Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

A couple of my favourite bands have been in the studio, making the next couple of months pretty promising:

Cult of Luna's "Vertikal" is brilliant - and out now.

The Mire are back in the studio, and are half-way through recording their first full-length. Also for something a little different, you can have a listen to a few tracks from a defunct side project of the vocalist's: Selfish Jeans.

This is a couple of years old now, but I've recently really gotten into Mike Patton's Mondo Cane, an album of mid 20th century Italian pop music covers:

It combines a baroque style with a core of honest emotion and personality that is just a really enjoyable listen.

I'm really digging into Shibuya-Kei and Japanese Indie right now. So I pretty much have this song on repeat all the time.

Really need to spread the love for this one.

Mellow-ish prog metal seasoned with a bit of an electronic touch, i guess? Well, it's Jim Matheos and Kevin Moore.

Holy hell, how have I not heard about Hopesfall until now? You made my afternoon, Mington.

And in the interest of dumping more music into this thread, a live remix of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy:

also, this music video is pretty fantastic. Reminds me of 80's Sci Fi/Heavy Metal (minus the gratuitous breasts).

For an art project, someone is collecting as many copies of the 1st pressing of The White album and is recording all of them on top of each other to make some kind of sonic weirdness.

Here's The White Album x100, it starts out synced but it starts to smear a whole lot near the end of Dear Prudence. Crazy stuff.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Push the Sky Away is excellent!

As is the new Eels album:

Dang, The Sonics were cool as hell. Listen to that drum sound. Just listen to it. The guy is a beast.

While it's unfortunate that her music has had its collective ass raped off by TV adverts (something that seems to happen to quite a few of the electronica artists I listen to), I've nonetheless been enjoying Santigold's second album. It was initially difficult to get over associating the excellent Disparate Youth with a certain advert series that seems to make an appearance during every ad break ever, it is a great song from a great album. My favourites:

I'm sure by this point literally everyone in the world has heard the first album, but I still listen to that a lot too. :tup: Great artist.

I forgot how much this theme was played in Raising Arizona. What a great film and song.

Ode to joy/Road of Peace

(a.)                                            To Coda  ⌐1───────────────¬  ⌐2──────────────¬ CODA

C                 G/B               Am                C       G           G       C

█│──0───0───1───3───│─3───1───0───────│─────────────0───│─0────────────────│█─────────────────█────────────│█

█│──────────────────│─────────────3───│─1───1───3───────│───────3─3────────│█─3─────1─1───────█─3─────1─1──│█

█│•───0───0───0───0─│───0───0───0───0─│───2───2───2───2─│───0───────0───0─•│█───0───────0───0─█───0─────0──│█

█│•─────2───────2───│─────0───────0───│─────2───────2───│─────2───────0───•│█─────0───────2───█─────0───2──│█

█│──3───────3───────│─2───────2───────│─0───────0───────│─3────────────────│█─────────3───────█─────────3──│█

█│──────────────────│─────────────────│─────────────────│─────────3────────│█─3───────────────█─3──────────│█

(b.)                                                          D.C. al Fine

G         C         G         C         G         C9        Am  D   G

││─────────│─0───────│─────0─1─│─0───────│─────0─1─│─0───────│────────────││

││─3───3───│─────1───│─3───────│─────1───│─3───────│─────3───│─1───3──────││

││───0───0─│───0───0─│───0─────│───0───0─│───0─────│───0───0─│─2───2───0──││

││─────────│─────2───│─────2───│─────2───│─────2───│─────2───│─────────0──││

││─────2───│─3───────│─────────│─3───────│─────────│─3───────│─0──────────││

││─3───────│─────────│─3───────│─────────│─3───────│─────────│─────2───3──││

Build the road of peace before us        None shall push aside another

Build it wide and deep and long          None shall let another fall

Speed the slow, remind the eager         Work beside me sisters and brothers 

Help the weak and guide the strong       All for one and one for all

I recently picked up the compilation Saigon Rock & Soul, which collects Vietnamese rock music from 1968 - 1974, and CBC Band has been destroying me.

That drum sound and that guitar sound and those distant vocals and *explode*.

Man, I haven't listened to King Khan for like 3 years. I should fire that up again. Saw a live show at a pub in 2009 and it was fantastic.

I've been a bit obsessed with a few Jan Johansson pieces for the past couple of days: