Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Bobby McFerrin is incredible, and here's why:

Anyone know any great foreign folk music? That is, of the native African or Asian variety? I listened to some Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Orchestra, and now all I want is Mongolian throat-singing and tribal stuff.

Anyone know any great foreign folk music? That is, of the native African or Asian variety? I listened to some Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Orchestra, and now all I want is Mongolian throat-singing and tribal stuff.

I don't know if this is folk music, but it was the first thing I thought of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EY-Wb0YHvog

Also, the musicians of Jajouka can do things to your brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KSeRXVQkCWI

Also of note, everything I've heard from Nonesuch Explorer Series of records blew my mind.

Edit: Apparently Nonesuch still exists. Here is their African section

Are you like me, and when you see your iPhone full of music you become paralysed by choice? Do you just go to a playlist because you don't know what you actually feel like listening to? Do you have dozens of album you have only listened to a handful of times, only to leave a fuzzy impression on your memory? Remember when you used to love records, front to back, knowing every word and every little sound buried in the mix? 

Do what I did: delete all your music on your portable device. Start again. Download three or four albums, and listen to those. Forcing yourself to listen to records is the best way to know and love them. The four albums I currently have are Chance the Rapper's Acid Rap, Minor Threats EP Collection, Black Marble's Weight Against the Door, and Tim Hecker's The Piano Drop.

Here is my favourite song from the Black Marble record. If you like Joy Division style poppy bass with eerie, distant keyboard sounds, this will be your jam. 

Reading about the Gone Home soundtrack has me excited for chris' ambient score, love the sample

http://thefullbrightcompany.com/2013/08/14/the-music-of-gone-home/

Remindeds me of Devin Townsends ambient stuff

Devin Townsend Project – Ghost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM-2BVcklKs

Edit: so i've been ilstening this to the last hour and only just twigged the album is called GHOST :) maybe that's why i made the connection

Edit 2: God Damn i love Devin Townsend. Best song ever: Devin Townsend Project – Hyperdrive!

This is probably my favourite song that I've heard featured on Welcome to Night Vale. I go through stages of repeadetly listening to really melancholic folk stuff like this, Ben Howard - Black Flies and Ray LaMontagne - Burn. 

This is probably my favourite song that I've heard featured on Welcome to Night Vale. I go through stages of repeadetly listening to really melancholic folk stuff like this, Ben Howard - Black Flies and Ray LaMontagne - Burn.

Gosh, what a find. Thanks!

Yeah, if you like that then you'll probably like the other two I recommended in that post if you've not heard them already. 

Man I loved that song when I heard it from the same source, too. I was too lazy/distracted to follow up on hearing the song, so thanks for giving me the artist and title.

I just came across this:

The music video itself has a weird 80's music video on acid vibe. I think it's because the guys are dressed so bizarrely, it just reminds me of "Cars" but not as weird because at least they don't look like albino aliens. But hey whatever I've never even heard of Empire of the Sun and it sounds pretty good.

Also, youtube seems to think every other song I like means I would also like Bitter Sweet Symphony from the Verve. Well shut the fuck up youtube cause that shit sounds awful and I disliked it and stop bringing it up. Mostly because I use the recommendation to find new music and I said I don't like it, and I can't hyperbole to a self refining graph search, but I can here.

I just came across this:

The music video itself has a weird 80's music video on acid vibe. I think it's because the guys are dressed so bizarrely, it just reminds me of "Cars" but not as weird because at least they don't look like albino aliens. But hey whatever I've never even heard of Empire of the Sun and it sounds pretty good.

Also, youtube seems to think every other song I like means I would also like Bitter Sweet Symphony from the Verve. Well shut the fuck up youtube cause that shit sounds awful and I disliked it and stop bringing it up.

The Verve are cool and their second album is weird and kicks ass.

I just came across this:

Also, youtube seems to think every other song I like means I would also like Bitter Sweet Symphony from the Verve. Well shut the fuck up youtube cause that shit sounds awful and I disliked it and stop bringing it up. Mostly because I use the recommendation to find new music and I said I don't like it, and I can't hyperbole to a self refining graph search, but I can here.

The title of that video made me think it was this song

This is some quality shit for Banjo-Kazooie fans, even better than the prick tease that was Nuts & Bolts' soundtrack:

Banjo-Kazooie Symphony - 72 mins

The musician's YouTube channel is an absolute goldmine of orchestral game music renditions, by the way. I'm quite partial to the

, not to mention the 

I just came across this:

It looks like a portion of it was filmed in Edward James's garden, Las Pozas. I'd love to go there some day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-EWbpOltBHU