Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

This thread introduced me to Tobacco (courtesy of Snooglebum - wherever he is now). He has a new album out next month.

NSFW

So I was reminded of this great set of mixes that I found years ago, and listening to them again made me think of that business video that was used for the kickstarter post cards that I can't seem to find right now.

That being said enjoy...

BUSINESSFUNK:

http://datassette.net/businessfunk/

His non-businessfunk stuff is pretty great too

http://datassette.net/

I watched the video.

I have no concept of what the motivations for making stuff like this must be. It's got such an intriguing disassociative quality, like when VHS tapes of company-promos from the thrift-store aren't pure enough and you have to fire off some emails for the masters.

A few recommendations from me:

Sunset Rubdown: Dragonslayer

Harlem Shakes: Technicolor Health

Born Ruffians: Red, Yellow, and Blue

Yeah!  He's great!  The track below is just so well put together.  Absolutely one of my favorites from last year!

You have a nice family, Twig. That also looks like some good grilling ya doing there. Pretty dope.

Calling it, future multi-platinum rockstar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvsN0SoC9lU

A few hours ago (from this posting) this video had like 18,000 views. Now it has over a hundred thousand thanks to reddit, wouldn't be surprised at more to come.

How old are these kids? This is great! Very Black Keys-y in my opinion but I'm really impressed.

Went to a concert of Brahms last night played by the LA Phil.  Had the lucky opportunity to sit very close and it sounded beautiful.  Sadly it wasn't Brahms at his best.  Piano Concerto No. 2 is a bit... lacking.  When I'm sitting through lesser works at these kinds of concerts I'm left imagining the kinds of pieces I wish I could hear played in such a monumental setting.  Oftentimes I wish they would do more of a playlist style, and cherry-pick movements from larger works that are actually of excellent quality, and get rid of the chuff.

So with that!  Here's my favorite Charles Ives thing.  1st movement from the Piano Trio (the rest of the piece hasn't really grabbed me).  Ever the experimenter, he starts with just the cello and right-hand of the piano.  Then the violin and the left-hand of the piano take over.  Then he takes those two parts and gels them together.  The best part, though, is that it is actually so amazing to listen to.  Some experimental compositional technique stuff ends up sounding like the composer came up with a cool idea and then couldn't figure out how to make it "sound" "well".  I would argue that Ives falls into that trap fairly often, but when he succeeds it can be sublime:

Everyone reading this post. Click on that video. I listen this song everyday and it's uber motivating for some reason.

Seriously, click it. You won't regret it!

Spotify has once again pleased me with its recommendation engine. Apparently it's because I like AlunaGeorge and Janelle Monae.