Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I hadn't gotten around to listening to the new Touche Amore album, and I'm not a very big fan of them, but I'm considering seeing them in a couple weeks because they're playing with MewithoutYou so I figured I'd finally pick up the album and give it a listen.  I'm liking it a lot.

30 seconds in to Touche Amore :tup: sound uncannily similar to Norma Jean.... Ooooh Norma Jean has a new album I didn't know about!

I've been listening to 'the veils' a lot this week, I love em. Start with the first album, I love the vocals

For some reason I'm only listening to Leningrad Cowboys this week. I'm not really sure why.

I've been unabashedly enjoying me some poppy rocky with underlying chippy tuney.

30 seconds in to Touche Amore :tup: sound uncannily similar to Norma Jean.... Ooooh Norma Jean has a new album I didn't know about!

I've been listening to 'the veils' a lot this week, I love em. Start with the first album, I love the vocals

I wasn't that big on the new Norma Jean album, but I think I only listened to it once.  On the other hand if you like them and you haven't listened to The Chariot you should listen to The Chariot.  The lead vocalist was the original vocalist of Norma Jean from Bless the Martyr era and their stuff is really good.  I think they broke up within the last six months (actually I don't think they broke up as much as they retired/had real life stuff to do and didn't have time for touring and music anymore), but they had a really good album that came out at the end of 2012.  If you've already listened to them you can disregard this post.

Shit gets rad at 1:19

Have been going through all the artists I liked trying to find new stuff. Found Mike Shinoda's side thingy Fort Minor. Pretty well known, you've probably heard at least one of their songs, but there is one song that may be one of my favourites of all time.

I'm not sure how to add a YouTube video, the interface confounds me. This is a great song though.

I should've guessed it would be that, and yes, I thought the same about Use of Weapons when I first saw it.

Yeah, more I see it, the more the parallels make sense...

Royal family thing is Zakalwe's past.

Golden arm man / woman = 'Cheradenine Zakalwe' and his odd life.

Lady in the car = Diziet Sma

Spitting lady = Pursuing lady whose name I forget but knows the truth and hates Zakalwe.

Then the whole creepy technology guys are the Culture observing everything.

Hovering guns are pretty much the drones.

I like it. I can see how this would be how you'd go about making a movie of the book in a nutshell.

Panda Su: 

(Still no idea how to embed a YouTube) :-S

Just remove the link so it's a plain URL.

So guys the Hottest 100 was yesterday.

If you did not listen to the Hottest 100, then you clearly do not know any Australians. It is run by Triple J, who are a arm of the government charged with ensuring Australian teenagers and young adults have access to at least one decent radio station. The Hottest 100 is, at this point, the single largest music poll in the world, with 1.5 million votes every year.

There are a lot of Australian artists (including the number one this year) but that basically means there's a bunch of music you haven't heard. It usually has a strong indie bent, and while it's as vulnerable to the trends as anything else made for youth, there's usually at least some musical merit. This year's votes tended towards the indie rock spectrum, although it's not as heavy on the Lorde as you would expect (and also she's a New Zealander), but there was a decent amount of rap, metal, and electronic. (And disco, thanks to Daft Punk.)

Here is the

and Spotify playlist.

I usually just post things that recently catch my attention, but I was suddenly struck by the possibility that y'all might not know that Dirty Three exists.

This is music. 

How do I find the emoticon of ejaculation?
:yep:
 ?

I usually just post things that recently catch my attention, but I was suddenly struck by the possibility that y'all might not know that Dirty Three exists.

This is music. 

How do I find the emoticon of ejaculation?

:yep: ?

Yeah, Dirty Three is absolutely fantastic!

Here's another video with Chan Marshall singing about horrible things in a beautiful voice.

I will always prefer The Soft Bulletin!!! Flame war on!!!!

:P

Soft Bulletin was the perfect blend of Drozd/Coyne.  Simple, beautiful pop songs (Coyne) with beautiful, lush arrangements (Drozd).  Yoshimi went in a compositional direction that wasn't as interesting for me. Felt very much so like a purely Coyne lovechild. Still got a lot of love from me in high school, but I've never gone back like I do to Soft Bulletin.

The horrendous keyboard orchestrations juxtaposed with the most beeeeeautiful drum sound:

I will always prefer The Soft Bulletin!!! Flame war on!!!!

:P

Soft Bulletin was the perfect blend of Drozd/Coyne.  Simple, beautiful pop songs (Coyne) with beautiful, lush arrangements (Drozd).  Yoshimi went in a compositional direction that wasn't as interesting for me. Felt very much so like a purely Coyne lovechild. Still got a lot of love from me in high school, but I've never gone back like I do to Soft Bulletin.

The horrendous keyboard orchestrations juxtaposed with the most beeeeeautiful drum sound:

Oh it's fine dude. I think it's fantastic you're championing a different album; I'm going to find it today and see what it's about!

I've been listening to them a lot over the past week, and I'm loving pretty much every full length album I'm coming across, Flaming Lips with Heady Fwends, Dark Side of The Moon, At War with The Mystics, Embryonic, The Fearless Freaks, The Terror, Once Beyond Hopelessness -it just goes on!

My Other favourite band for this year+ is Unknown Mortal Orchestra buut I have been listening so much that not even the bootleg lives are keeping me going right now. I think I'll just have to ban myself from listening to them intensely for a month or so and come back.

Edit: so I'm listening to Soft Bulletin now and I'm really happy with it. Cheers for the recommendation! 

Oh it's fine dude. I think it's fantastic you're championing a different album; I'm going to find it today and see what it's about!

I've been listening to them a lot over the past week, and I'm loving pretty much every full length album I'm coming across, Flaming Lips with Heady Fwends, Dark Side of The Moon, At War with The Mystics, Embryonic, The Fearless Freaks, The Terror, Once Beyond Hopelessness -it just goes on!

My Other favourite band for this year+ is Unknown Mortal Orchestra buut I have been listening so much that not even the bootleg lives are keeping me going right now. I think I'll just have to ban myself from listening to them intensely for a month or so and come back.

Edit: so I'm listening to Soft Bulletin now and I'm really happy with it. Cheers for the recommendation! 

Oh man, I am jealous that you're opening the treasure chest of Flaming Lips content for the first time!!

Re: Unknown Mortal Orchestra over-listening:  Isn't it sad the way that one falls out of love with music?  It's this weird, slow descent into knowing something too well.  I tend to find it so depressing that at the first hint of over-doing it I pull out and stop listening entirely.  I'd rather cement the music in a place of love.