Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Oh man, I am jealous that you're opening the treasure chest of Flaming Lips content for the first time!!

Re: Unknown Mortal Orchestra over-listening:  Isn't it sad the way that one falls out of love with music?  It's this weird, slow descent into knowing something too well.  I tend to find it so depressing that at the first hint of over-doing it I pull out and stop listening entirely.  I'd rather cement the music in a place of love.

Yeah its weird how long I've gone without listening to them. I'm really loving how dynamic they are. It's funny that I only got around to them because I was listening to Lightning Bolt on yt.

Yes its sad how becoming overly familiar can hamper my enjoyment of music. At the same time, format greatly defines enjoyment. Listening to UMO on earbuds is infinitely worse than my sennheiser 'phones.

Anyway my current groove is Haim -Days Are Gone  What Bad Hat has shared below me.

Blasting this at my office as both of my bosses are gone for the day:

Tim Hecker makes incredible music. He and Oneohtrix Point Never are taking music to really interesting places. It's a bummer that their collaboration record didn't live up to my otherworldly expectations. 

I just purchased my first major high fi system, as an upgrade to a large Logitech computer speakers unit. Serious night and day stuff. Running a high quality vinyl (Ween's The Mollusk is always my test record) through the new turntable and through the new equipment for the first time seriously blew my mind. I already had high quality headphones, but this took them somewhere else. I've been playing a lot of Bjork to celebrate, because her records sound amazing.

Tim Hecker makes incredible music. He and Oneohtrix Point Never are taking music to really interesting places. It's a bummer that their collaboration record didn't live up to my otherworldly expectations. 

I just purchased my first major high fi system, as an upgrade to a large Logitech computer speakers unit. Serious night and day stuff. Running a high quality vinyl (Ween's The Mollusk is always my test record) through the new turntable and through the new equipment for the first time seriously blew my mind. I already had high quality headphones, but this took them somewhere else. I've been playing a lot of Bjork to celebrate, because her records sound amazing.

Seeing Oneohtrix on Friday at the Echoplex!!  I still struggle with his most recent album.  I can't figure out when to listen to it.  It always feels perpendicular to whatever mood/setting I'm in.  Really curious to see how it plays out live...

I used to work in a mastering studio, so I am no stranger to the beautiful sounds of a proper hi-fi system.  It's the kind of thing that makes you dig through your collection again just to see what new details emerge.  It makes listening so much more engaging.  I've found certain strains of medical marijuana do the same thing, it should be noted. Might be cheaper than getting a new hi-fi system.... :D

Fuckin "A". I love moments when I find out that I will never be the best. What's that called? Humility.

Nice electronica duo I've been listening to on Spotify:

Rest in peace, Phillip.

Goddamn that was an amazing song. I have to watch that movie at some point.

So, at long last, the new Minilogue album is out... and it's absolutely beautiful.

If you've not heard of them before, here's the chaps just jamming around in their studio in Malmö. Listen, relax, and enjoy!

Just started listening to Django Django, I think they're really awesome. I love the whole album, but this song is really catchy.

"Did you want to be Famous? Did you want to beat the president?"

The official video has musical robots... but it also has gratuitous robot nudity as the holding image?

Well I finally listened to some Nils Frahm because everyone kept insisting on him and, okay, wow.

Two technically amazing musicians I love did something together, which is usually a recipe for either greatness or overindulgence. Well, turns out it's pretty indulgent, luckily it's also pretty great.

A fairly nice nine minutes of (mostly) electronica. No vocals for those who like that kind of thing.

My brother said: "Check out Judee Sill's self-titled debut."  I said "OK!" or something of the sort.  I tend to trust my brother's recommendations, so I did no research about when the record was made, who she is, etc.

I thought: Joni Mitchell on acid.  This is pretty, well recorded, and kinda bizarre.  She makes some really weird compositional/arrangement choices and pulls them off effortlessly.  She also has this way of pronouncing certain words where she twangs them in a very unfortunate way.

Needless to say, I was sold!

The lyrics for the first group of tracks are all weird imagery with animals and crowns and stuff.  It wasn't until I got to the 6th track on the album that she starts singing very directly about Jesus.  My wife laughed so hard that I didn't realize that all of her tracks deal pretty directly with Christian themes and imagery.

So now instead of crazy acid-loving folkster, I'm thinking crazy religious folkster.  Then I read her wiki:  Reformed burgler, sometimes prostitute, HUGE drug user (died of a heroin overdose in the late 70s).  So I was half right!  She's a crazy acid-loving religious folkster.  What an odd combination....

The first 5 tracks on that album are golden. Highly recommended!