Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

The new Sufjan Stevens record is so good I would listen to it all day if it wouldn't devastate me so much emotionally...it didn't so at first listening, but on repeat listens it did. It helps to read the lyrics along with it.

Since it isn't officially out yet (it leaked) I'll link to the second pre-release single. Not my favorite from the album, but it's very good, too.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of my favorite records of 2015. I keep seeing this as alternate track from the soundtrack to To Live in Die in LA.

Saw Moon Hooch a couple days ago, seeing them again tonight. A couple days ago they were in Oakland, then they announced they're going to be playing in Santa Cruz for free so I'm pretty stoked since they were really good.

Some kickass electronica, got a bit of a Boards of Canada sound going on

Every year NPR does the Austin 100 including 100 free songs to download from 100 artists performing at SXSW

http://apps.npr.org/austin/

I don't know if this will work outside the US, but you are able to click through to the article where you can for now download the zip file with all the songs in it.

Everyone is bound to find something that you like.  So far Hinds - Bamboo is my favorite, but that's bound to change.

Newest episode of NPR's pop culture happy hour talked about SXSW and they mentioned a belgian singer Stromae that I've came across on a random best of 2014 song list on slate

These would be my top three from his most recent album which I am back to listening as my default I want some music to listen to rather than a podcast while reading.

This a song from his first album I remember hearing the english version of a couple of years ago

Also sticking with french. Kenny arkana.

and on the pop side in Indila

Every year Calgary's indie music festival has a different guest curator. Last year, Kathleen Hanna put together a great show, the year before it was Pavement. This year, Godspeed You! Black Emperor is curating, but I know nothing about them. What should I expect?

Karol Conka's a Brazilian hip-hop artist and rapper, and I've been listening to her Batuk Freak album a lot (apologies if it's been posted before):

Every year Calgary's indie music festival has a different guest curator. Last year, Kathleen Hanna put together a great show, the year before it was Pavement. This year, Godspeed You! Black Emperor is curating, but I know nothing about them. What should I expect?

It's always hard to tell curated things, I used to try and guess who would be in the lineup for Meltdown based on who was directing it that year and was usually wrong. Godspeed has a lot of members with a lot of different backgrounds so it'll probably be pretty eclectic, which is good for a festival. Other than that I have no idea what to expect.

I wasn't really sure I'd end up liking this album as a first time K Lamar listener but out of everything I've heard of late this is the album I keep going back to.

A bit random but I'm trying to do something nice for my girlfriend as a gift - She posts and designs art for 8tracks mixes (incidentally where I get all my new music from, seriously check it out)

I thought recommending her stuff to the lovely music listeners on the forums would be good, and I know she'd really appreciate it if people commented or even just listened to anything she's done - http://8tracks.com/mvstery/  

Keep up the music reccomendations, love em!

I wasn't really sure I'd end up liking this album as a first time K Lamar listener but out of everything I've heard of late this is the album I keep going back to.

Yes!  It's a great album.  The live instrumentation throughout threw me a bit at first, but it didn't take long for that to wear off.  I keep on coming back to the combo of "u" and "Alright".  (record label is good at taking down youtubes of this stuff so apologies for no linking).