Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

My favourite thing about "Word Crimes" is that it's consistent with Weird Al's previously-established views on grammar.

uoFFmcy.gif

I think Stephen Fry would like to have a word with him...

I love Lim Kim's breathy Astrud-Gilberto-like stylings. When they are paired with a little bit of pop and a hook that has barbs, shit is catchy as fuck.

In a post-Anita-Sarkeesian world I can't stop thinking "women as furniture, women as furniture, oh wow I love pendulum-waves, women as furniture..." as I watch this video, but I have been singing "we.we.we need a metronome.we.we.we.we.need a metroNOoooOOme" for a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb_NQuh2-OE

BTW: If anyone happens across someone who has gone to the trouble of diagramming the musical forms (like chorus/verse/chorus/verse/transition) in K-pop, I would really appreciate it if you tell me. I'm especially interested in looking at such diagrams for 2NE1's album Crush.

Edit: I decided to try doing one for Come Back Home 

instrumental intro > vocalized intro (2x) > vocalized transition > chorus (2x) > spoken transition > minimalist, dissonant hook (2x)> minimalist, disonant hook (altered) (2x) >

verse (2x)        >     vocalized intro (2x) > vocalized transition > chorus (2x) > spoken transition > minimalist, dissonant hook (2x) > minimalist disonant hook (altered) (2x) > chorus > chorus in double time > spoken transition

That was interesting.

That was a weird video for come back home. I'm not quite sure what was going on. They were like making drugs? In a room with dangling motherboards? and then they... burnt a party of white suits? what? but it's OK because they saved the world? YES. 

Although this for me is the weirdest music video I've seen (although it is J-pop and not K-pop):

It's like Lady GaGa fuelled on sugar and Japan.

The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

Interesting story: The Verve/Richard Ashcroft have made absolutely no money from that song

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_Sweet_Symphony

Although the song's lyrics were written by Verve vocalist Richard Ashcroft, its distinctive passage for strings was sampled from the 1965 Andrew Oldham Orchestra symphonic recording of "The Last Time", arranged & written by David Whitaker, inspired by the 1965 Rolling Stones' song of the same title.

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a licence to use a five-note sample from the Oldham recording, but former Stones manager Allen Klein (who owned the copyrights to the band’s pre-1970 songs) claimed the Verve broke the agreement and used a larger portion.Despite its original lyrics and string intro (by Wil Malone & Ashcroft), the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" was sampled from the Oldham track, which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's holding company, and eventually settled out of court. The Verve relinquished all of their royalties to Allen Klein, owner of ABKCO Records, whilst songwriting credits were changed to Jagger/Richards/Ashcroft.

"We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing," says band member Simon Jones. "They rung up and said we want 100 percent or take it out of the shops, you don't have much choice."

After losing the composer credits to the song, Richard Ashcroft commented, "This is the best song Jagger and Richards have written in 20 years", noting it was their biggest UK hit since "Brown Sugar".

On Ashcroft's return to touring, the song traditionally ended the set list. Ashcroft also reworked the single for VH2 Live for the music channel VH1, stripping the song of its strings. Ashcroft is quoted as saying during the show: "Despite all the legal angles and the bullshit, strip down to the chords and the lyrics and the melody and you realise there is such a good song there."

In a Cash for Questions interview with Q magazine published in January 1999, Keith Richards was asked (by John Johnson of Enfield) if he thought it was harsh taking all The Verve's royalties from "Bitter Sweet Symphony," to which he replied, "I'm out of whack here, this is serious lawyer shit. If The Verve can write a better song, they can keep the money."

If you haven't checked out Sylvan Esso yet I strongly recommend them. The folk-elcectro duo have this really unique but accessible sound to them. They are great live too and sound pretty much exactly the same as their recorded stuff.

Does anyone here know if the bit starting at around 2:25 in Pueblo Nuevo (from Buena Vista Social Club) is "quoting" some other song?

Really enjoying this electronica group right now, who seem to put a bit more emphasis than usual on getting some violins in there — along with those video game-style synthesisers we all love.

Odd Nosdam of cLOUDDEAD fame has made the mix tape he produced live in 2004 available free on Bandcamp:

Le Mix Live

I enjoyed it.

I'm pretty sure everything I've posted has gone over like a lead balloon, but if you dig on power pop/garagey stuff, these kids are the realest of deals! i predict big things! (tiny big things) 

http://sheermag.bandcamp.com/

Is that priced at $1000? Am I reading that right?

I'm pretty sure everything I've posted has gone over like a lead balloon, but if you dig on power pop/garagey stuff, these kids are the realest of deals! i predict big things! (tiny big things) 

http://sheermag.bandcamp.com/

Whoa nice. Listening to the first track and can confirm this is good stuff.

Also lol:

DiHzsB3.png

I think the $1,000 thing is a joke, since the 7" comes out next month!

Yeah, I figured it out eventually. I suspected that it was a loophole to get around Bandcamp limiting track previews to albums which are "released". Don't know if that's the case but it would make sense if it were.

Yeah, I figured it out eventually. I suspected that it was a loophole to get around Bandcamp limiting track previews to albums which are "released". Don't know if that's the case but it would make sense if it were.

Yeah this is my initial hunch.

Melancholic but also uplifting synth disco, love the atmosphere in the video too.

Does anyone here know if the bit starting at around 2:25 in Pueblo Nuevo (from Buena Vista Social Club) is "quoting" some other song?

----------------------------------------

Melancholic but also uplifting synth disco, love the atmosphere in the video too.

This makes me want Talk Talk to make a electro-dance album.

Yeah, thanks clyde, I thought of that as well soon after posting. Also, found the La Bamba dance:

I've been listening to some afro-latin music from the last century and this is the shit:

Speaking of Grimes...

FYF Fest is this weekend in LA.  Kinda worried how exhausting it's gonna be there's so much going on!  There are four stages, so we parsed out our schedule this afternoon:

Saturday:

Angel Olsen

Slint

Real Estate

Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks

Todd Terje

Grimes

Sunday:

Kelela

Mac Demarco

Thundercat

Built to Spill

Blood Orange

Darkside

Blood Brothers

Flying Lotus

Jamie XX

My expectations are set at medium.  Festivals tend to have bad sound, sloppy playing, malfunctioning equipment, annoying patrons, bad bathrooms, etc.  But those are some solid acts, if a bit on the safe side (not that I'd want to be imbibing some sinister stuff on a marathon summer weekend).  Highlights next week!!!