Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I really love Mr. Oizo and cannot wait for his new album next month:

I really love Mr. Oizo and cannot wait for his new album next month

Nice to see he is still making music. Did anyone see any of the films he made? Rubber was ridiculous and funny.

This is screamingly NSFW (like seriously, you'll get fired unless you work somewhere super cool).  But I think I have a new favorite singer-songwriter. It's nice to see someone writing about the really important things in life.

New earphones and a beautiful, sunny day in Sydney today.

Listened to some Within and Without album by Washed Out, Trans Canada Highway EP by Boards of Canada, some Heaven's Door Soundtrack by Plaid, and some Jesu: Pale Sketches Demixed by Pale Sketcher.

Highlights:

Run The Jewels - Close Your Eyes (And Count To Fuck) [Feat. Zack de la Rocha]

https://soundcloud.com/massappealrecs/close-your-eyes-and-count-to-fuck-feat-zack-de-la-rocha/s-PwPP5

This track is amazing; such a good collaboration! And as good a reason as any to link to this track from El-P's old label-mate Aesop Rock's side project, Hail Mary Mallon:

I'm kind of obsessed with S.Maharba's new EP at the moment. Dirty-sounding electronica with lots of tape/vinyl noise, dreamy melodics, and echo-y sampled vocals.

https://cleaningtapes.bandcamp.com/album/memorial

For Someone (Abandonment) is particularly special.

The new Shellac album is out but it just inspired me to listen to Big Black a bunch so sorry Steve Albini

New earphones and a beautiful, sunny day in Sydney today.

Listened to some Within and Without album by Washed Out, Trans Canada Highway EP by Boards of Canada, some Heaven's Door Soundtrack by Plaid, and some Jesu: Pale Sketches Demixed by Pale Sketcher.

Mmmmm Washed Out is so good. "Good Luck" and "Feel It All Around" by them are great.

I've been binging on French Music lately:

Since having played Carmen with an old orchestra, I've always loved this tune, and I found Stromae's treatment pretty cool:

God, if FKA Twigs doesn't win the Mercury prize then there is no justice in this world.

Listened to dälek again after a long time of not playing them. It's so hard to pick a single track of theirs to showcase, all of them are the best. I'll just go with the first track on the first album of theirs I heard.

Their other stuff is more noise / industrial / shoe-gaze / Ravi Shankar influenced.

OK GO has released another music video and it's amazing:

Somehow they always out-do themselves every time they release a music video, and this is no exception. The choreography alone must be insane, especially at the end. And how the hell did they do that in one shot? I assumed it was on a crane until the end. Turns out they had a setup like this:

10689880_10152346155480683_9073556542075

Which is even more insane, as I didn't even notice the copter detach from the roller. Madness!

Also the song is really good. Their new album is really good.

Also also, is it just me, or are the band members like 3 Science teachers and one cool kid?

OK GO has released another music video and it's amazing:

I was thinking about them the other day, I've never listened to any of their stuff other than that one with the treadmills and sort of assumed they were a one hit wonder. Guess I was clearly wrong! That video is awesome.

FYI this Arca guy was the main producer for FKA Twigs' EP 2 as well as several songs from Yeezus.

New music video for 'Flying Lotus - Ready Err' Not from his latest album. The video was made by the Salad Fingers guy so yeah, it's pretty weird: