Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I've been listeing to a lot of Dredg recently (well I listen to them a fair amount, but even mroe so recently). They're a local band from around here in the San Jose/Los Gatos area, but I think at this point they're kind of big (relatively). They're playing two different shows at the end of December where they'll be playing two of their older albums in their entirety so I'm pretty stoked.

They are coming to Finland as well. Still wondering whether or not I should go.

Azealia Banks - "212" (ft. Lazy Jay)

The video alone is brilliant. Her mouth, the way she dances, those guys.

They are coming to Finland as well. Still wondering whether or not I should go.

You really should. Fucking great set.

Sony got any good classical music recommendations? I need some aspirational piano music for my bludgeoning self taught grade 3. Right now I'm loving Dvorak, but I want to start exploring some stuff from the early 1900s. I was reading up on Schonenberg and the twelve tone technique which seems like a nice starting point.

212 is so good. I was wondering how it was going to transition. The answer was: hilariously neutered.

212 is so good. I was wondering how it was going to transition. The answer was: hilariously neutered.
Transition? Neutered? I don't understand. Is there some horrible radio-version?

Well, the corus becomes

"I'ma ruin you

I'ma ruin you

I'ma ruin you"

Not quite the same impact:(

Edit: I just noticed I left out "transition to radio" in my last post. Super lame. Sorry for the confusion.

I dunno that was super disappointing. ):

Mashups are supposed to blend the different pieces of music together, not just overlay one on top of the other. Had so much potential, too!

Yeah, I just assumed that he didn't have access to the source files.

It still had its moments, though. That second drop. So good!

new Presets album out recently.... wasn't crazy about it at first, but it's growing on me

I thought the same thing with the new album, not what I was expecting after Apocalypso. Ghosts has definitely grown on me though.

The new Van She album is worth a listen though. Modular really goes sign some good artists.

Also, new DFA1979!! - https://vimeo.com/49899874

EDIT - Oh, and I also seem to be listening to this a few too many times. Can't get enough of it!

EDIT - Oh, and I also seem to be listening to this a few too many times. Can't get enough of it!

That was the song that got me into the Dirty Projectors

This may also take a few plays to catch on - it's by them and from the same era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4he_jgJrMCk

I've probably listened to their new album (Swing Lo Magellan) more than anything else that's come out this year

A lot of people are of the opinion that the song structure/writing is simpler (I suppose less "deep") than the previous album, Bitte Orca

The weird thing is that because I've listened to so much Bitte Orca over the years, my brain has dissected every song to the extent that they don't sound complex anymore

After a few spins, the new album fit right in - I didn't even immediately notice that the musical style was pretty different (it's definitely way tighter and neater)

I can remember walking home from work listening to Swing Lo Magellan on the day it came out, and I was super excited because I still wasn't yet familiar with every little moment in every track

Basically, my experience with their music has been like Stockholm Syndrome

At first I didn't understand them, eventually I began to empathise, and now (two memorized albums later) I'm totally speaking their language

Also, I'm from Sydney and The Presets are goddamn huge here (probably because they're local)

Dropping some E at a Presets show is a rite of passage for Australian youth

I'm going to see Meow Meow in the Southbank Centre this December. She's a cabaret act, which isn't usually my thing but she's just fantastic. There aren't a lot of good videos of her online so here's a shaky cam recording of a Patty Griffin cover.

I've probably listened to their new album (Swing Lo Magellan) more than anything else that's come out this year

A lot of people are of the opinion that the song structure/writing is simpler (I suppose less "deep") than the previous album, Bitte Orca

Oh man, that album is so good. It definitely is a step down from the musical complexities of Bitte Orca, but that is no bad thing I think. I would have been rather disappointed to find they had made simply Bitte Orca II.

Also, the first 90s of the album as as close to a Bjork song as I've ever heard not from Bjork.

Any of you heard of Godspeed You Black Emperor? They just announced a new album, “Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!“.

Excellent. Pretty sure I built an entire Unreal level with "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven" on loop.