Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Gah! I like this band so much. Thank you Bryan O'Malley for basing Envy Adams on Emily Haines :P

Gah! I like this band so much. Thank you Bryan O'Malley for basing Envy Adams on Emily Haines :P

Yesssssss. Metric's one of my favourite bands ever, and the Emily Haines/Envy Adams connection (especially in the movie, when The Clash At Demonhead performed a then-unreleased Metric song) is my favourite thing.

more Metric on accounta' why not

First new Ayreon album in some years is out. You definitely have to be open to prog metal and sci-fi cheese to enjoy it, but it's really awesome if you are — one of my all-time favourite artists thanks to the wonderful melodies and instrumentation, but the kind of music I have to listen to alone because wow this is some intense cheese.

There's not much to share on YouTube yet so here are some blasts from the past:

[Edit] Found a preview clip for the new album:

This is the coolest damned song that never got the recognition it could have:

This song is on Gimme Fiction, but I really dug ga ga ga ga ga, which is their next album that just happens to be hard to say without sounding stupid. Dont You Evah/Underdog/Cherry Bomb got consistent plays from me for years.

Also in this time of no Thumbs songs, here's the folk song Chris put on the Spacebase album that I really like

http://doublefine.bandcamp.com/track/the-settler

Love the shit out of Ayreon but haven't been able to crack into the new album yet. Whenever I try it just sounds way too familiar. I'm sure I'll get past that once I've played it through a few times, but god only knows how many times I've spun Electric Castle and Human Equation.

Did you check out his side project Guilt Machine? Love the vibe on this album. It's a bit like Binary but more subdued.

Not posting any music, but i got tickets to St. Vincent live in Feburary. Whoot. Been wanting to see her live for quite a while!

Blizzard remastered the Brood War music for SC2 and uuuuuuugh... sooo guuuud!

Playlist:

Only the Terran ones. Can't find the other races.

Not posting any music, but i got tickets to St. Vincent live in Feburary. Whoot. Been wanting to see her live for quite a while!

i saw her with sufjan a few years ago and it was alright. 

:tup: Rodi 

I'm definitely enjoying the new album. I do feel it being four long massive tracks (or 42 tiny ones) is a miss, I'd prefer more traditional lengths for easier randomised playlisting — but there's some fantastic instrumentation and writing going on here. Even if he is repeating himself a bit in terms of style (which I would also throw at 01011001), there's still unique stuff on offer.

Some tracks have started appearing on YouTube, these are some good tastes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzuyye1Mt1U

With that said, I think The Human Equation is going to remain my favourite album, and Universal Migrator Part 1 a close second. I have practically every Ajren album on CD, including Guilt Machine which yes I too very much enjoy. :tup:

Electric Castle will always remain my staunch favourite, it has my favourite instrumentation and cast of singers by a mile. If I ever had a ludicrous sum of money at my disposal I'd throw it at Arjen and have him make it into a stage production ala War of the Worlds. Anyway, I'll definitely give the new one another go, that track was quite enjoyable.

As we're vaguely on the topic of folk metal, here's something I've been really digging lately even though I normally steer well clear of this sort of thing (sorry, it's long).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJl-yvWxJx4

Oh god this song always gets me. And the moment it plays in the film (the ending) is amazing. Don't listen if you haven't watched Babel! The effect is lost somewhat. But still...goddamn, what a beautiful pair of songs.

Whoops, I listened having not watched the film. That was beautiful though, so thanks for convincing me to watch it.

BadHat, that Guilt Machine track is fantastic! Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome! The rest of the album is just as good.

Three words. Coheed and Cambria. One of the coolest progressive rock bands in my opinion. I've been a fan for awhile now. I totally recommend them. 

My favourite albums of the year (no real order):

Parquet Courts - Light up Gold

Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap

Vic Mensa - Innanetape

My Bloody Valentine - m b v

Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

Also, I liked Neko Case's record but didn't listen to it enough to include it with the rest of the albums here. Albums that I listened to a lot but didn't come out year include the second White Lung record, Burial, and the second Elvis Costello album.

I don't know what my favorite albums are this year, I don't even remember what exactly was early this year and what was late 2012. Kurt Vile is probably my aoty and Deafheaven is up there too.