Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Has JoCo been mentioned here before?

IUPu_ipbVB0

y4sOfO8Ei1g

?
Hahaha, nonono! Heavens no. This will serve as both a clarification and a plug.

I recently did a fan music video for a artist I like, Tobacco, who does extremely trippy music. Check it out!

XzvqthUBeiY

The kind of music I like is more along

lines: very trippy, lots of analog synthesizers, less rock.

Tobacco are fucking brilliant, thanks Snooglebum.

PGrL5qJF5pg

I think you might also like Solar Bears:

SHDAeWv-4P0

Tobacco are fucking brilliant, thanks Snooglebum.

PGrL5qJF5pg

I think you might also like Solar Bears:

SHDAeWv-4P0

That would Tobacco is fucking brilliant, it's one guy. He's brilliant nonetheless, though. If anyone enjoyed that Tobacco track, they should check out the band he comes from, Black Moth Super Rainbow. They're ace.

H52g8rZCdec

Also, I felt like that Solar Bears song had potential, but it was just a little too low-key for me.

Not explicitly music, but I remember some other Machine Head fans being on here. I am piss-your-pants excited. Also, Dave McClain is ridiculously talented.

sVQuXyzJ7do

Hahaha, nonono! Heavens no. This will serve as both a clarification and a plug.

I recently did a fan music video for a artist I like, Tobacco, who does extremely trippy music.

Well then, you can thank Merzbow for diverting any weird looks that might have been heading your way.

Seriously though, I think stuff has to be pretty extreme or experimental or extremely experimental to raise an eyebrow on the Internet these days. At least, that's my experience. I don't listen to a great deal of "unlistenable" stuff like that, but Merbow does have a track called Birds and Warhorse that I do genuinely quite enjoy.

That Black Moth Rainbow track is pretty good, though. I'm afraid the only analogue synth music I can think of right now is The Moog Cookbook, and they're not exactly trippy:

SHPkgIPDfcE

I'm just posting here to say I think i'm getting sick of radio again. With no TV I listen to it a lot, and goddamn the music selection is boring on BBC stations. The same stuff over and over and over. The BBC appears to be entirely in the pocket of the major record labels. But maybe that's what the listeners want. The morons.

On the other hand I can't stand the abominable adverts on commercial stations and the DJ's and chat stuff is way below BBC standard too.

Finally getting internet at home this week so I can blissfully go back to listening to independant internet radio stations. Ahh the absolute joy of it.

For some reason, I recently rediscovered The Lonely Island's first album, Incredibad. It's probably one of the best comedy music things I've ever listened to, mostly because they're both well-written (thanks, Andy Samberg) and actually are quite good musically. Boombox is a great example... I've read plenty of commentary saying "I almost kinda wish that this was not comedic... the electronic/trance along with Julian Casablancas makes this song something I'd listen to any day." Anyways, dig this old stuff up, it's great!

I'm just posting here to say I think i'm getting sick of radio again. With no TV I listen to it a lot, and goddamn the music selection is boring on BBC stations. The same stuff over and over and over. The BBC appears to be entirely in the pocket of the major record labels. But maybe that's what the listeners want. The morons.

On the other hand I can't stand the abominable adverts on commercial stations and the DJ's and chat stuff is way below BBC standard too.

Finally getting internet at home this week so I can blissfully go back to listening to independant internet radio stations. Ahh the absolute joy of it.

It's kind weirdly reassuring that radio in the UK is just as banal and horrible as it is in the US. We have the exact same problem here: certain songs gets are played ad infinitum on the radio until you want the creators to burn into piles of ash. Edited by Snooglebum
REMEASURING

Yeah, around here the radio channels also burn through their playlist every day.

The same stuff every day, so it gets boring during day 2 already.

I'm kind of mad at myself. I really, for some ungodly reason, really enjoy the sound of punk rock, but the lyrics utterly annoy me. Solutions don't seem to exist, since punk isn't the sort of thing to have an instrumental version. Ah well.

aBP6lFU-J2M

D-d-d-d-damnit me.

So I'd totally forgotten about these guys after tuning a Pandora station to almost nothing but them a couple years back. I also apparently ordered most of their discography from Amazon at some point. . . That or there's something wrong with the space-time continuum.

2n_JYkI3Y-s

I went to the Dutch Liberation day festival in Zwolle (cause I live there!*) and it was pretty cool.

20110505145658.jpg

Spread around that big stage were about 5 or 6 smaller stages, which I enjoyed a lot more -- generally better sound, better crowd and better music. ANYWAY, I saw this guy on one of the small stages:

Kir3jsBfRCk

He was pretty awesome live! Very energetic music and presence, way more than in most of the stuff I saw on youtube.

Then I found out about those Take Away Shows and I found this:

6hhE_sqJG3g

Wonderful idea, wonderful music. :D

[noparse]*Don't stalk me.[/noparse]**

**Or do, 's all good.

As I posted in the movie thread, I went to see Attack the Block. It has a really great urban soundtrack that is both representative of the London estate setting and harks back to base heavy scores from John carpenter movies.

Dubstep is slowly growing on me. It's horrible to dance to for more than ten minutes, but the film made me realise what great background music it makes.

My brother, who knows more about music than me, claims this isn't real dubstep. It might be drumstep or something. Basement Jaxx describes the track as 'bagpipe dubstep'.

anyway it's stuck in my head. Here it is:

vSktQtG7SjU

Pretty cool, very happy instrumental post rock.

Ahh.. post rock. I used to listen to that stuff a lot and now I'm almost completely fed up with it. I'm sure my interest will be revived one of these days.

Pelican usually works for me, though.

wPX9mHd0grM

Dubstep is slowly growing on me. It's horrible to dance to for more than ten minutes fucking awesome to dance to for hours at a time

:)

I despised dupstep until I tried dancing to it, then it suddenly made sense.

Edit: Your brother is correct. Much as I like Basement Jaxx, that's just borrowing things from dubstep and making them much gentler. It tends to have much harsher percussion and more complex basslines:

CoIZ3jWoGPA

uCHptTnXKUM

ha6pdeOUin8

Edited by Nachimir

Have I discussed. . .

64GyuozXtnQ

just how much. . .

wyz_2DEah4o

I love 80s TV themes?

HaQvBbzslJE

And while it may have only just ended in the 80s, for good measure. . .

2LnK8b_jk8w

Basically, I worship at the altar of Mike Post.

I join you in that worship.

He also made Silk & Stalkings, Renegade and Quantum Leap themes.

cA-u32Ck9uY

-F_Tk3Ep8oU

9VCfBPoVTnY

Oh dear, I want my childhood/youth back, holy crap these were awesome shows.

7-tNUur2YoU

I'm sharing this for the associated music video, which is one of the most amazing music videos i've ever seen.

I'm sharing this for the associated music video, which is one of the most amazing music videos i've ever seen.

That is incredible.