Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Seeing as the movie/TV thread kicks arse (and, indeed, is still kicking it) I'd like to propose a musical accompaniment.

So, I'll go first: currently I have UNKLE's War Stories in very heavy rotation. If you watched the new series of Top Gear on Sunday night, they used 3 tracks from that album for one segment alone.

Little obvious electronica, plenty of grungy instrumentation and some great lyrics--it's fucking brilliant! :tup:

I very rarely listen to anything you can dance to :P Also, my taste in music not something I want to force on anyone.

I very rarely listen to anything you can dance to :P

THIS IS NOT ABOUT DANCE MUSIC. You're taking the thread title too literally! :(

Also, my taste in music not something I want to force on anyone.

Oh quit making excuses and post, you pansy.

I've never met another person in meatspace who loves the particular genre of music I favour most (i.e. Progressive House). And Marek's the only not-real person I've met who likes it, whom I've gotten to know beyond simple blog comments about same.

So come one, come all. What music are you listening to a lot at the moment? And don't fart out some nondescript allusion to a particular genre--we need artist names and albums, damnit!

Another example: I'm listening to Editors a lot at the moment too, both their The Backroom and An End Has a Start albums in fairly equal measure. :yep:

I'm on a Don Henley kick at the moment. Listening to Inside Job and his 1995 greatest hits CD* - Actual Miles.

I'm looking forward to the new Eagles CD* too.

*I still want to call them albums. I'm showing my age.

THIS SEASON I HAVE MOSTLY BEEN BUYING KING CRIMSON LIVE RECORDINGS

So that's about a dozen albums. Also, I just ordered Stick Man by King Crimson's bass player Tony Levin and Pole by Tuner which features King Crimson's drummer Pat Mastelotto. Not too long ago I bought KTU's 8 Armed Monkey, a fantastic collaboration with King Crimson's former bass player Trey Gunn, the aforementioned Pat Mastelotto and the Finnish accordion virtuoso Kimmo Pohjonen.

So there!

Also, some other stuff not worth mentioning.

I've been listening to the album Silent Steeples by Dispatch a lot recently. They went through some different styles, but are mostly a folk rock band with occasional reggae/hip-hop/tribal/classical influences. Damn fun to listen to.

I've never met another person in meatspace who loves the particular genre of music I favour most (i.e. Progressive House). And Marek's the only not-real person I've met who likes it, whom I've gotten to know beyond simple blog comments about same.
Hey, fun fact. You know who else is into progressive house? American McGee. A long time ago he gave me access to his private FTP with proghouse mixes which is really nice of him. Also a buddy of his runs Proton Radio apparently.

On another topic, if anyone knows good latin music other than Buena Vista Social Club, Ibrahim Ferrer, or that Rhythm Del Mundo cover CD, please let me know. I need some for salsa and merengue practice. :tup:

Hey, fun fact. You know who else is into progressive house? American McGee. A long time ago he gave me access to his private FTP with proghouse mixes which is really nice of him.

Strong feeling of deja vu. Did you mention this somewhere before?

EDIT: Ok, it was you.

Listening to an Icelandic band called Trabant. Alternative Rock? Don't really know how to categorize it.. But I definitely recommend it.

The Extra Action Marching Band have been making me happier. Imagine an aggressive, bisexual marching band with a hint of mariachi and you're just about there. It's like a happy counterpart to death metal. They have cheerleaders with fake moustaches and blacked out mouths. There are some samples up on the site, but the CD is way better produced, much more percussive and intense.

Body Riddle by Clarke has also been in my playlists for months now. Herr Bar and Herzog are near the top of my favorite tracks at the moment.

On another topic, if anyone knows good latin music other than Buena Vista Social Club, Ibrahim Ferrer, or that Rhythm Del Mundo cover CD, please let me know. I need some for salsa and merengue practice. :tup:

A colleague at work is very much into this style of music; I'll try to remember to ask her tomorrow if she's in the office.

I liked UNKLE's War Stories. Plus, the video for Rabbit in Your Headlights (which has nothing to do with this particular album, I know) is probably the second best music video that I have seen.

Other highlights this year have been Queens of the Stone Age's Era Vulgaris. Although, it isn't quite as good as The Songs for the Deaf (which was absolutely brilliant, in my opinion) there are still many great songs on this album. The song Restless from War Stories is actually performed by QotSA's lead singer Josh(ua) Homme, btw. And he seems to be working on new Desert Sessions material as well. Yay!

The White Stripes' Icky Thump is also an excellent album. I like it when I (think I can) hear that the artists genuinely enjoy what they are doing. Even if that meant that there are bagpipes on the album.

Grinderman by Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Martyn P. Casey, and Jim Sclavunos is very interesting album (and a band). Their sound is very raw and unpolished and the lyrics are less poetic compared to "recent" Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums. I'm still waiting for new Bad Seeds material, but truly enjoy this album as well.

Lately I have been listening to Finnish progressive rock band called CMX (which comes from Cloaca Maxima). Formed in 1985, CMX originally played punk, but as the years passed the became more and more mainstream. That doesn't mean their style changed that dramatically, they just became ridiculously popular (they even won 'The Best Band in the World' vote in a Finnish music magazine) and therefore mainstream whether they liked it or not. I don't know if that actually has anything to do with this, but a while ago they released a limited (8000 copies) progressive one-song sci-fi theme album called Talvikuningas, or Winter King, with the price of little under 40 euros. Not sure if many other Finnish bands would have gotten away with it. Nevertheless, the album sold out immediately and got praise from critics.

CMX's lyrics have been described as both "brilliant" and "shit", but not that often "ok". That is to say, they are an integral part of CMX. The science fiction imaginary on the new album is probably a little too much for some, but I find it kind of refreshing (and I don't like science fiction at all btw). Here's a little translated example:

My grave is guarded by a slight breeze of wind,

My grave is guarded by a drop of morning dew,

My grave is guarded by 100,000 killer satellites,

My grave is guarded by a teraton of anti-matter.

And yes, It sounds just as strange in Finnish, though a bit better music-wise.

If anyone mentions Talvikuningas again in an everyday discussion I will commit bukkake. I mean, seppuku.

I've been listening to lots of Tori Amos recently, Boys for Pele is a really interesting album. Other than that, lot's of classical. Ligeti, for example.

BTW, I bought a metronome which had been used in a performance of this piece.

For whatever reason, the last couple of weeks I felt like listening to the stuff that I listened to in elementary school. Fortunately for me I went straight from Raffi into Green Day around age 4, so it's still good music. This means that the last little while has been all about Weezer, Green Day, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dead Kennedys, etc. When not listening to the punk, grunge, and rock of my elementary school and junior high years, I'm usually listening to things like Tom Waits, The Robot Ate Me, Hot Little Rocket, and Run Chico Run.

As a last thing, if you're into spoken word-ish stuff, The Fugitives and Tons of Fun University (T.O.F.U.) are both really good. T.O.F.U. has a lot of pure spoken word stuff, while the Fugitives tend to have more musical backing, but I'm quite into both.

My music tastes are extremely lagging behind anything that's hip now, so my contributions are wholly not in tune with the currents of society. But what the heck. I'm listening non-stop to Chris Cornell's You Know My Name, and then sing it out loud when I lie in my bed trying to sleep but can't.

Strong feeling of deja vu. Did you mention this somewhere before? ...Or is he a whore?

EDIT: Ok, it was you.

Haha whoops I thought I'd never told that before. :fart:

its my birthday, so i have fiddy stuck in my head all day long.

normally i have been mostly listening to:justice (playing in dublin in a few months!) MIA, new young pony club, fight like apes (my best friends band plugplugplug), and mylo - gym music. i like stuff that makes me want to run instead of walk.

Birthday Happy.

I've been listening to the Rez soundtrack on repeat for about three years. At the moment I hear Money Mark's Keyboard Repair when i'm on the train and my mp3 player isn't crapping out.

Bappy Hirthday.

normally i have been mostly listening to:justice

Forgot about them, they're excellent. "†" gets played at least once a week at work and a lot at home.

Happy Birthday!

Wrestlevania, that's the worst Doom-related Halloween costume I have ever seen.

Wrestlevania, that's the worst Doom-related Halloween costume I have ever seen.

...are you saying you've not watched the latest (banned) episode of Consolevania in all it's glory?

Anyway: back to the music and Earthbays...

I watched it some time ago. I had forgotten about that part, though. I wonder why..

I thought you tried to look like this.