Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I finally listened to a Nicki Minaj album (The Pinkprint) through for the first time and dug it. Definitely not what I expected, since I've only been exposed to her Top 40 pop stuff like Starships and Super Bass, which I still really don't like. It definitely feels like a proper capital-A Album rather than a bunch of singles and some filler.

Also when I was about half way through it, Danielle linked this neat GQ article about Nicki that probably increased my enjoyment of the back half of the album.

I went to an Incubus concert tonight. My second ever concert with my first being Radiohead a few years ago. It was pretty incredible and reaffirmed why Incubus is my favorite band. I wish they'd get back into the swing of things and put out a new album or two.

I saw Incubus a week or so ago playing with Deftones and Death From Above 1979. I went 80% for Deftones, but the other 20% was Incubus. I really like them, I just haven't listened to them in a really long time and after seeing them I have no idea why cause they're great.

I saw Incubus a week or so ago playing with Deftones and Death From Above 1979. I went 80% for Deftones, but the other 20% was Incubus. I really like them, I just haven't listened to them in a really long time and after seeing them I have no idea why cause they're great.

Unfortunately, I have not really enjoyed their latest stuff all that much so you might not be missing a whole lot (but I still want more in the hopes that they pull it back together). But they have such a deep catalog of great songs that I still regularly go back and give them a fresh listen. S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Make Yourself, Morning View Sessions, and A Crow Left of the Murder were all incredibly solid albums for me. Brandon Boyd's vocals are top notch.

My girlfriend has convinced herself that she's the only person still listening to "Call Me Maybe" as part of her waking up playlist in 2015. She'll be glad to know there are others out there who are into Jepsen. As for me, I have never seen that video before and Tom Hanks made me very happy.

I feel like the really like you video doesn't make enough of its premise? Unless it's a joke about some hanks/jepsen relationship or mutual fandom I don't know about?

I like "Run Away with Me" from that album, it's dreamy

I have been obsessed with the song "Pop It" by Herman Brood and His Wild Romance for about 4 months now. It sounds like some amazing lost Lou Reed song, except I don't think he ever got quite this lively.

Sadly the only place on the entire internet you can listen to the studio version is by streaming this archived episode of a WFMU radio show from 2009. Thankfully it's the very first song you hear.

Coheed and Cambria is the only band that listening to makes me want to go over and listen to all their work again.  A note about the video, there are some strobe effects if that kind of thing affects you at all.

I find it so strange that this musical subculture has arisen using the aesthetic of things I find extremely nostalgic (90s anime, Playstation and Dreamcast, even old versions of Windows and Macintosh), and yet I find it completely alien and impenetrable. Like, that doesn't reflect the quality of the music, I actually quite like some of it, but something about the presentation is so hard to grasp. I guess I just don't understand the why of it.

It's a rare thing to find prog rock these days that can be weird and experimental without being completely self-indulgent. This album fuckin nails it. It's just so goddamn fun.

I find it so strange that this musical subculture has arisen using the aesthetic of things I find extremely nostalgic (90s anime, Playstation and Dreamcast, even old versions of Windows and Macintosh), and yet I find it completely alien and impenetrable. Like, that doesn't reflect the quality of the music, I actually quite like some of it, but something about the presentation is so hard to grasp. I guess I just don't understand the why of it.

That's understandable.

I love it because it's eclectic, choatic, noisy and busy. Also, growing up I was part of an online sub-culture that was nerdy--big into anime and everything else you listed--but wanted to strive our nerdy factor to have a "cool" and "artsy" and "punk". I think that's because we all came from different backgrounds.

I was really into hardcore punk, noise, and black metal, so that reflected in my nerdy interests. Where there was a feeling of transgressive and occult like presentation to the material; kinda like what you saw in that video.

I like that song but had no idea who it was by, it just came up on autoplay sometimes.The video reminded me of this (nsfw):