Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Enjoying the new Gobby record!  It's beautifully textured, deconstructed dance music.  Great for a late-night swamp party.

http://gobbymusic.bandcamp.com/album/wakng-thrst-for-seeping-banhee   (it's on spotify too)

Also this review is terrible! http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=14691  

I want to quote the entire review.  It's so bad!

"It sounds like Gobby took whole songs and sent them through a shredder, and while that kind of reckless method can be fun, it could just as easily wear on your nerves."  In summation: Depending on who you are and what type of person you are (I certainly did my best to make sure you were entirely confused as to what kind of person I, the reviewer, am!), you might like this album or you might not.  3/5

Hello! 

I'd like to recommend the newest release by El Scar, アーティファクトのサイクル (Artifact's Circle). http://elscar.bandcamp.com/album/-

The music is a soothing blend of ambient melodic music and progressive metal. My favorite song from the EP is Bloodlines, it might be odd that such an extreme metal sound can be so relaxing and atmospheric. Love it!  :lol:

I just found out that country fans are listening to hip-hop.

I just found out that country fans are listening to hip-hop.

Hey, you ever think "How can white people make their rap even more white."

Wellp...

My current jam. I'm a bit late on the hot new shit lately. Been out of keeping up on that kind of stuff for a bit. Shame.

My current jam:

these guys need way more than 170 views.

I guess I'm going to like their first album until they make it big, and then I'll disown them.

This is some good-ass janky-ass instru hip-hop/electronic/something.

I dig that Shigeto.  That whole jazz-inflected electronic beat-heavy music thing is so delicious and easy to be in.

------

Yay! The Todd Terje is on spotify.  I do that horrible thing where I hear a good thing about a new release, check to see if it's on spotify, and if it's not, completely forget about it.  Thanks for the reminder!

----------

Tinymixtapes are killing it with their features!  Re: the Pixies new album and the criticism swirling around:

"And perhaps this is the nub of the problem, with the trio being a self-extension, an existential prosthetic for so many of us that we find it difficult to accept a 21st century Pixies. We can't look at the reflection the band offers us in the present context, since it tells us, "You're not special," "You listen to a homogeneous band and must therefore be a homogeneous person," and so we retreat into insanely pointless 10.0 reviews of albums everyone already knows about, into the comfort of musical folklore, where assorted figures preside as inimitable singularities that reinforce our own deluded sense of singularity."

I've been really, like, hurting for music lately. Couldn't decide what I wanted to listen to. Things I know I love, I'm just sorta tired of listening to. I found something new, though...

I get so excited when I find new music I love. I'm excited. !

I recently discovered The War On Drugs and really started listening to them and fell in love with a few tracks this week. "An Ocean Between The Waves" and "Red Eyes" are my favourites. They sound a bit like less energetic Bruce Springsteen with more dreamy and spacey guitars and obscure lyrics.

(haven't actually seen this video, I mostly listen on Deezer/Spotify)

The new Jack White album will be out soon (June 10, I think). Can't wait!

The previous album was excellent:

I recently discovered The War On Drugs and really started listening to them and fell in love with a few tracks this week. "An Ocean Between The Waves" and "Red Eyes" are my favourites. They sound a bit like less energetic Bruce Springsteen with more dreamy and spacey guitars and obscure lyrics.

(haven't actually seen this video, I mostly listen on Deezer/Spotify)

I agree with your Bruce Springsteen comparison, but I like to also throw in a Wallflowers and Dire Straits for good measure.  They're so amazingly Dad-Rock, and yet... are so good.

I should listen to Dire Straits, I've probably heard a few songs, but never knowingly listened to them.

Anyone like Swans? I've been trying to like them, but at least the last two albums are so hard to listen to -- there seems to some cacophony element there. I usually fall asleep easily with any kind of music, but found it impossible with Swans.

I usually fall asleep easily with any kind of music, but found it impossible with Swans.

That is the best way to describe Swans!!!!!!  I find their recent stuff to be really exhilarating and dynamic!  Their early stuff is fun, too, just a bit more punishing in a no-wave kinda way:

Haven't found the space in my life yet to listen to the most recent "To Be Kind", but I love loved loved "The Seer".  Just the track times get me psyched:  8:05, 12:40, 7:08, 34:05, 5:09, 17:01, etc.

Devon Townsends new concept album side project thing that got funded through a music kickstarter

Casualties of Cool

STOLEN FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Casualties of Cool is the debut album of country rock group Casualties of Cool, consisting of Canadian musicians Devin Townsend and Ché Aimee Dorval. It was partially funded by the crowdfunding site PledgeMusic, and was released on May 14, 2014. The album is a concept album.

Background

On his blog, Devin Townsend stated, "Casualties of Cool [is] a duo with myself and Che (ki)... It sounds like haunted Johnny Cash songs. Late night music, completely isolated sounding and different than anything I’ve done. Che sings most of the leads, and it’s probably the truest reflection of who I am in life at this point."

Concept

Townsend described the story as being about a traveller that is lured to a sentient planet, which feeds on the traveller's fear. The traveller finds solace in an old radio and later an old phonograph. Eventually, he confronts his own fear, and his "force of will to not submit to the fear" liberates a woman held inside the planet, which also frees his own soul.

New Devin Townsend??

I'm sold.