Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I just bought the first Misfits and the latest Flying Lotus albums on vinyl, and that makes me really happy. I think Flying Lotus has gone a bit too harsh on his hi hats, because it can occasionally become grating on the human ear Yet, it is a much more cohesive effort than his previous record, which had strange slap-bass interludes that made everything feel a little disjointed.

I've just seen GodspeedYBE live, with dirty three opening for them. It was loud, violent, life changing and beautiful. Against them Sigur Ros concert from september looked like music for kids. The new matrial is excelent life(Mladic and Behemoth), but the higlights were Sad Mafioso(part of East Hasting) and Moyo. If you get a chance to see them, do it.

p.s.: if anyone is actually seeing them, could he pm me. I have “a t-shirt“ problem:)

Not the greatest mashup ever, since he just overlays the tracks without a whole lot of modification, but I was greatly amused.

I've also been on some kind of terrifying odyssey through late 90s/early 2000s music this past week.

Dave Grohl should really quit his day job because he is a phenomenal rock drummer and yet he fronts one of the blandest rock bands in existence, even if the first Foo Fighters record was really great in a strange, hypnotising way.

Also, Big Dipper just released a new record out of nowhere, which makes me nostalgic for their eighties stuff. Here is one of my favourite cuts, a power pop classic about an astrologer who understandings the workings of the universe but not why his marriage is falling apart:

Dave Grohl should really quit his day job because he is a phenomenal rock drummer and yet he fronts one of the blandest rock bands in existence, even if the first Foo Fighters record was really great in a strange, hypnotising way.

High school me just called. He's been watching a sweet Winamp vis while listening to Everlong. He said you're a jerk.

He will be playing drums on the next Queens of the Stone album. Sweet!

(I think Joey Castillo was excellent as well, though.)

Also, Nick Oliveri is apparently a guest vocalist on one of the tracks. Meh.

New fucking Tomahawk ooooooooooooosh

15970_447654838626783_580366800_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Tomahawkband

Tomahawk is back!

Where were they? What were they doing? Is this a reunion? Who are they now? What's next?

So many questions. Here are those answers and more!

Tomahawk took a break to discover the many truths of the universe. They also uncovered several non truths. They were primarily holed up in a special place similar to the many caves in the mountains of Appalachia. They found time to create the new tunes that make up their new record "Oddfellows" that will be released worldwide in January 2013 on Ipecac Recordings.

This is not a reunion... unless that means they will make more money.

So what does all of this mean? Ok, we will allow this final question. It means that Tomahawk is back! Rock and roll will be saved and destroyed. They plan to play live shows for the first time since 2003 and are willing to go anywhere as long as they can get a warm bed with cold pillows, a square meal and a boatload of cash.

No UK dates yet... but they're playing San Francisco twice! i fully expect the thumbs to be in attendances

http://tickets.gamh.com/evinfo.php?eventid=263831&r=affi&u=255051

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds > Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds - The New Generation.

There are some nice new effects in the new version, but by and large, Burton's gravitas carries it. Oh yeh - the guy playing the Artilleryman, someone from Kaiser Chiefs, fails pretty badly at his part.

My apologise if these guys have been shared before but I would highly recommend checking out BADBADNOTGOOD for anyone mildly interested in the jazz side of the musical spectrum. Their whole second album is up for free here: http://badbadnotgood.com/. They've also got a pretty awesome cover of Kanye West's Flashing Lights:

Reminded me of this

[Headbanging while making fire]

... which, in turn, reminded me of this:

Bleak, ambient track at the bottom of this post:

http://www.fluid-rad...dex-of-failure/

Nice. It reminds me of a few things, such as Labradford. It also made me think of

by Mogwai, but when actually compared they're not really all that similar (Close Encounters is perkier and less sparse):

It's generally the case that when one piece reminds me of another, they're not actually that similar.