Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

What did you think of his new record? For me,

might be the best thing he's ever done but on the whole I found it pretty disappointing. Really dug the last one and the accompanying EP.

Danceable AND the title is a reference to a really good movie! Sign me up!

This whole album is pretty great, and songs like the War on Women have a pretty nice message ("The war on women is over if you won it" etc).

What did you think of his new record? For me,

might be the best thing he's ever done but on the whole I found it pretty disappointing. Really dug the last one and the accompanying EP.

Their new album was actually my first intro to Ducktails and I enjoyed. 

I think the album really picks up after the Interlude, I found those songs to be quite catchy and leaving me with smile on my face. And I danced to Medieval quite a bit too.

In other song news:

Can't stop dancing. Won't stop.

I think the album really picks up after the Interlude, I found those songs to be quite catchy and leaving me with smile on my face. And I danced to Medieval quite a bit too.

Fair enough. I've only listened to it maybe a handful of time so far so maybe it'll hook me in the end - could well be guilty of letting expectations cloud my judgement. Definitely recommend going back through his older material. The last LP The Flower Lane marked a turn towards more lavishly produced conventional whereas his older stuff is more ambient, atmospheric experiments and jams, most of it recorded on crackly old tape machines and stuff. Landscapes is probably my fav. (Here's a cool

)

Don't know if you know Julia Holter - she's backing vocalist who pops up on a number of the tracks - but this song from her new record's been stuck in my head for a while now. Ever since falling hard for Weezer's blue album in high school, pretty much anything with dramatic slow-build drum crescendos gives me goosebumps. Also features a sick sax solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERixQR-hxY (How do you embed these things?)

The Suffers are hands down my favorite new band. And they're from Houston! They were recently featured on NPR's Tiny Desk show. :D

Fair enough. I've only listened to it maybe a handful of time so far so maybe it'll hook me in the end - could well be guilty of letting expectations cloud my judgement. Definitely recommend going back through his older material. The last LP The Flower Lane marked a turn towards more lavishly produced conventional whereas his older stuff is more ambient, atmospheric experiments and jams, most of it recorded on crackly old tape machines and stuff. Landscapes is probably my fav. (Here's a cool

)

Don't know if you know Julia Holter - she's backing vocalist who pops up on a number of the tracks - but this song from her new record's been stuck in my head for a while now. Ever since falling hard for Weezer's blue album in high school, pretty much anything with dramatic slow-build drum crescendos gives me goosebumps. Also features a sick sax solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERixQR-hxY (How do you embed these things?)

Thanks for that.

And I have. I'm in love with her new album.

Can someone give me a crash course in Riot GRRL music? That would be great. TY.

I can't stomach the wait for the next Haim, Warpaint, and Savages albums.

Can someone give me a crash course in Riot GRRL music? That would be great. TY.

I can't stomach the wait for the next Haim, Warpaint, and Savages albums.

Sure!

PREHISTORY:

The Runaways - The Runaways

Patti Smith - Horses

Blondie - Blondie

X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

Bags - All Bagged Up: The Collected Works

FOUNDATIONAL:

Bikini Kill - The CD Version of the First Two Records

Bikini Kill - Pussy Whipped

Sleater Kinney - Sleater Kinney

Sleater Kinney - Call the Doctor

Heavens to Betsy - Calculated

Slant 6 - Soda Pop-Rip Off

Autoclave - Autoclave

Team Dresch - Personal Best

ADVANCED:

Le Tigre - Le Tigre

Le Tigre - Feminist Sweepstakes

Sleater Kinney - The Woods

Chicks on Speed - Chicks on Speed Will Save Us All

Gossip - Music For Men

Lizzo - Lizzobangers

If you are only going with one of each category, I'd listen to The Runaways, The C.D. Version of the First Two Records and the Le Tigre self-titled to get a good arc.

For prehistory you need to add:

The Slits - Cut

Au Pairs - Playing with a Different Sex

The Raincoats - S/T

Delta 5 - Singles & Sessions

Liliput - S/T

Essential Logic - Beat Rhythm News

For prehistory you need to add:

The Slits - Cut

Au Pairs - Playing with a Different Sex

The Raincoats - S/T

Delta 5 - Singles & Sessions

Liliput - S/T

Essential Logic - Beat Rhythm News

Hey thanks! I'm on break so I have the time to dig into most/if not all but I'll start with The Runaways, Bikini Kill, and Le Tigre :)

Saw Ghost yesterday. Their live performances are hilarious and awesome. You should go see them.