadio's podcast output on tap, plus a few separate (and quite beautiful) Progressive mixes by people like Way Out West, Christopher Lobsinger, Pole Folder and James Zabiela.

Digital Transfer is the future of music business!!! :tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

...the tracks I alluded to have been made freely - and legitimately - available on the Internet in the past, but they can be tricky to find now. :(

I'm giving a lot of love to Beirut at the moment.

Other than that, Venetian Snares ('Winnepg is a frozen shithole' and 'Rossz Czillag'), The National's debut album, and some stuff from The Frames. Aphex's new alter ego The Tuss is getting some airtime an' all.

Electronica? Bring it on!

Venetian Snares ('Winnepg is a frozen shithole' and 'Rossz Czillag')

Really? Though I can attest to the fact that Winnipeg is a frozen shithole, that album was the weakest thing he's put out in a while. BTW, if you like Rosszwhatever you should pick up My Downfall. It's worth it for "My Half" alone.

Been also listening to the new Synapscape and these (local) guys lately (awesome crazy video). Great indie-electronica (or whatever the fuck you want to call it.)

I find that winnepeg album strangely relaxing.

I listened to snatches of My Downfall on bleep, and from the inital cursory listen reckoned it was loads of stuff that didn't get into Rossz Czillag. Will give it another go though, as you know his stuff. It's 9 quid for a FLAC release, so not too bad.

Since the Thermals made their first stop in Calgary, I've been listening to Fuckin' A as well as Ween's new album La Cucaracha as I've always had a bit of a soft spot for those guys despite some friends of mine having a "You listen to Ween???" reaction. Been giving some thought to purchasing Buck 65's new CD Situation too. I really liked Talkin' Honky Blues and Synesthesia back when they came out, and though rap never really appeals to me, the artsy kind of hip hop that he does I quite enjoy. Anyone (I'm assuming a fellow Canadian here, as he's not so well known outside our borders) pick it up and have a recommendation?

I've got the wombats on repeat in the luisterpaal. Listen to it! You'll like it very much

Yeah that's pretty good actually :tup:

Recently I've been listening to old stuff from The Verve, since they're back together, as well as the new Dillinger Escape Plan album, which is really, really good too.

I've got the wombats on repeat in the luisterpaal. Listen to it! You'll like it very much

Nice recommendation. I like it. Unashamed Brit-pop with a bit of the lyrical wordplay of The Decemberists and a hearty helping of self-deprecation.

Dang, it's $25 on amazon to import it to the states. Tempting, though this season has been hell on my wallet.

This line really set up my expectations for the album:

So with the angst of a teenage band

Here's another song about a gender I'll never understand

Oh boy I really love the luisterpaal now! They've got the latest daft punk album for your listening pleasure online! :)

Daft Punk - alive 2007

It's brimfull of superb remixes of all your favorite daft punk songs! gleeee! :clap::woohoo::clap::woohoo::tup: :tup: :tup:

I second Miffy recommendation of Buck 65, the 'This right here is Buck 65' album is a more acoustic take on a lot of his stuff. Track 7 'Out of Focus' is very touching.

Not for everyone but Romperprop was introduced to me by a friend and it is the best example of metal bands not taking themselves too seriously but being brutally heavy at the same time.

Also listening to random Orbital and it makes me feel very cheery along side Vitalic 'Ok Cowboy' which helps me write bugs at work.

Finally tunage, which I highly recommend is the sound track to 'Phantom Dust' there are some really good instrumental tracks mixing modern electronica and classical themes.

I highly recommend the sound track to 'Phantom Dust' there are some really good instrumental tracks mixing modern electronica and classical themes.

I'm secretly hoping that MS decide to finally see sense and release Phantom Dust outside of Japan and the US, via their new Xbox Classics service on Live.

Speaking of game OSTs, I just acquired the Mass Effect soundtrack and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. :tup:

(Could do without that credits song, though)

Speaking of speaking of game OST's, I've been listening to the Phoenix Wright Meets Orchestra soundtrack. Godot's theme is amazing, and the court suites are *epic*.

If you like orchestral Video game soundtracks, also try to track down "Smashing...Live!", the orchestral version of the Super Smash Bros. Melee soundtrack.

I've been trying to find a copy of Yuzo Koshiro's remastered Bare Knucke II soundtrack, released in 2000, with little success. :hmph:

I've been spamming my various online hang-outs with this link all morning, so apologies if you've seen it at least once somewhere else already (probably Facebook at least). Anyway, it's important:

This week's RA podcast is a rare and exclusive DJ set from electronic gents, Underworld.

If you have even a remote interest in Electronic music, I suggest you download the latest RA podcast immediately as they don't stay on the site for long.