Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

(man, forumgoing at 3 in the morning is not a good idea.)

heres a song:

I've been listening to SPEAK recently in preparation for their new album:

One of their recent videos was also a game:
Be Reasonable, Diane

(Sadly, they wrote 'video game' as a single word)

Was looking for some new proggy-but-not-overdone metal and these guys really hit the spot. The build-up just after 4 minutes is so good. More bands need to throw in some chunky bass chords every now and then.

Anyone like Swans? I've been trying to like them, but at least the last two albums are so hard to listen to -- there seems to some cacophony element there. I usually fall asleep easily with any kind of music, but found it impossible with Swans.

Swans is an interesting one. I really like their stuff on paper but it's a real chore to actually listen to. Whenever I put on the Seer I find myself in this weird, depressed haze about 30 minutes in and have to switch it off. It's something in how repetitious yet ominous it is in parts, I think. Normally I like that sort of thing in heavier music, but with Swans it just feels so... evil. (edit: why do I feel like I've made this exact post in this thread before.)

I have a real sweet spot for this song, though.

Anathema has recently updated their catalogue on Spotify, love this album from 2012

Anathema – Weather Systems

Shit yes, my fav of theirs. They have a new one coming out in... holy cow, next week! /gets hype

Not much of a fan of gangsta rap, but Madlib makes this album. Not that Gibbs isn't good, but eh, not really into lyrics that talk about the thug life. Freddie makes it bearable and puts more soul into his lyrics than other gangsta rappers these days, imo. But damn, that fucking beat. Madlib straight up owns this album. 

Not much of a fan of gangsta rap, but Madlib makes this album. Not that Gibbs isn't good, but eh, not really into lyrics that talk about the thug life. Freddie makes it bearable and puts more soul into his lyrics than other gangsta rappers these days, imo. But damn, that fucking beat. Madlib straight up owns this album. 

Spotify has just the beats for the full album.... :D

Spotify has just the beats for the full album.... :D

AAAAH, and thus, I have downloaded Spotify for the first time. Holy crap, Madlib's beats are so fucking good, it's ridiculous. It's like the soundtrack to a blaxploitation film, which seems to be the inspiration of most tracks ("Scarface", being the most obvious).

Also, M. Ward is cool.

I thought you were a fan of Pitbull?

Shadup. :P

The Raymond Scott song Dilla samples from is also very good.

The Raymond Scott song Dilla samples from is also very good.

My wife was just this weekend rediscovering a bunch of Raymond Scott.  It's amazing how little Dilla had to do to Lightworks to make it one of his own.  A head-nodding beat wayyyyyy ahead of its time.

Also so easy to forget about Raymond Scott!  Lonny Tunes adaptations, Sleeping Sounds for Babies, adverts. Love how all over the place his work is.  Some great facts in his wiki:

Used the pseudonym Raymond Scott because he was worried about charges of nepotism when his brother's orchestra started playing his compositions in the mid-1930s.  Called a six-piece band a Quintette because he thought the word sextet would take the focus away from the music.  He worked as director of Motown's electronic music and research department from 1971-77.  No Motowen recordings using Scott's inventions inventions have been publicly identified. He classically fell into obscurity as he aged, ran out of money, had some strokes.  Got some renewed interest a few years before he died.  The end.  :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDio3pjUr8

Same guy!!!

This album (Dangerous Days, by PERTURBATOR) just came out yesterday, and it is the best thing. I love this style of music, and he's one of the best. Love his album art too.

For those interested, or if you like stuff like Kavinsky (or the song Nachimir posted, of course) his new album is pay what you want at http://perturbator.bandcamp.com

He also did some stuff for the hotline miami OST, and is doing more for 2 I think.

Fog is Kickstarting a new album after a seven-year hiatus. In the not inconceivable event that you're unfamiliar with Fog, here's a haphazard and poorly-judged selection of some of the many and varied styles he/they adopted in some of his/their earlier releases (although you should probably watch the video in the link first):

I'm tempted to

, but that really would be
the

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the prospect of a new album after all this time, and that short clip in the Kickstarter video sounds better every time I listen to it. I hope the campaign succeeds.

New Weird Al is coming next month!

oh my goobness I could not be more excited

shXemTv.jpg

Holy shit it's about time. I'm excited!!!

New Mastodon album is super good. I really didn't like the first song they released and was worried the album would be the same, but this is great.

Magazine is awesome. I'd say that their second album Secondhand daylight is even better than the first, even though Real life is probably more iconic.

I've been recently obsessed with Bill Fay's Time of the last persecution, especially the title track:

So after hearing them on their track "Kiyoko" on end credits of the Akira Project trailer, I'm really enjoying Le Matos.

Everyone loves a Vangelis Blade Runner sample.

I've been really into a crazy new band the kid's aint listening to coz it ain't cool yet. But it's totes cool.

From oxford apparantly. I really like this whole darn album. It sounds so good.

So after hearing them on their track "Kiyoko" on end credits of the Akira Project trailer, I'm really enjoying Le Matos.

Everyone loves a Vangelis Blade Runner sample.

This is fantastic, though I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. I found an album on bandcamp though.

This is fantastic, though I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. I found an album on bandcamp though.

It's all available through bandcamp. The album with "Retired" on is called 'Coming Soon', and it's free/name-your-own-price.