Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Out of nowhere Death Grips dropped a 14-track instrumental album last week

The video above is a playlist of the whole album.

I've been enjoying (re-discovering) Nneka's interesting blend of rap, reggae, and rock. There's a lot of variety throughout her tracks, so if the description appeals to you I'd just grab 'Soul is Heavy' and 'To and Fro' off of Spotify (or whatever).

I'm excited for the album release of another Phantasy Sound artist in January - Ghost Culture.

Just to follow-up on this. I received my lovely white vinyl copy of the Ghost Culture album at the weekend. I'm really enjoying it and would recommend checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImYkYzc73s

After many years of ignorance I might finally be on board with Taylor Swift.

Also finally listened to Sia.

I just came across this from 1996 that I had no idea existed

It's the perfect mix of trip hop beats and shoegaze, and that fucking Scorn drum sample, ten seconds in and i'm already starting to get the shivers.

As you can probably tell I love this track, and I expect I will for everything else by Bowery Electric.

I just came across this from 1996 that I had no idea existed

Ooh, that's good. It reminds me a lot of Curve, and sits almost exactly between their early stuff:

and some of their

I have no idea how I ended up listening to them when I was a kid, and they're the only band that's survived as part of my music collection all the way from the early 90's until now. Toni Halliday has an incredible voice. It was a shame the stuff they wrote around their attempted comeback tried so enormously hard at being cool, with some cringeworthy results. I almost wish I'd kept a copy, the email they sent out was trying so hard it put me off buying later albums.

I'd like to introduce folks to one of my favourite bands, Psapp. Say hi, Psapp!

As I'm not a fan of inscrutable sub-genre tags I'd describe them as found sound electronica with a strong lyrical aspect, incorporating a range of traditional instruments. They also have a thing for cats.

This recommendation wasn't spurred by a new release, although they are still active as far as I know; I don't really follow any bands, just check in now and then for pleasant surprises. Hopefully Psapp is one for someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXXirzLbxa0

I can't find the tracks online but I put the descent 2 disk in my car cd player and could listen to the sound track after the game data track! Anyone else try this or am I a lonely uber nerd?

I ask for new music all the time in IRC and someone (I FORGET WHO OH NO) gave me this

And it's the greatest.

Also I've been listening to the Mirror's Edge theme song (Still Alive) a lot lately because I like that too.

I ask for new music all the time in IRC and someone (I FORGET WHO OH NO) gave me this

And it's the greatest.

It was me (or I)!

Yes, Pepe Deluxé is excellent stuff.

My go-to reference for solo loop-based stuff will always be Dosh:

On the subject of songs about damage that make me feel kind of sad, here's Blonde Redhead:

Pretty cool!

That Blonde Redhead song is also one of the coolest bits of Rick and Morty (spoilers).