Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Speaking of Grimes...

FYF Fest is this weekend in LA.  

Probably too late to make a difference, but definitely check out Daniel Avery if you want to kill some time between Thundercat & Blood to Spill. Also, there's Tycho in the gap between Todd Terje & Grimes.

I didn't know that Built To Spill was still an act. I've been waiting for a new album for a long time.

Probably too late to make a difference, but definitely check out Daniel Avery if you want to kill some time between Thundercat & Blood to Spill. Also, there's Tycho in the gap between Todd Terje & Grimes.

Oo. Nice! Thanks for the recs.  I'll definitely check them out and give their albums a listen so I'm not going in totally blind (sonic fatigue makes hearing new music at these things so much more of a challenge).

I didn't know that Built To Spill was still an act. I've been waiting for a new album for a long time.

I think they and Slint are just doing nostalgia circuits.  I looked up recent setlists by both bands and they're just playing the old stuff.  BtS's stuff has always veered in the Dad-Rock direction, so I imagine it'll hold up pretty well.  :D

Can we talk about how good's Spoon new album is ?

Also festival time this week-end ! I'm seeing QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys, Portishead (For the first time, looking forward to that), St. Vincent, Blondie, Warpaint, Cloud Nothings... Really looking forward to it despite the horrible price of food and drinks.

A couple of my favourite bands have been in the studio, making the next couple of months pretty promising:

Cult of Luna's "Vertikal" is brilliant - and out now.

The Mire are back in the studio, and are half-way through recording their first full-length. Also for something a little different, you can have a listen to a few tracks from a defunct side project of the vocalist's: Selfish Jeans.

Both fantastic albums! Cult of Luna are one of my favourite bands. Hadn't heard of The Mire before, thanks for that.

Going to shamelessly self-plug here, as there is a chance you may also be into some of the music I make:

While I'm here, I have been really (REALLY) vibing on Jon Hopkins recently. Can anyone recommend some other good driving, ambient electronic music like his album Immunity?

I love Jon Hopkins; got to see him live recently and it was incredible. There's nothing quite like Immunity, but definitely check out his previous album Insides. You might also like Jamie xx:

And you'd probably also like Darkside, which is who I came in here to post about since they just announced their hiatus. Seeing them play was maaaaybe the purest hour and a half of joy I've ever experienced?? What a dork. Definitely a different flavour, but still very much ambient and electronic:

Does anyone here know if the bit starting at around 2:25 in Pueblo Nuevo (from Buena Vista Social Club) is "quoting" some other song?

I assure you it is not. And I'm happy someone who is not me linked a Latin American song (in this case, Cuban).

My favorite song from the documentary/album:

And here's some more Mike Jenkins. Real happy I discovered him. Not only an amazing rapper, but the beats accompanying him are amazing. He's also from Chicago! Chitown, represent. 

And you'd probably also like Darkside, which is who I came in here to post about since they just announced their hiatus. Seeing them play was maaaaybe the purest hour and a half of joy I've ever experienced?? What a dork. Definitely a different flavour, but still very much ambient and electronic:

Damn. Psychic is one of my favorite albums in the past few years. Plus, I would really have liked to see them live.

Nicolas Jaar's Space Is Only Noise is well worth checking out too.

http://youtu.be/0EEtPtsXNkE

So happy to see the love for Darkside!  An old college friend of mine manages them now (as well as a who's who of other hip bands http://www.wearefree.com/  - he puts me to shame with his insane work ethic and ability to succeed in a creative medium).

While I'm here, I have been really (REALLY) vibing on Jon Hopkins recently. Can anyone recommend some other good driving, ambient electronic music like his album Immunity?

Closest record I can think of is Holden's "The Inheritors".  Really awesomely diverse, texturally compelling, and nicely driving.

Burial's latest, "Rival Dealer", has some of his most driving tracks yet (though they're still beautifully edited/broke).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd3Ch53PxBs

Zomby's "With Love" has much harsher tone to it due to his limited sonic palette, but it has some really beautiful moments and is still quite energetic.

Bok Bok's "Your Charizmatic Self" is a classic Night Slug's release.  Really sparse and limited sonic palette, but it's got really fun energy.

------

Also new Aphex Twin coming out on Sept 23!  Curious to see if/how his style has changed since Drukqs.

Nicolas Jaar's Space Is Only Noise is well worth checking out too.

I've never actually listened to any of his stuff, but I loved his essential mix, probably in my top 5 essential mixes.

Can we talk about how good's Spoon new album is ?

Also festival time this week-end ! I'm seeing QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys, Portishead (For the first time, looking forward to that), St. Vincent, Blondie, Warpaint, Cloud Nothings... Really looking forward to it despite the horrible price of food and drinks.

sweet! I didn't know that Spoon did a new album. Hopefully they'll go on tour too. Double hopefully in the UK.

My favorite spoon track is still don't make me a target:

Lotta love for all the stuff in the last few posts.

Damn. Psychic is one of my favorite albums in the past few years. Plus, I would really have liked to see them live.

Nicolas Jaar's Space Is Only Noise is well worth checking out too.

They really take the material to a different place live. Would highly recommend checking this set out if you're a fan. Also, two new B sides from the Psychic sessions here. We may be due another solo record from Nico some time soon; he tweeted that he'd be playing mostly new material at one of his recent DJ sets. Super interested to hear what that'll be!

Jeez, I kinda like those guys a lot huh.

Jon Hopkins is great. Definitely check out his albums before Immunity. I'd recommend checking out the film soundtracks he did as well (The Lovely Bones, Monsters & How I Live Now).

I'm getting quite excited for the release of Slow Magic's new album next month and hoping to see him on tour:

I didn't realize how great this Pixies song was before the Pixies linked to it on Facebook (after some band had covered it) and I really listened to it this time.

Oh Alexander I see you beneath the archway of aerodynamics. I love kinda-nonsense lyrics like these.

This isn't really a music recommendation, but it's a music related thing I recommend?

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

Kinda similar to Ishkurs Guide to Electronic Music or Map of Metal but not genre specific. A MASSIVE graph of music genres, mostly computer generated, though I do see the developer tweet about adding genres so I'm not sure. If you click into a genre, you'll see another graph showing artists in that genre, and you can play some selected tunes. Poking around weird music genres is a fun way to lose a bunch of time, check it out! 

I am enjoying this song by Banks:

This isn't really a music recommendation, but it's a music related thing I recommend?

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

Kinda similar to Ishkurs Guide to Electronic Music or Map of Metal but not genre specific. A MASSIVE graph of music genres, mostly computer generated, though I do see the developer tweet about adding genres so I'm not sure. If you click into a genre, you'll see another graph showing artists in that genre, and you can play some selected tunes. Poking around weird music genres is a fun way to lose a bunch of time, check it out! 

Awesome. Killing time reading about music, bouncing from genre to genre, artist to artist and tracing links and influences is my favourite thing.

Been listening to Heems' mixtape, Nehru Jackets. IT'S SO GOOD.

Been listening to Heems' mixtape, Nehru Jackets. IT'S SO GOOD.

This is good. I like it.

Unrelated: Anyone who knows me knows I unabashedly love stupid-ass novelty music. The other day I discovered Steam Powered Giraffe.

Apparently it falls under the musical genre "steampunk" which *vomit*, but whatever. They're sort of a show band but I like the music a lot. That probably says something about me. They're ostensibly a steam-powered robot band. They, of course, did a Daft Punk cover...

And then here's one of their originals: