Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

If you need some momentum, this will get you moving:

I could really go for a delicious bowl of water tho.

Went to a minimalist concert last night at Disney Hall.  Ended up being a bit of a disappointment!  It was a bloated program - 3 sections of 3 pieces, with 2 pieces playing in the lobbies during the intermissions.  3 of those pieces were Reich pieces!!  I appreciate what Steve Reich means to western musical history, but I think the majority of his music is half-baked.  They played his recent Radio Rewrite, which is a piece loosely inspired by two Radiohead songs.  It was bloated and meandering and the textural composition was like hot poop being slid into my ears.  For some reason this was the only piece that the conductor came out for a second bow.  The hall lights had already come up, so at least someone working there agreed with me. :D

Yesterday was good for other music, though.  Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks released their debut!  Didn't have time to digest the whole thing, but I do love that first track:

Yesterday was good for other music, though. Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks released their debut! Didn't have time to digest the whole thing, but I do love that first track:

I listen to Animal Collective and Panda Bear, but I didn't know Avey Tare had another band. Sweet.

I listen to Animal Collective and Panda Bear, but I didn't know Avey Tare had another band. Sweet.

OO.  If you haven't already heard it, Avey Tare's previous solo record, Down There, is great, too!

I'll throw Panda Bear's Person Pitch into the AnCo lovefest. Need to listen to slasher flicks, but havent yet.

A friend recommended Deezer over Spotify. Now I've been using both (mostly Deezer) and indeed it seems Deezer compares rather favourably:

* better sound quality

* better radios

* better recommendations

Better recommendations/radio is great, it has mostly only recommended songs/albums I liked listening to. On the other hand I might not find something totally unexpected, which happened a couple of times with Spotify.

The only issues I have with Deezer is with the software architecture:

* on desktop, runs in a browser not an app so it has the advantage of being able to open many tabs, but on the other hand a separate application is easier to manage (Spotify has better shortcut keys etc.)

* on my old iPhone 3GS the mobile app's UI is slow slow slow, I only have patience to use it to start a single playlist on my 30-min commute. (on an iPad Mini it's ok)

Quite enjoying listening to this guy's stuff, a very unique chill electronica sound. This video is quite beautiful:

This one builds up into something wondeful, and I enjoy the gentle use of game-ish synths:

So I played the original Fallout in 2010. During that time the girl I was dating was really into Yorke and had given me a mix of his music which included this song. I played that mix over and over while wandering the wastes and now particular songs of his immediately remind me of the game. Ran into this tonight while browsing my music library and now all I can think about is Fallout 1. Blerp.

Yeah, I know most people here probably know about them but one of their albums was just rereleased this week so I've been listening to them a lot lately along with other riot grrl and punk.

Kathleen Hannah is curating the Sled Island Music Festival in my hometown this year. She has already landed Mission of Burma. I am excite.

So I was reminded of this great set of mixes that I found years ago, and listening to them again made me think of that business video that was used for the kickstarter post cards that I can't seem to find right now.

That being said enjoy...

BUSINESSFUNK:

http://datassette.net/businessfunk/

His non-businessfunk stuff is pretty great too
http://datassette.net/

Son Lux, favorite musician working right now:

Thanks for sharing, that whole album is awesome, been listening to it a lot.

snip

Yeah, I know most people here probably know about them but one of their albums was just rereleased this week so I've been listening to them a lot lately along with other riot grrl and punk.

cool!

I just got this really great compilation called Girls in the Garage. It's all music that went relatively unknown in the 60s, but was dug up and compiled in the late 80s. part of the same DIY feminist climate that gave rise to riot grrl.

this one reminds me of shonen knife:

His non-businessfunk stuff is pretty great too

http://datassette.net/

Thanks, I'd never got around to investigating his music deeply, but I've been meaning to because of his incredible remix of Kate Bush:

Listened to this yesterday for the first time in beards, and it's still great. Just really daft, cheesy and fun.

My friend showed me this the other day and I haven't stopped playing it/watching this amazing music video.

I've just learned this exists and I can't stop smiling:

Swag swag like Caillou.