Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I love/hate this.

There are very few 8 string guitarists that I like since most of them just play 6 string guitar with a bunch of heavy open chugging. One of the ones I do like is Tosin Abasi (from Animals As Leaders)

I was hoping that was going to be a Kate Bush cover:( Pretty epic nevertheless.

I swear I've heard that Tosin song before but I've never heard of him. I think it's because it reminds me so much of Cloudkicker!

http://cloudkicker.b...t-the-territory

Although now that I've listened to compare, they actually sound pretty different (at least within the genre that they share). But who cares! Cloudkicker is great.

I'd never heard this Björk cover of You Only Live Twice. It's pretty ace:

Aside: the original song plays at the end of an episode of Mad Men, but I was like, "wtf, why are they playing Millennium!?"

I completely missed this last year. 39 songs mashed together by a 17 year old French kid:

More fun to watch him "play" it out in real time.

More fun to watch him "play" it out in real time.

I just can't get enough of this.

I enjoyed that more than I ought, perhaps because I used to make similarly horrible sounds with a friend, mainly using computers.

In that case, may I also suggest Alvin Lucier's "I'm Sitting In A Room"?

I once saw a more recent but essentially identical experiment in projected video. Excellent stuff. I love that people go to the effort of achieving something something trivial in the digital world using much more time-consuming real-world effects. It's a strange intersection between the very natural qualities of the environment with the very unnatural technology that is sound and light recording. Regardless of Lucier's intention (which he makes clear), for me it's most special as an expression of something that's always there but only perceivable with intelligent intervention.

Alvin Lucier's "I'm Sitting In A Room"

That was indeed interesting. I mean, as a concept - I still did not manage to listen to it from start to finish. As a serious question: Can you listen to this as music? I mean, like, 'Oh, that was nice, I want to hear it again right now.' Or is it rather, I don't know, like with some obscure expressionistic short movie, that one watches rather for its artistic merit than for, mh, enjoyment maybe? Yeah, I know, stupid stuff, I might not make a lot of sense or probably miss half of it, and art can be very enjoyable, entertaining and--- now I'm not even sure what I'm asking anymore - you maybe?

Glad you liked Loch Lomond and The Jezabels.

I can certainly have that sort of stuff on in the background and enjoy it. Some electronic music is just too bitty and unmelodic for me to find bearable, but the intensity of that Call Me remix is a thing I can definitely enjoy.

There's some stuff I really enjoy in this, and I like the kind of phasing experiments that

, though an 8 CD set titled "Improvised Music From Japan" was too much. Improvised music tends to irk me; there's a lot of Jazz I find completely unlistenable.

I completely missed this last year. 39 songs mashed together by a 17 year old French kid:

Oh, man, Martin Starr! I like to do something like the noodle-arm thing at 3:09 when I'm bored and in a weird mood.

My girlfriend has roped me into a project that she's putting together with a few people. Everyone involved is making a 25 song playlist, one song by a band from each letter of the alphabet. I've got a pretty varied list here (ranging from Cool Keith to The Grateful Dead, with all points in between) but I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with one for U. There is exactly one song by any band starting with the letter U in my library, and it's the one song I can stand by U2. I'm not really even THAT fond of it, but used it in a thing a while back so it's on my computer. I don't want to have to use it, so I'll put this to you guys: What's a good band I should take a look at starting with U? I like stuff from pretty much any genre as long as it's good, but some genres (metal and electronic, mostly) have to try harder than others to impress me. Entries are of course encouraged to be something we actually listen to often, but everyone is expected to have a few "bye"s (in this case, something we found recently but really like) as well, as it can be tough to fill out a list like this.

To expand the options a bit, while usually an artist that just goes by their name is listed by first name in the rules for this list, I was allowed to cheat a bit and use Warren Zevon for my "z" entry, just because "z" is freaking hard. As such, first or last name will do. Any thoughts?

UNKLE maybe? Their stuff is pretty varied, so you'll probably find at least one song that you think is ok.

(The latter one is mostly just Mark Lanegan being awesome I guess.)

Or Ufomammut just for the shock.

(What is this shit? Only two youtube links per post?)

...and Utah Saints (though this is a remix because I love the video so much):

As for Z, how could you forget:

Ugly Ducking:

Those guys are really catchy. Looking into more of their stuff now after listening to three more linked tracks after the end of that video. Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I liked Utah Saints as well, but I'd probably only listen to them in something like a party situation. Dance and electronica I like well enough, but is really setting-specific for how much I'll enjoy it. Good hip hop always makes me happy though. I actually really like Ufomammut too, but also in a "soundtrack to a thing" way rather than a "listen to it regularly" way. Glad I heard it though, it was pretty damn cool.