Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Last week I got really into Donker Mag, as I only discovered Die Antwoord through the Chappie trailer (I think I had only seen Pitbull Terrier once before).

PS. Can a machine be zef?

Man. Chance the Rapper is my favorite & his Acid Rap mixtape is still my go to thing to listen to in the car.

Thanks for sharing.

Richard D. James (AFX/Aphex Twin) recently uploaded 112 old unreleased tracks to SoundCloud and made them downloadable (A full archive is here if you don't want to download 112 individual files). My interest in Syro, the album he released last year, kind of dropped off a cliff after the first listening, but these tracks are much more exciting. I've probably only listened to 10% of them so far, but my favourites are 35 Japan, 28 Organ and luke vibert spiral staircase [future music competition] [afx remix].

I'd like to introduce folks to one of my favourite bands, Psapp. Say hi, Psapp!

I like Psapp a lot! 'The Only Thing I Ever Wanted' was always a bit of a favourite of mine. I should listen to their other albums some more.

So someone is out there archiving tons of Vaporwave music: http://vaporwave.me/discover

What a weird thing.

Awesome! The only Vaporwave I've really listened to is Chuck Person's Eccojams, and Oneohtrix Point Never, which is the same guy. I got kind of obsessed with Eccojams for a while, with this being the obvious standout:

Richard D. James (AFX/Aphex Twin) recently uploaded 112 old unreleased tracks to SoundCloud and made them downloadable (A full archive is here if you don't want to download 112 individual files). My interest in Syro, the album he released last year, kind of dropped off a cliff after the first listening, but these tracks are much more exciting. I've probably only listened to 10% of them so far, but my favourites are 35 Japan, 28 Organ and luke vibert spiral staircase [future music competition] [afx remix].

Thanks for the Aphex recs!  Combing through that list must be pretty intense.  Any thoughts on his newest "official" release?  Love the electro-acoustic aspect of it, but the forms of the tracks come off a bit perfunctory.

Syro warmed up after a few listens.  It's really understated.  I regularly go back to the first three tracks having finished with my regular listens of the album, which is a pretty good percentage of success.

Thanks for Pepe Deluxe guys. Seriously.

I've been lazy with new music the past couple of years, couldn't find any good way to discover new artists. Some of my favorite blogs stopped updating and the alternatives, like Alarm Magazine, were just alright, didn't matched my interests that much. Guess I'll just hang around this thread to see new stuff :)

By the way, I should been sleeping right now, but I couldn't stop listening to this:

I love Sheena Ringo and spent the last hour listening her stuff on YouTube. It's J-Pop, but good J-Pop (to be fair, never listened to J-Pop aside of her, but I believe it's hard to be much better). So good.

B L A C K I E hasn't been mentioned here I think? (Strobe warning for video)

For more relaxing stuff:

Also I've been listening to the Mirror's Edge theme song (Still Alive) a lot lately because I like that too.

Heck yeah, Lisa Miskowsky! :D

I just found a band I used to listen to a bunch when I was a younger:

Exactly the blend between harshness and soft I appreciated so much.

I keep hearing about these guys so I gave this a listen...it was real good.

You should check both their albums out! Also, Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music album and El-P's Cancer 4 Cure album.

(ableist word used in the song and its title, so warning on that. It sucks cuz it's perhaps my fav El-P song)

Couldn't care less about Run The Jewels (Killer Mike and El-P don't play to each other's strengths and are making thoroughly empty music), but Young Thug is so so great. He is such a weird talent and his raps are all over the shop but still manages to cling to the beat. His lines are silly but they twist in your head for days after you listen to them. He has more personality and life in his raps that anyone else out there. 

Old English is great and it survives Fergs bullshit verse.

So I'm a big fan of Late of the Pier and have been hoping for ages there'd be a follow-up to 2008's awesome "Black Fantasy Channel". Doesn't look like this is going to happening any time soon.

There was an unexpected surprise this week when LotP frontman Sam Eastgate aka Samuel Dust re-appeared with a new track under his LA Priest monicker with a new track and the announcement he's signed to Domino Records:

The news got even better when I discovered LotP drummer, Ross Dawson, has also join a new band, Zibra:

I think Ariel Pink's kind of amazing.

I not sure if this song really characterises him (I'd sooner show off 'Jello') but I'm really feeling how Pink Floydy this song comes across as.

Couldn't care less about Run The Jewels (Killer Mike and El-P don't play to each other's strengths and are making thoroughly empty music), but Young Thug is so so great. He is such a weird talent and his raps are all over the shop but still manages to cling to the beat. His lines are silly but they twist in your head for days after you listen to them. He has more personality and life in his raps that anyone else out there. 

Old English is great and it survives Fergs bullshit verse.

What does "thoroughly empty" mean in this context? They aren't exactly subtle in their politics I guess, but it's all over their tracks.

For content:

I've been listening to Screaming Females a lot lately. They've got a new album due out this year I'm pretty sure!

What does "thoroughly empty" mean in this context? They aren't exactly subtle in their politics I guess, but it's all over their tracks.

From a review that I enjoyed:  http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/run-the-jewels-run-the-jewels-2

"... let’s stop to consider that introductory phrase just a little bit more. “I’m finna bang this bitch the fuck out” is the studio-ad-lib-as-locker-room pep talk, a homosocial ritual wherein power is consolidated through denigration of the feminine. It’s an honest presentation of the ways men revel in their physical and social privileges when there aren’t any women around, and as such, it sets the tone not for righteous, radical anger, but for the reinforcement of the status quo."

"Ultimately, my frustration is less with the presence of such violently-gendered phrasing than with its prevalence and the binary system such phrases represent."

"For all the ways that it rightly articulates social justice concerns, RTJ2 refuses to utilize any rhetoric but that of masculinist invective, and the world has enough angry men in it already."

That kind of stuff really bothered me at first, to the point that I almost gave up on the album, but then the individual tracks were so good I guess I forced myself to get over it. That probably makes me a bad person.