Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

One other request: is anyone familiar with opera and if so what would you recommend? I've heard some amazing stuff in the past that I really liked but never made an effort to incorporate this type of music into my normal listening habits.

Daaaaamn. Both the song (by current West-EU golden child Stromae) and the insane choreography. Michael Jackson cum Frankenfurter.

New Broken Bells album imminent. I am pleased. Killer bass lines and some unusual sounds.

One other request: is anyone familiar with opera and if so what would you recommend? I've heard some amazing stuff in the past that I really liked but never made an effort to incorporate this type of music into my normal listening habits.

I got a year's subscription to the Met's online streaming thing as a gift.  I studied music in undergrad and even did a senior performance in voice, but opera always eluded me. Could never find the "space" in my life; the DVDs at school were shoddy quality, and purely listening to an opera always felt tiresome.  So! I'm hoping that this Met subscription thing will change things in opera's favor...

I do enjoy Benjamin Britton's "The Turn of the Screw". And Alban Berg's "Lulu" is pretty fun, too!

Not a huge music guy, but I've been listening to two groups almost non-stop, so here ya go.

Ratatat kicks serious ars. Think of the best hip-hop songs you can and remove those annoying "vocal" things.

You probably already know Guthrie as he did the soundtrack for Sword & Sworcery, and Indie Game the Movie.

I worked at a music store in 2008-9 with a guy who was SUPER into Ratatat. He liked to play it in the store quite a bit, and I always really liked it, but for whatever reason never picked up an album myself. I should rectify this.

Not a huge music guy, but I've been listening to two groups almost non-stop, so here ya go.

Ratatat kicks serious ars. Think of the best hip-hop songs you can and remove those annoying "vocal" things.

Ratatat are producing Despot's record, if that ever comes out.

Also, some good rap songs with annoying "vocals":

Man, Big L had so much potential. He could have been the best, his talent was undeniable. Unfortunately, his output is limited to a patchy debut album with some pretty uninspiring beats, and some killer verses among his crew. But hey, this song is still pretty incredible. Every fucking line is delivered perfectly. Also, the guy in the hook (Kid Capri, I think) calls him "big fella", which is fun.

Hey, this song has two great verses from two great rappers and the Black Milk knows how to program drums better than anybody else. Also, Danny Brown is wearing a big hat and isn't doing the dumb old man EDM stuff he is currently releasing. There are a lot of video game references in this song for some reason.

This song takes an ambient track and turns it into a hip hop beat. And it isn't terrible! Weird.

Non rap stuff:

I heard a cover of this recently. It was really bad and sounded like an American Idol audition piece. I had to hear the original to cleanse my palette. Now you, too, can join in on the fun and enjoy the best song about unrequited love ever written. "Lighting never strikes any more".  Jesus.

So I saw this live last winter (I was too lazy/stupid to go watch the retinal circus so I missed out on the circus stuff) in a small/average size venue. I guess you really have to be there but when they played this song it was the most intense audio/visual experience I ever had and I remember I just stood there mouth agape in a trance. Magical, spiritual even. A crazed bald man screaming NEVER FEAR LOVE in you face, whilst giant screens blazed with majestic imagery (think the opposite of a clock work orange)

Looks like I've hit my moody rock phase again. The National are pretty good at that.

^ 3:10, oh boy

So I saw this live last winter (I was too lazy/stupid to go watch the retinal circus so I missed out on the circus stuff) in a small/average size venue. I guess you really have to be there but when they played this song it was the most intense audio/visual experience I ever had and I remember I just stood there mouth agape in a trance. Magical, spiritual even. A crazed bald man screaming NEVER FEAR LOVE in you face, whilst giant screens blazed with majestic imagery (think the opposite of a clock work orange)

Devin has crazy energy live. This EP is pretty fantastic.

Devin has crazy energy live. This EP is pretty fantastic.

I also saw him on that tour, it was a couple of weeks after he released that EP as free download off his Website and he played those song in that order :) he recorded that at a mini gig in preparation for the tour

That EP is amazing, I've listened to it so many times

New Springsteen album is good, but the new version of The Ghost of Tom Joad is not working for me.

I'm not a huge fan of the boss, but I checked this record out for some reason. Man, the production on this leaves no rough edges. There is no personality in any of these recordings. That song about the mob boss is goddamn embarrassing, lyrically and musically. Oof. 

Also, Tom Morello is an inventive guitarist but an absolutely uninteresting musician to listen to.