Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Great review, hits the nail in the head of some of the insidious contradictions Killer Mike and El-P often display in their music. However, I feel this reviewer seriously misread Love Again. First off, ignoring how, despite it's crudeness, it's very sex-positive and consensual in terms of how they talk about sex, an improvement from RTJ1's "Twin Hype", a half-baked pseudo-satire of creepy and overbearing men who think they're hot shit.  Second, ignoring how the chorus change during Gangsta Boo's verse isn't just a shift from "dicks" to  "clits", but how how the shifted verse acts is a lot more angrier, much more intense. Killer Mike's braggadocios "HEY" turns to a whimpy "Hey...hey...hey..." that you can barely hear over Ganga Boo's lines and the louder instrumental. She takes control over the song, it becomes hers. She plays off of lines El-P and Killer Mike say, showing that she's the big boss around here, that these guys, as she puts it, can't handle her "realness". It's monumentous as it is raunchy as fuck. It's a song about sex in a new era where people are getting more confident, open, and consensual with their relations. I'd even say it's one of their best songs yet.

Other than that, I find this review extremely welcome and thoughtful. Personally, I feel RTJ2 is the duo at their most "performative" as the reviewer would say, and toit's conscious enough of its own 80s action-movie macho bravado that it feels more endearing than overbearing. Thanks for the share, though!

Also, Noname Gypsy is the best and you should pay attention to her because goddamn just listen.

Just saw Cursive live, I've seen them before, but this time they had a cellist with them and played the entire Ugly Organ. It was really good. It's weird that that album is 12 years old now.

This guy is a really great guitarist with a really playful style. He's showy but he doesn't take the virtuoso thing to boring excess.

Wow that's really nice! Reminds me slightly of what I like about Opeth.

Liking this a bunch.

I need some background music. I recently got a new audio setup, and now I can listen to music while I'm in the kitchen working on supper, but I've run into the problem that most of my music is ill-suited to having bits of it randomly drowned out by occasional kitchen noise. I've found that videogаme music is pretty good for this, since it's basically designed for not being heard in full, but I'm looking to expand my catalogue. Does anyone have recommendations for something to put on in the background?

That largely depends what you're into! Here's a few general recommendations.

https://theflashbulb.bandcamp.com/album/soundtrack-to-a-vacant-life

https://caspiantheband.bandcamp.com/album/waking-season

http://shop.hammockmusic.com/album/chasing-after-shadows-living-with-the-ghosts

And since you mentioned video game music, I'll just link this as I haven't played this game in months and I'm still listening to this.

https://chrischristodoulou.bandcamp.com/album/risk-of-rain

Here's some pretty chilled lyric-less hip hop which makes for good background beats.

https://www.youtube.com/user/beckoningchannel/videos

Bath's first album

would make for good background music. I used to absently minecraft to it a lot. I wouldn't recommend his later albums though because they get really moody.

Mac Demarco's album

is an album that lends itself to easy listening. It mightn't be your thing though.

As for actual video games music the 

soundtrack is a staple.

I'd add Hyper Light Drifter's soundtrack to the list but it's still a while from release.

I need some background music. I recently got a new audio setup, and now I can listen to music while I'm in the kitchen working on supper, but I've run into the problem that most of my music is ill-suited to having bits of it randomly drowned out by occasional kitchen noise. I've found that videogаme music is pretty good for this, since it's basically designed for not being heard in full, but I'm looking to expand my catalogue. Does anyone have recommendations for something to put on in the background?

Menahan Street Band's The Crossing:

It's instrumental soul with some jangly spaghetti westerny bits to it.

or Budos Band's Burnt Offering:

sorta nstrumental funk with some Black Sabbathy bits to it?

edit: look, I'm not a Daptone Records shill, I just really like em ok?

As a huuuuuge Sufjan Stevens fan I'm of course looking forward to his upcoming LP, of which the first song was released recently. It sounds like folky good ol' Sufjan, but the sparse arrangement is highly unusual for him. Just guitar and vocals, oh, and the sounds of an air conditioner. His voice is quivering and somewhat broken. If you know that the catalyst for the album's creation was his mother's death, then the song may hit you even harder emotionally.

I'm also fascinated by him as a person. This interview grants insight into aspects of his life he didn't share much of before. You could say that he gets more immature as he grows older and he somewhat confirms that impression. To quote:

SS: In lieu of [my mother's] death, I felt a desire to be with her, so I felt like abusing drugs and alcohol and fucking around a lot and becoming reckless and hazardous was my way of being intimate with her. But I quickly learned that you don't have to be incarcerated by suffering, and that, in spite of the dysfunctional nature of your family, you are an individual in full possession of your life. I came to realize that I wasn't possessed by her, or incarcerated by her mental illness. We blame our parents for a lot of shit, for better and for worse, but it's symbiotic. Parenthood is a profound sacrifice.

Pitchfork: The sort of rebellion you’re talking about almost sounds like more of a teen-angst sort of thing.

SS: Fun, flirty, and 40! [laughs] I do feel like I'm 40 going on 14 sometimes. I wasn't rebellious as a kid. I was so dignified and well-behaved. But that kind of [destructive] behavior at my age is inexcusable.

I found a band that I think this forum would like purely on the name:

King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard.

Also their music is awesome trippy rock.

So Lady Gaga is one of the few people who can actually sing, like in the classical sense of the word. In the last couple of weeks she proved herself in two ways. First was when she sang "I Wish" at the Stevie Wonder tribute.

And the second was at the Oscars when she sang the Sound of Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqGGYJxVRFI

My favorite part about those is that she doesn't fall into the BS of "making it her own." She sings in the way those songs were meant to be sung, which is what it actually means to pay tribute I think. So good on her. She's always fascinated me because of her technical know-how with music. It's pretty uncommon, maybe even rare. That said, I actually only like a couple of her songs. If she sprang out into other genres though I'd probably spin on a dime and be a big fan.

That said, I actually only like a couple of her songs. If she sprang out into other genres though I'd probably spin on a dime and be a big fan.

She's done some work with Tony Bennett singing someone of the standards. If you haven't listened to them before, you should try them out!

Liking this a bunch.

[snip]

Ibeyi video

[/snip]

Just got done listening to this album for the first time and I really dig it! Nice, cool, relaxed and original. Definitely getting a few more plays

I loved the Microphones as a teen.  Fell out of love once he switched the project over to Mount Eerie.  Just didn't follow it.  10 years later and I'm madly in love with his music again and now have 5 albums to catch up on.

It's all in the vein of single-person recording-studio-project folk/drone/noise stuff.  Really simple beautiful melodies and lyrics; mostly existential, very naturalistic take on things.  My favorite track from the new album, Sauna, relates a solitary walk into town and the stories we sometimes tell ourselves:

Every year NPR does the Austin 100 including 100 free songs to download from 100 artists performing at SXSW

http://apps.npr.org/austin/

I don't know if this will work outside the US, but you are able to click through to the article where you can for now download the zip file with all the songs in it.

Everyone is bound to find something that you like.  So far Hinds - Bamboo is my favorite, but that's bound to change.