Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Flappy Girthday!

ha, rofl. that's dusgusting. you have also given me an idea to escape the inevitable lara croft halloween costume. wrestlevania, you are my new favourite person.

I had forgotten about that part, though. I wonder why...

Forgotten, or actively tried to excise from your memories?

ha, rofl. that's dusgusting. you have also given me an idea to escape the inevitable lara croft halloween costume.

By submitting this information have entered into a contract of obligation to post photographic evidence such commitment was executed on the due date (or thereabouts). This is non-negotiable and cannot be waivered.

wrestlevania, you are my new favourite person.

Hurray! 1 down, the rest of the world to go...

ha, no, that doesn't need to happen! i've decided that this year i'm gonna paint myself yellow, wear a bow on my head, fake mole and eyelashes and be ms pacman. unless anyone can think of something a bit more cool...not princess peach.

ha, no, that doesn't need to happen! i've decided that this year i'm gonna paint myself yellow, wear a bow on my head, fake mole and eyelashes and be ms pacman. unless anyone can think of something a bit more cool...not princess peach.

Does that mean you... won't be wearing any clothes? :eyebrow:

Hey, I wasn't making any :innocent:s. I was just making an observation. Ms. Pac-Man ONLY wears a bow. I was just curious to the authenticity of her costume.

As to the original topic: I, too, am listening to War Stories. It's pretty good. Just got the "Limited Edition" collectors version. Bad idea. The packaging is nice and all and it comes with an extra disc and an art book. Problem is, it's all packed so tightly into the package that I literally couldn't get it out. I spent over ten minutes trying to pry it out. The thing ripped. I had to get the knife out and cut a hole in it to get at the damn music. God. It was like the ultimate DRM. Next time I'll save the aggravation and just download the thing.

hmmm, your words say no, but your emoti-eyebrows..don't worry i won't tell spaff on you.

yes, that's pretty weird that the name was joanna. in response to the question of the authenticity of my costume, yes i will be wearing (yellow) clothes. ms pacman was also perfectly round and usually 2d, i won't be aiming for total likeness.

Didn't realize you were Finnish before..
I have nothing against Talvikuningas per se, it just appears to me as the latest artsy things everybody suddenly likes because the band has become so popular, while there are still loads of excellent games and albums and book and movies the masses don't dig... like Psychonauts.

I wouldn't call it artsy as such. The music itself is pretty straight rock/heavy. I like the album, though, I think it's CMX's best work.

Apart from the fact that CMX sells extremely well and Psychonauts sells extremely poorly, I think they are actually pretty similar in a way. I mean, if you want anyone to take your further game-related comments or ideas seriously (here on this forum, for example), you'd better not start by saying that you think Psychonauts is crap. Unless you have a really good explanation for that, at least.

I have noticed that, in certain circles at least, the same goes for CMX. If someone says that (s)he thinks the band is absolute crap, (s)he doesn't know what (s)he is talking about or bases his/her view solely on what (s)he has heard on the radio. Or something like that..

In both cases, it is, in a way, assumed that you like or at least respect the game/band, and any differing view should be justified carefully.

Granted, CMX could probably release a very mediocre album (which Talvikuningas, in my opinion, honestly isn't) and people would still praise it, but they have earned their respect too. Maybe someday Doublefine will become as big and respected as well, and they can release anything they like and people will still buy it.

I agree with brkl. It's much less artsy than most CMX albums I have heard.

Then again maybe I just don't like heavy in general. Whatever. Meh. :broken:

If somebody thinks some album X which "everybody else" enjoys is crap, fine with me. I myself am not quite partial to Pink Foyd, but apparently Wish you were here is a fantastic record. Some say Sigur Ros is awesome - their music is too minimalistic to my tastes, but still somewhat enjoyable sometimes (still not awesome). I like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, but I think most of you would regard it as noise.

I can, generally, understand why somebody would like or dislike an album or a band I like. Of course anyone voicing their opinion in a simplified "X is crap"-manner sounds rather stupid, but I find the folks who reply to such posts with "u are such a loser" or something equally stupid.

I know it's a good habit not to jump to any conclusions or to try to form strong opinions without substantial research, and I try to do so myself, and so I try to give CMX the benefit of doubt as I have only heard very little of their music. But I do have a hunch that they aren't exactly making my kind of music, and I have no intentions to probe further into what they have recorded. (The Talvikuningas-trailer made me feel physically ill). But still, I think it's OK to have expectations and preassumptions, negative or positive, afterall we are human, it's part of us.

Just to make sure, I don't think anyone should feel forced to like any band (or a game) or even have to explain why he/she doesn't. Previously mentioned was just something I had noticed.

I think the trailer for Talvikuningas was absolutely horrible, btw. It felt really naive compared to the actual album.

I've been thinking of buying the download, but the site doesn't say which format they use. Could you enlight me?

I listened to Radiohead's latest for a few times as well. I dunno... it wasn't what I expected. It was quite minimalistic. :shifty: And I still prefer buying records IRL to downloading them.

MP3..?

Ick :( I guess I'll still buy it, but it won't be worth as much to me that way.

Radiohead are using the donate-whatever-you-think-it's-worth-to-you model though, so if you want to get the MP3s for less than a CD I believe you can.

Radiohead are using the donate-whatever-you-think-it's-worth-to-you model though, so if you want to get the MP3s for less than a CD I believe you can.

It's just a cheap marketing ploy. I believe those mp3s are 160kbps (:tdown: ) and they've said that when the CD comes out it will include tracks that aren't available in the download. It's just to make money until the proper BIG LABEL release is out the door and a means to mitigate any advance leaks. It's not as big of a revolution as some people make it out to be.

Save your money for the proper album.

As for the album, it's :tmeh:

Since I've got roughly 11 weeks 4 days 19 hours 16 minutes and 43 seconds worth of MP3's in my playlist it's quite a wild selection I get dished out by shuffle play. But other than that here's some recent albums I really like:

I totally love in rainbows. But that might be because I got pretty late on the radiohead boat. :tup: :tup: :tup:

Unkle - war stories is more than excelent :tup: :tup: :tup:

Underworld has released a new CD aswell: Oblivion with Bells. And it's good. Really mellow and minimalistic. Perfect for a sunday autumn afternoon sitting in the sun while reading a book. :tup: :tup:

For a compilation album 'Modular: leave them all behind 2' is a nice collection of popular music you'll most likely hear on a good evening out. Worth checking out if you're into that kind of stuff :)

PS. Wrestlevania: You're not alone in your progressive house love here. I love me some good progressive every now & then!

[edit]

How could I forget the awesome portal soundtrack?! Great ambient music plus the best end credits song ever created!

Underworld has released a new CD aswell: Oblivion with Bells. And it's good. Really mellow and minimalistic. Perfect for a sunday autumn afternoon sitting in the sun while reading a book. :tup: :tup:

Yeah. It's pretty good. The first few songs are especially ace, though it gets a little weaker in the rest of the album.

I've been really liking "Somatik - Learning The Colours" lately. Very very good album. Also, the more I listen to it the more I think "Kilimajaro Darkjazz Ensemble" is one of the best albums of last year. I guess I've been in a bit of a jazzy/jazz-fusion kind of mood because of it.

Also: new Venetian Snares! Can-Con represent.

But yes, listen to Kilimajaro Darkjazz Ensemble. It's fantastic.