Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

You'll probably like Mr. B The Gentleman Rhymer then Twig. He calls his music 'chap hop' and it's basically rap done in a terrifically british manner what what.

Also this one's quite good:

Professor elemental is also another person who does it, but he's just not as good in my opinion:

I've heard Mr. B before and do enjoy it! It's quite dumb! It's not as good for straight listening, though. Deltron 3030, Alestorm, Steam Powered Giraffe, Dr. Steel, those are all still really good for just listening to in the background (in my opinion), but Mr. B sorta loses most value when you're not explicitly paying attention to the lyrics.

dunno if anyone's posted it yet, but here's the first song from Aphex Twin's upcoming Syro album

I was at ArcTangent last weekend which was a spectacular math/post rock festival. Some awesome bands I saw:

LITE, probably the highlight of the festival, incredibly tight live math/post/jazz/instrumental rock 

Maybeshewill, One of the bands I was looking forward to seeing the most, very good live despite being absolutely soaked at this point!

Cleft. They describe themselves as turbo prog and I don't disagree, a very cool duo 

Tall Ships, I wasn't expecting much from these guys as they quite frankly looked like an awful indie band, they weren't

100 Onces, Probably the happiest drummer on the planet. Another two piece

Mutiny on Bounty, A really cool math rock band from Luxembourg, reasonably heavy 

Good call with Com Truise! The whole of the Wave 1 EP is awesome! There's some really good stuff coming out of the Ghostly Intl label right now - Shigetto, Tycho, Matthew Dear, Tabacco. I really like Lusine's latest EP (Arterial) as well:

LITE

Aw shit, thanks for the reminder. I got one of their EPs ages back on the strength of one track and haven't checked them out since.

This band was just brought to my attention and I'm severely hooked. Metal outfit with a really distinctive, confident style. They also manage to be pretty versatile without falling into the trap of sounding gimmicky or unfocused like a lot of other prog outfits, which I love.

Here's something sweet

and something harsh

New Mastodon record was a bit of a let-down. Only two songs I like at all.

The upside is that it made me look up music I like to compensate this:

New Mastodon record was a bit of a let-down. Only two songs I like at all.

I thought I wasn't going to like it because I didn't like the first song they released (High Road) , but I actually ended up really liking it. I think every other song is really good, whereas with The Hunter I was super hit or miss.

La Lupe has become my favourite dead artist lately. It's amazing how much energy her recordings have, almost feels like I was listening to a live performance.

La Lupe has become my favourite dead artist lately. It's amazing how much energy her recordings have, almost feels like I was listening to a live performance.

That's how I feel about Lhasa de Sela, who is unfortunately also dead. Not so much because of the energy in her case but just the passion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_N_FQuSeuo

I'M FUCKING GREAT AT RAPPIIIIIIIIIING.

This video has so many moments perfect for gifs, it's amazing. It's overall perfect.

Good call with Com Truise! The whole of the Wave 1 EP is awesome! There's some really good stuff coming out of the Ghostly Intl label right now - Shigetto, Tycho, Matthew Dear, Tabacco. I really like Lusine's latest EP (Arterial) as well:

They're so good!

The Hohokum Soundtrack is a pretty good Ghostly sampler in itself:

Buy from Ghostly: http://www.theghostlystore.com/collections/frontpage/products/hohokum-soundtrack?utm_source=ghostlycom&utm_medium=buynowlink&utm_campaign=ghostlyproductpage (The MP3 isn't a pre-order, just the physical release).

Stream: http://hypem.com/premiere/hohokum+soundtrack

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/0rRd7rgECB573KGKNVlUun (Ugh, Spotify have boned spotify links).

This album is a perfect album.  It's energetic, intricate, detailed, balanced, perfectly sequenced.  The experimental touches aren't too too, the songs as songs appear just when you need them.  I've never found another album that is so compelling moment to moment as an album.  (the intro track is quiet, so either turn up your speakers, or give it a moment)

To sum it up more succinctly:  experimental british pseudo-prog post-punk recorded in the mid-late '70s.  This Heat [eponymous]

The final track is sooooo forboding.  The amount of dread oozing from every beat....

New Mastodon record was a bit of a let-down. 

I've been kinda bummed by the last couple records. I thought Crack the Skye was such a masterpiece, kinda sad they didn't explore that direction further.

While I wasn't completely in love with their last album the new (debut?) Mr Twin Sister album is streaming over at P4k, and is pretty incredible. This band put out two super solid EPs as Twin Sister, made the change over to Domino and put out a cool, but disappointing first LP. The new one is kinda dreamy/thumpy stuff. Really diggin' it.

That 80s beat.

Cute, chill poppy hip hop song. People say this lacks Das Racist's personality, but listening to that beat, and Heems' later rapping, it's clear that this is Das Racist giving us a nice alternative to the usually skeezy, male-centric cutesy love songs on the radio nowadays.

Also I love this line: "These days, we need infinite rest from Infinite Jest..."

The new Death From Above 1979 album is pretty neat:

(not the best song on the album)

Also, new Electric Wizard and Sleep albums coming soon and not that soon, respectively. Happy stoner doom times ahead!

Also, new Electric Wizard and Sleep albums coming soon and not that soon, respectively. Happy stoner doom times ahead!

Oh huh, didn't realized there was a new Sleep album coming! I looked into it and there's a single here http://www.adultswim.com/music/singles-2014/ along with a Mastodon song I haven't heard anywhere. I think Sleep actually played The Clarity when I saw them a couple weeks ago; if you get the chance to catch them on this tour, I highly recommend it. Al Cisneros and Matt Pike both have very...fitting stage presence. By which I mean Cisneros makes for a convincing stoned druid and I'm fairly certain that Pike is some kind of demon.

Oh huh, didn't realized there was a new Sleep album coming! I looked into it and there's a single here http://www.adultswim.com/music/singles-2014/ along with a Mastodon song I haven't heard anywhere. I think Sleep actually played The Clarity when I saw them a couple weeks ago; if you get the chance to catch them on this tour, I highly recommend it. Al Cisneros and Matt Pike both have very...fitting stage presence. By which I mean Cisneros makes for a convincing stoned druid and I'm fairly certain that Pike is some kind of demon.

Yeah, I saw them live when they were in Finland a couple of years ago. You are right about their stage presence too. The gig ended by one of Al Cisneros' effect pedals or whatever breaking down. Matt Pike and Jason Roeder kept playing the same part of the song over and over for 5 minutes or so until it became apparent that they cannot fix the thing and then they just quit. It was sort of amazing and very fitting.

Earth released a new album as well earlier this month. Not my favorite of theirs but it has its moments.