Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Anyone have any shoegaze suggestions? I'm more into the pretty mixed guy+girl vocals like MBV or Slowdive or Lush than the completely noisy lo-fi stuff like Whirr or whatever. I like strong reverby melodies buried under layers of guitar.

I suggest peeping Bailter Space's Robot World! They have a lot of great records, but I particularly like that one.

So my father would listen to a bunch of different music when I was growing up. I listened to rock and roll as a result of my older brothers being, well, older and exposed to it, but my father would listen to rock, jazz, hip hop, soul, soooo much stuff. Which is weird because he's all up on his Mexican heritage / culture (surprise; mariachi music was another thing of his).

Anyway, flash-forward to a few years go when House was a TV show people were into and people became aware of Massive Attack for the intro. I didn't realize it, but my dad was listening to Massive Attack in my youth, the most prominent track being this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2e72HPwrhE

Someone just introduced me to these guys. If you like heavily jazz-inspired electronic music, or just groovy shit in general, check this out.

I suggest peeping Bailter Space's Robot World! They have a lot of great records, but I particularly like that one.

This was great. Thanks!

Oo.  Really dig that track, Cine!  I'll check out "here comes forever" soon.

Here's some straight pop[caan].  Just got a promotion at work two days ago (!!!!), so my brain has latched onto the eponymous line on this track:

Listened to the whole album a couple of times.  Has a really nice consistency in tone and general vibe.  The tracks blur together to create this pleasant, melodic hum.

Any thoughts on the new DFA1979 track?

I'm not entirely sure, but I still bought tickets to go see them live.

Not a fan, I'm kind of surprised they're back together since it really seemed like they hated each other, but I guess their one off festival show at Coachella was probably pretty lucrative since they've been keeping it up since. I guess if Pink Floyd are putting out another album (albeit without Waters) anything can happen.

Not too long ago I accidentally discovered this band called Nvmeri(previously know as The Uniques). The first song I heard was this:

Then I listened to the rest of the album From the Dust and I completely blown awayby how fucking good every single song was. The uniqueness of each song, the production, the musicianship, everything! And this from a band from Slovakia that no one has heard of and it's certainly not the kind of music that I would actively look for on my own accord. I highly recommend listening to From the Dust from start to finish in one sitting. Just listen to it and don't to anything else(generally good advice for first-listens). Multi-layered songs, kick ass bass lines, beautiful synths and harmonized singing, blazing guitars. It is a hell of a ride. You can find it on their website or on Grooveshark.

I did not realize his album was already out. I AM LISTENING TO IT NOW.

Yes, and there will be 5 more music videos too. Related, on this weeks Comedy Bang Bang he said it might be his last real album because he's interested in doing the parodies in a more timely fashion.

Yeah I think that would probably be better. He can always do a "best of" album a few years down the line (or however long it takes I guess). Hopefully that doesn't mean less original music or polka funtimes.

Yeah I think that would probably be better. He can always do a "best of" album a few years down the line (or however long it takes I guess). Hopefully that doesn't mean less original music or polka funtimes.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm hoping.  Just put out songs/videos one at a time and then collect them and add in the original songs every few years.

Anyone have any shoegaze suggestions? I'm more into the pretty mixed guy+girl vocals like MBV or Slowdive or Lush than the completely noisy lo-fi stuff like Whirr or whatever. I like strong reverby melodies buried under layers of guitar.

I'm not sure if it's shoegaze or psychedelia, but we've been listening to a lot of Washed Out lately.

Word Crimes was SO GOOD. I cheered when he explained why "I could care less" is stupid.

Also, he said cunning linguists, which made me think of CunninLynguists, which made me post this. 

Really enjoying the new James Ferraro mix:

https://soundcloud.com/user703918785/sets/suki-girlz

Last I checked in with him was Far Side Virtual in 2011, and though I appreciated the concept and execution, it left me pretty cold.  The new mix is a really good collection of beats

I'm listening to this while I read Trashgasm #2 and it works really wel with it.

I'm listening to this while I read Trashgasm #2 and it works really wel with it.

The description of Trashgasm #2 makes it sound like those two would go very well together.

I usually bounce off soundcloud mixes real quick since they feel even more ephemeral than official releases (which is pretty damn ephemeral these days), but I'm getting to the point with this mix where I'm going to go through the hassle of downloading it onto my phone.  It's immediately comforting and familiar, almost taps into a nostalgic vein for me.  Like a gentle, glitchy, lo-fi, digital bath with just a pinch of implied violence.

Any thoughts on the new DFA1979 track?

I'm not entirely sure, but I still bought tickets to go see them live.

That's a pretty awesome song. Thanks for opening my ears to this band. I like Going Steady. :)

Is anyone a fan of The Grateful Dead here? The more I get into them, the crazier the rabid devoted fan base become. It's crazy how much they argue over the best set, the best rendition of one song, their most nostalgic tape recording. And then there are sub-divisions in that fan club - collectively known as 'Dead Heads', there are also like 'Wharf Rats' who supported each other to be drug free, and 'Tapers' who taped their live shows. It goes on and on. But I really like the music. It's great. China Cat sunflower is a particular favourite of mine. Especially when jammed into I Know You Rider.

My stepfather has a prescription for medicinal marijuana. Whether or not this contributed to him introducing me to the Grateful Dead when I was around 16 has no conclusive evidence, but I feel that the two are related. That said, I very much enjoy their music. I've never been a person who has gotten into finding the best recording, tapes, etc, etc, but on the right kind of summer day, I like putting on the core albums and having them be just kind of on all day in the background. It's been that kind of summer so far, so yes. My vinyl of American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are two of my most played records (also, The Stooges' Raw Power, but that is for a different post) as vinyl just kind of feels right for how to listen to them.