Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Excellent. Pretty sure I built an entire Unreal level with "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven" on loop.

Didn't see this till now, but the guardian has had the new album up for streaming for the past week or so, it comes out this week I think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2012/oct/08/godspeed-you-black-emperor-stream?INTCMP=SRCH

The talk of bands and live shows on the ruination cast got me interested to seek out this thread on the forums.

As far as live bands go, one of the best live bands i've seen is White Denim. They've probably been mentioned here, but I haven't been able to go through the 50 pages yet.

I've always felt underwhelmed by their recordings, but they appear to be amazing live. This version of All You Really Have To Do makes me feel like running around screaming:

Brannigan, thanks for the Godspeed link!

The talk of bands and live shows on the ruination cast got me interested to seek out this thread on the forums.

As far as live bands go, one of the best live bands i've seen is White Denim. They've probably been mentioned here, but I haven't been able to go through the 50 pages yet.

For sheer spectacle and fun, the Flaming Lips should not be missed. I don't listen to their albums much, but I've seen them live three times now. Bjork was also one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

I've seen the Flaming Lips a couple of times now (one being a new year's show in OKC) and I agree. However, I didn't enjoy the second time nearly as much. This may be that I caught them on a bad night, but I think that the spectacle was a little lost after that first show.

I agree that they are a must see though.

holy crap that's my new favourite song.

on the subject of live shows: if you ever get the opportunity to see kid koala live i thoroughly recommend it. burlesque dancers, heavy metal puppets, a paper airplane fight, a conga line, a robot that sings the blues... great show.

on the subject of live shows: if you ever get the opportunity to see kid koala live i thoroughly recommend it. burlesque dancers, heavy metal puppets, a paper airplane fight, a conga line, a robot that sings the blues... great show.

I've never seen him live, nor do I know much of his music at all, really, other than this remix of Fog's Check Fraud:

For the terminally curious, here's Andrew Broder (who pretty much is/was Fog) demonstrating the turntablism in that track:

Any of you heard of Godspeed You Black Emperor? They just announced a new album, “Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!“.

Godspeed are one of my favourite bands, although I must confess to not having listened to them too much in recent years. Weirdly, I've owned a T-shirt with the back of the new album as its design for a year or so now. They were selling it during their comeback tour thing.

Anyway, the album's pretty great.

I bloody love this album Periphery II, it's the only band i've listened to in years that has become an instant favourite of mine

http://grooveshark.c...hery II/8012327

I never got into the first Periphery album and when I heard the first song from the second album the vocals just sounded too much like Linkin Park and I didn't listen to anything else on it. On the other hand the new HAARP Machine I love. I also liked The Safety Fire's album earlier this year is probably my favorite album so far in 2012.

Regarding the Godspeed album, I finally got around to picking it up and have listened to it maybe 3 times through, but so far I haven't really gotten into it. I'll keep listening to it and maybe it will grow on me, but so far it hasn't really done anything for me.